Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has 113k miles on it. Fuel Injector was replaced. Figured I put this out there since I'm not familiar with this van... any tips before I buy. I need a reliable van for my family of 4 to drive around the island.

·
Registered
9,239 Posts
You should find out if the van has been regularly serviced and fluids changed on schedule (engine oil and brake fluid)

Most importantly, check the automatic transmission fluid for pink color and no burning smell. Test drive the van and pay attention to the shift quality. Watch for signs of slipping between gears under acceleration. Also, the timing belt should have been replaced by now.

·
Registered
539 Posts
The transmission is your biggest question mark. I'd add $3500 to the selling price (cost of tranny rebuild) and if you're still happy with that number, go for it after having a thorough mechanical inspection. Check for proper operation of the power doors, the power rear wing windows, etc, as you can drop quite a lot of $ on paying for repairs to something like the power sliding doors.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Also being that it is an 02 run the VIN through Honda's website to see what recalls and TSBs have been done to it. In regards to the transmission, if it has made it to 115K without having to be replaced it might have a good one but call a few shops just to ask how much it would be to replace it. It will probably run more for you being that you are in HI. Having to ship everything in adds up.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Gotta ask, wow, 113K miles in Hawaii? our 2002 is from NJ, its been driven to Florida and Canada a couple of times, and it still has only 85K. How do you do 113K miles in Hawaii (and not even the big island)?

Our 2002 Ody has been the most reliable car that we've owned. Granted, we are paranoid about the tranny and change the fluid every 15K, but it's even been more reliable than our Accord.

You need to have the tranny checked out before buying. If its good, and the van seems to be well cared for otherwise, I wouldn't hesitate.

·
Registered
539 Posts
OddDrive said:
Gotta ask, wow, 113K miles in Hawaii? (snip)
It well could have been shipped over there used - there are a lot of military people (some of them even have families) on Oahu and maybe somebody got transferred there and then either upgraded or left and decided to leave the vehicle on the island.

·
Registered
7 Posts
make sure the timing belt was replaced recently - scheduled at 105,000 - deduct 1000 if it has not been.

our 2004 has been trouble free with 99k miles

·
Registered
166 Posts
Being the owner of an '02 Ody I would think that any Honda (as long as you see some service records) would be worth it at 113.000-miles. Our Ody just rolled 160.000-miles and we did have the transmission replaced by the dealer at 93.000-miles. Other than this I did the rear main seal as a precaution at the time the tranny was replaced. The Ody has been very reliable and we tow a trailer routinely. I would not hesitate to purchase the one you speak of if you can see service records and the price was right. :D

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts