Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I'm new to this website but I've been told to buy an odyssey when it was time. I'm currently looking at an 05 ex-l with 112k miles on it they are asking 12,600 for it. Well I decided to take it into the mechanic and he came back with 6 codes all of them misfiring plugs and he said the timing belt needed to be replaced too. Well I read the post on fixing this problem and I told the dealer the problems and they stated all they could do was give me the odyssey for 11,800 and that's the lowest they could go. What I'm wondering is It still worth buying and having to fix these problems afterwards or is it a lemon? When I drove it, it seemed fine maybe a little sluggish but probably due to the misfiring

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
Not a horrible price for a high mileage Ody, even one that needs a timing belt. I would be most concerned about the misfire codes. I'd only consider it if the dealer would replace the plugs and that cleared the codes and kept them from reoccurring. My fear would be that the misfire codes aren't just for bad plugs. Could be bad coils.....or something else.

By the way, in the one picture, the DVD player looks out of place. That could indicate there has been an issue with the unit, so if you do buy it, make sure the unit is fully operational.

Looking a bit closer...the carfax shows this vehicle was in an accident 7/2010, so I'd want to know more details as to the severity of that incident.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply, yeah the DVD player works just fine. As far as the misfires theybsay they cant fix it because they are a Toyota dealership and their techs cant work on hondas supposedly. Anyways tomorrow morning I'm going to test drive it again and meanwhile I'll test the coils if that's the case I'll buy but if it seems like more of a problem I won't. I just worry might be more to it than a misfire but on the other hand it drives perfectly

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh and the accident was just a tail light from what he said over the phone but il have to look at it more in detail. I will never trust a dealership

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
Madhouse said:
As far as the misfires theybsay they cant fix it because they are a Toyota dealership and their techs cant work on hondas supposedly.
That statement alone is a huge red flag for me, and would cause me to run from this deal faster than anything. So a Toyota dealer can't replace spark plugs in a Honda.....that is pure bull$hit.

·
Super Moderator
13,878 Posts
psu ody fan said:
That statement alone is a huge red flag for me, and would cause me to run from this deal faster than anything. So a Toyota dealer can't replace spark plugs in a Honda.....that is pure bull$hit.
+1. $11,800 for a vehicle with over 100K miles is a bit much for me to begin with. But for a vehicle that needs timing belt service and has misfires, there's no way I'd spend that kind of money. If he gives it to you for $9K then it'd be worth it as you'd have to make it road worthy on your dime. I'd run from this stealer too.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
I'm gonna go with Hell No

·
Premium Member
14,606 Posts
Too many red flags as mentioned.

There are too many "fish" in the sea to pick from.

Why buy into trouble?

Pass on this one......

:eek: :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks a lot, I was just inclined to buy this one because it's currently the cheapest one posted with 500 miles. The next one is in Utah they want 16k for it and it has 106k miles so I just figured even if I dumped 2k into it I was looking good. But you guys know better than me. I'll just keep looking

·
Registered
66 Posts
Madhouse said:
As far as the misfires theybsay they cant fix it because they are a Toyota dealership and their techs cant work on hondas supposedly.
Funny, the extended warranty I got (from a Honda Dealer) when I bought my 07 Ody was actually a Lexus (aka Toyota backed) extended warranty. They were able to offer that because they also had a Lexus dealership.

Tell them that's OK, just take it to a Honda dealer and have them do it before you buy it!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Oh, and maybe you should point out to them that their add in the link you posted states: "-Factory trained technicians ranked among the best in the region, -We are one of the few service departments that works on all makes and models,"

So why again can't they replace the plugs on a Honda?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah its become a joke, all they do is lie to cover up more lies. I told them no again today so they called me again lowering the price to 11,400. It's tempting because it doesn't seem to hard to fix the coils or plugs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just can't figure out why they keep on lowering the price and they don't just fix it myself. I just think the salesman I've been working with is shady. I just wish they could be upfront with ya

·
Super Moderator
13,878 Posts
Madhouse said:
Yeah its become a joke, all they do is lie to cover up more lies. I told them no again today so they called me again lowering the price to 11,400. It's tempting because it doesn't seem to hard to fix the coils or plugs.
There has got to be a reason why they're not fixing it themselves. Yes the coils and plugs are easy so what's holding them up is a question that begs to be answered. If I were in your shoes, I'd run from that van because it should be quite easy for 'em to just replace the plugs and get rid of the CEL and get more money but they aren't doing that for a reason we don't know.

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
dvpatel said:
There has got to be a reason why they're not fixing it themselves. Yes the coils and plugs are easy so what's holding them up is a question that begs to be answered. If I were in your shoes, I'd run from that van because it should be quite easy for 'em to just replace the plugs and get rid of the CEL and get more money but they aren't doing that for a reason we don't know.
It sounds like there is more to these CEL codes than a simple plug & coil replacement.

·
Registered
539 Posts
psu ody fan said:
It sounds like there is more to these CEL codes than a simple plug & coil replacement.
Yup, probably something a little more expensive that they don't want to pay to fix (catalytic converter maybe?).

I'd run too, where I live you can't pass emissions (usually required if it hasn't been done within 6 months of the title transfer) with a check engine light on anyways . . .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah I just found out it's illegal to sale a car at a dealership in Idaho that won't pass emissions. So I emailed the owner this morning telling him how I thought it was amazing how they rather lose their integrity rather than at most a couple thousand dollars

Anyways, thanks for all the replies

1 - 18 of 18 Posts