Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've noticed my '08 Odyssey Touring is slipping a little too much on wet roads even with a light foot. With winter coming, should I get a set of winter tires and then come spring get other tires? Or should I just get all season tires. On a tighter budget but I want what is best as I am a young driver! Also I live in northeast ohio.

·
Registered
11 Posts
There’s not a best answer. There are better choices for varying circumstances. I live in NC & all season is the way to go. In the very unlikely circumstance where we get snow... we mostly buy milk & bread (why???) ¯\(ツ)/¯ and we stay home a few hours or even a day.

OTOH, my son lives in CT. When it snows (a LOT), and you need to drive before your route is plowed, you drive on snow. 100% chance he, his co-workers, and neighbors drive on snow several times a year - and everybody who has the financial means switches to snow tires in winter (many do so for only one car; that’s the one you take if you absolutely have to drive in the snow).

Hopefully, this helps you make an informed choice!

·
Registered
394 Posts
I'm in the Chicago suburbs and I've always run all seasons on anything front wheel drive. I am only getting snow tires on my RWD car because my mom is driving it and I'd rather be safe than sorry

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
71 Posts
"All weather" tires are harder compound tires than snow tires and less sticky to the road below 7 degrees celsius, which is 44.6 degrees F for my American neighbors. Without factoring in snow tread for snowy areas--the snow or winter tire softer rubber compound will give you far better traction (and safety) in colder areas." All season " tires are a real traction compromise in cold climates. The choice is yours. My Ody was terrible in the cold and the snow with "All Seasons". Never again.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
If you have to drive in the snow often then a good set of snow tires can't be beat. The Odyssey is a heavy van so the extra traction helps. If you watch CL or FB marketplace you can sometimes find used tires that were only used for a season or two. Hard to beat a good set of non-winter Michelins for the rest of the year.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have never ran snow tires on any car I've owned and i live in CT. If the roads are so bad that you think you need snow tires you should stay home. Now with that said I would get a set of all seasons and drive as needed and plan ahead. The mindset that snow tires are better than all season is based on ones ability to drive the road your on in the vehicle your in and ideally an odyssey wouldn't be my first choice but It can get the job done. BTW 15 years without snows tires and never missed a day of work including the storm of 2012. Lastly, there are more good days than bad ones.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have never ran snow tires on any car I've owned and i live in CT. If the roads are so bad that you think you need snow tires you should stay home. Now with that said I would get a set of all seasons and drive as needed and plan ahead. The mindset that snow tires are better than all season is based on ones ability to drive the road your on in the vehicle your in and ideally an odyssey wouldn't be my first choice but It can get the job done. BTW 15 years without snows tires and never missed a day of work including the storm of 2012. Lastly, there are more good days than bad ones.

If You Live where it is really cold and snowy- Hint:maybe not CT. You need snow tires.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have driven across Canada more than once in the middle of winter and the ditch's are full of people with "all-season" tires. Not to mention the people they kill so they can spend their money elsewhere, and not on snow tires, in BC it is ILLEGAL to drive on some roads in the winter without snowtires. This is to save lives (not money).

·
Registered
37 Posts
You stated that you are a "young driver".

Driving in the snow is a skill that must be learned.
It can only be learned a little at a time,
and only with "seat of the pants" experience. (Hours of driving time)

There are many different types of snow conditions:
Some slushy, some powdery, some packed, some icy.
And most importantly....
You must stay aware and be able to recognize...
Road conditions OFTEN CHANGE while driving in the snow.
Slushy here, then complete ice in a mile or two.
They all require a different "mindset" and driving style.
And surprises (not the good kind) await you at any moment once underway.

I urge you to go out in the snow when you get the opportunity.
GO OUT ALONE, this is not party time.
Don't waste you time playing games in the mall parking lot.
Either late at night or early in the morning when there is very little traffic.
Travel streets you know very well.
Steering and brakes are to be used as little and as lightly as possible at all times.
No sudden inputs.
ANTICIPATE ALL POSSIBLE ACTIONS FROM ALL VEHICLES YOU ENCOUNTER.
(You are supposed to be doing that anyway)
Practice going up and down small hills, then move up to larger ones.
(It's all about momentum, going up AND going down)
Practice stopping in the middle of one of those hills, (going up the hill, and going down the hill) then get going again.
Practice driving/stopping ON A CURVE on one of those hills.
(going up the hill, and going down the hill)
If the curve has a good amount of camber, as most hills do, you "might" get to learn a new phenomenon, sliding off the road while doing absolutely nothing.

Some vehicles drive better than others in the snow.
I've had an Odyssey in my driveway for the last 19 years.
They are not that bad in the snow at all. (Not that great in bumper-to-bumper traffic on a curvy mountain road)
(See image above - leave space in front of you just in case you need to let the car roll instead of just slide into the woods, LOL)

Obviously, better tires will always give you better results.

I think...
A brand new set of quality all-seasons would do you just fine.

I (was) what they called an "Essential State Worker".
50 Miles commute one way.
30 years of service.
(A minimum of 675,000 commuter Miles)
100s of snow storms, at least a dozen blizzards, and about 3 or 4 hurricanes.
(1) day missed due to weather (Sunday morning, had to wait for plow to do my street, they didn't come by till 10AM)

Plus, I'm an active skier. (Those drivers are nuts!!!!!!!!!)

Now I'm retired, I got rid of the Subarus. (with dedicated snow tires)
The Oddyssey will do me just fine, and would be my choice (I own 4 cars) If I ever really needed to travel in an ocassional snow storm.

·
Registered
15 Posts
You stated that you are a "young driver".

Driving in the snow is a skill that must be learned.
It can only be learned a little at a time,
and only with "seat of the pants" experience. (Hours of driving time)

There are many different types of snow conditions:
Some slushy, some powdery, some packed, some icy.
They all require a different "mindset" and driving style.
And surprises (not the good kind) await you at any moment once underway.

I urge you to go out in the snow when you get the opportunity.
GO OUT ALONE, this is not party time.
Don't waste you time playing games in the mall parking lot.
Either late at night or early in the morning when there is very little traffic.
Travel streets you know very well.
Рулевое управление и тормоза должны использоваться как можно меньше и как можно легче.
Нет неожиданных входов.
ОЖИДАЙТЕ ВСЕ ВОЗМОЖНЫЕ ДЕЙСТВИЯ ОТ ВСЕХ ТРАНСПОРТНЫХ СРЕДСТВ, КОТОРЫЕ ВЫ ВСТРЕЧАЕТЕ.
(Вы должны делать это в любом случае)
Тренируйтесь подниматься и спускаться по маленьким холмам, а затем по большим.
(Это все о импульсе, повышаясь и понижаясь)
Потренируйтесь останавливаться посреди одного из этих холмов, а затем снова отправляйтесь в путь.
Практикуйте вождение / остановка НА КРИВАЕ на одном из этих холмов.
Если у кривой хорошее количество изгибов, как у большинства холмов, вы «можете» научиться новому феномену, соскользнуть с дороги, не делая абсолютно ничего.

View attachment 152962

Некоторые машины едут лучше, чем другие по снегу.
У меня была "Одиссея" на моей дороге последние 19 лет.
Они не так уж и плохи на снегу. (Не очень хорошо в бамперном движении на извилистой горной дороге)
(Смотрите изображение выше - оставьте место перед собой на всякий случай, если вам нужно дать машине катиться, а не просто скользить в лес, LOL)

Очевидно, что лучшие шины всегда дадут вам лучшие результаты.

Думаю...
Совершенно новый качественный всесезонный комплект отлично подойдет.

Я (был), что они называли «Основным государственным работником».
50 миль добираются в один конец.
30 лет службы.
Сотни снежных бурь, около десятка метелей и как минимум 3 урагана.
(1) день пропустил из-за погоды (в воскресенье утром пришлось ждать плуга, чтобы пройти по моей улице, они не приходили до 10 утра)

Плюс я активный лыжник. (Эти драйверы сумасшедшие !!!!!!!!!)

Теперь я на пенсии, я избавился от субаруса. (с выделенными зимними шинами)
«Одиссея» подойдет мне очень хорошо и будет моим выбором (имейте 4 машины), если мне когда-нибудь действительно понадобится путешествовать во время снежной бури.
[/ QUOTE]
Я живу в казахстане у меня всесезонная резина

·
Registered
37 Posts
And adding a little more mathematics...

My first car with anti-lock brakes, or even traction control for that matter, was obtained in 1999, 25 Years after I received my drivers license.

Learning to drive without those automations "I think" has helped.

LOL, the good old days, having little to no brakes at all, constantly letting off the brake pedal to try and get any type of stopping traction over and over again.

·
Registered
131 Posts
No doubt snow tires will provide better traction in snow and ice. I have never had them however.

I live near Chicago and typically they are pretty good about clearing the roads and even pre-treating them when snow is on the way. If the roads are really bad, I stay off them until they have had a chance to clear them.

The issue for me has been more about storing a set of tires, and the pain of hauling them back and forth from a tire shop if you don't have them mounted on wheels or don't want to change them yourself at home.

I may change my mind and consider snow or all-weather tires for one of my cars as my kids start driving though.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts

I've been driving in the snow for 35 plus years. I've used all types of tires and I can tell you snows are created for a reason. My wife and daughters cars get snows in the winter because I want them safe and do not want to dig them out of a ditch. I can live without but my truck is also 4 wheel drive. Yeah I do know 4x4 does not keep you out of the ditch but I'm a cautious driver. My driving record is spotless.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I'm up in MN and on my 4th Ody and I have never put snow tires on any of them. Certainly, they will give you better traction in the snow. I find that the primary issue is the driver, experience, knowledge of driving in the snow and always driving within your limits. If the conditions are especially slick, then there is not much any tire will do if you are going too fast or using poor judgement. We have many days here in the winter where knowledgeable driving in the snow is necessary. I tend to find that the biggest issue is with other drivers and their lack of snow driving ability.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm up in MN and on my 4th Ody and I have never put snow tires on any of them. Certainly, they will give you better traction in the snow. I find that the primary issue is the driver, experience, knowledge of driving in the snow and always driving within your limits. If the conditions are especially slick, then there is not much any tire will do if you are going too fast or using poor judgement. We have many days here in the winter where knowledgeable driving in the snow is necessary. I tend to find that the biggest issue is with other drivers and their lack of snow driving ability.
I have driven full time as all or part of my jobs across Canada for upwards of 30 years. My main want for snow tires is for family members ( not myself ). When the BRUTAL snow comes and the roads become impassible because of vehicles stuck in the snow. It is ALWAYS because of people like you--The "expert" driver who does not need snow tires in BRUTAL snow. A real expert winter driver who cares about their families and strangers lives has SNOW TIRES. SMFH. How much did you pay for your big screen TV ? Snows are not needed and cost too much for you though ? Again, SMFH. you can lead a donkey to water but you can't make it drink-- specially the expert donkeys.

·
Registered
37 Posts
What I was really trying to get at is:

Anyone can drive, and stop, on a flat, level, snowy surface.
Little to no skill involved.

Throw in some mountain roads, huge potholes, metal deck bridges, sewer caps, construction plates, unexpected changing road conditions and other (sometimes idiotic) drivers into the mix changes everything.

While driving in the snow, you will see others do the unthinkable, I guarantee it.

Case in point.....

Very familiar road, still within my town, my regular commute.
Heavy, wet snow falling, road has about 3" of snow, no plows out yet.
Traveling about 30-35 MPH. (speed limit changes from 35 to 45 at this point)
5AM, completely dark outside.
Little to no traffic at all.
Flat, level road.

Up ahead, an asphalt covered "straight as an arrow" flat & level suspension bridge, it's about 3/8 Mile long.
It has 4 lanes. (2 each direction)
No center divider. (double yellow lines only)
No shoulder at all. (4" curb, then about a foot to the metal guardrail)

Everyone and their mother knows "bridge freezes before roadway" right?

Upon getting on the bridge, wiggle, wiggle, sure enough, complete ice under the snow.

No problem, or so I thought.

I'm going straight, I don't need the gas, I don't need the brake, with little to no steering at all, I can just roll across it.

Sure enough, the brake lights on the car 1/4 mile up the road from me illuminate.
For whatever reason, they have decide to stop, right there in the middle of all 4 lanes!
Just as you get off the ice covered bridge and back onto the regular (non icy) roadway.

They made it safely across the ice covered bridge.

But then they stop at the immediate far side???????????

What do they want to do, take pictures????????

I lightly tapped the brake pedal, and that immediately upset my car.

"Hell with that" I say.

Let go of the brake pedal, and with as little steering input as possible, drove around the jackass, who was still just sitting there.

Travelling at about 15-20 MPH, I probably missed them by 2 feet or less, as I had squeeze between them and the right shoulder.

I didn't bother honking the horn or flashing the lights.

They obviously had no idea of the danger they were in.

And they probably would have thought I was the crazy one.

Maybe I was.

·
Registered
71 Posts
" I lightly tapped my brake pedal and it IMMEDIATELY upset my car " sounds like its time to PURCHASE GOOD SNOW and ICE TIRES. Thanks for proving my point, luckily your expert skills saved the day. I won't try to reason with people who know everything and won't listen to anybody, anymore. I get it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Oh, believe me.

I never intended to come off as some kind of an expert.

That I am certainly not.

Very, very sorry about that, no disrespect meant to you or anyone at all.

Never would I say I enjoyed commuting in the snow.

I'm glad it's over!
You can have it!
I never got paid an extra nickle for all that anguish.

And,
just for the record...

I was driving my 2005 Legacy GT 5 speed that day.

With dedicated snow......
ooops!

I mean....
winter tires.

Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3Ds

Those were great f'n tires!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Oh, believe me.

I never intended to come off as some kind of an expert.

That I am certainly not.

Very, very sorry about that, no disrespect meant to you or anyone at all.

Never would I say I enjoyed commuting in the snow.

I'm glad it's over!
You can have it!
I never got paid an extra nickle for all that anguish.

And,
just for the record...

I was driving my 2005 Legacy GT 5 speed that day.

With dedicated snow......
ooops!

I mean....
winter tires.

Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3Ds

Those were great f'n tires!
I did not mean to be such an asshole . I apologise. I just feel strongly about it. (I also am trying to quit smoking and feel a bit like an angry bear).

1 - 20 of 44 Posts