Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've currently got an 02 EX-L on order and am contemplating getting the NAV. My points of consideration are:

1. I have more use for the Nav than my wife, but my wife will be the primary driver of the van.

2. I travel a bit and could make great use of the Nav on my trips (plane trips).

These two reasons lead me to consider purchasing a portable GPS/Nav system rather than getting the NAV option with the van.

Any thoughts? Anyone know of good portable NAV systems? I use a Cassiopeia E-125 and could get the Pocket CoPilot which looks pretty good. The Garmin StreetPilot III also looks pretty good. Does anyone have experience with such portable solutions and with Honda's (Alpine?) NAV that can make comparisons?

Thanks!

·
Registered
483 Posts
Lifer:

Here's my take on this one. Others may disagree but this is my plan:

1. Do not buy the NAVI system from Honda as somebody already said here that not all cities are detailed and when asked why they were referred to Alpine. For $2 grand, you can do a lot of things like MODS
on your Ody.

2. Someone suggested the Garmin StreetPilot III which is portable (or any portable for that matter). For $799, you still have $1200 to spend on MODS
. You can take your portable NAVI to another car or any car for that matter. (Can you take this when you are camping?)

3. Did I mention that you have $1200 extra to spend on MODS?

But if you want the NAVI to play videos/games, then that's another story. There is a thread on this one.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I posted a thread about my Navi experience some time ago you might find interesting. There are a number of reviews out there on the portable GPS systems. I've read some of them, and it seems that none of the portable systems, at this time, offer the level of convenience and integration that the integrated NAVI does on the Honda. An add-on system you get integrated (for example, direct from Alpine) may be even more expensive than the Honda version, at least currently, but I would expect the prices to drop.

As far as detailed coverage areas go, that really should be the primary consideration. You posted from San Diego, which I'm sure is a detailed coverage area. I would guess that many places you'd drive to within CA would be in the coverage area as well. Other systems may have all the roads but be less accurate in terms of mapping, degree of turn required, etc. I think you'd be disappointed with the Cassiopeia E-125 Pocket CoPilot, but check out epinions, CNET, etc, I'm sure it's reviewed out there.

Certainly if you lived in Canada, like Kuruma, I would not recommend the Honda NAVI because it would be useless to you. (Not sure you can even get it there).

Check out what Nestor (Nemogira) went through to upgrade his non-NAVI into a NAVI Ody. Talk to people who are in detailed coverage areas about their NAVIs, and I think you'll hear most of them say, "Don't take away my NAVI." My other car is an Infiniti Q45, but my wife and I argue over the Honda because of the NAVI. It has saved my bacon more than once in getting around metro DC, avoiding traffic, etc. We love it. And I think it provides additional safety versus visual-only systems because it has integrated voice, turn-by-turn directions with speed sensitive queuing.

------------------
Eric
'01 SS EX/NAVI
Next up: Replace factory speakers

·
Registered
483 Posts
Bigrob: In my situation, would I be better off buying the Alpine NAVI than the Honda or just get the portable one? You see, the Honda NAVI system is not available here which sucks because we travel mostly to the US of A anyway. I'm not sure about the 2002. Mind you, the Alpine NAVI would be double purpose - movies/games & NAVI.

Thanks.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Whats wrong with good old Thomas Guide or Yahoo Maps?

------------------
'01 GG EX
Mud Guard, Wheel Lock, Cargo Tray, Weathertech Mats
leather steerling wheel cover, Pioneer 1655 speakers,
Lojack

·
Registered
368 Posts
Got our Navi on a lark, would definitely buy again if I had to purchase another ody. Way cool piece of equipment, way overpriced, but strangely, still worth it. You will LIKE it a lot. my $.02.

·
Registered
61 Posts
We usually travel with our laptop, so my choice would be CoPilot 2001 over the Navi. It's about $350 and loads like any software, then plug in included GPS receiver. Gives address to address directions with 100 million addresses! No need to pre-plan the trip. Just get in and go. It's verbal, too. Check it out at Travroute.com.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Kuruma:

Hard to say, because I don't know too much about the separate Alpine unit that you can get installed... I've heard it's slick but I don't know about the coverage area.

For the reasons I listed, I prefer an integrated unit - that works best for how I use it. I've read disappointing reviews of others systems, but some people are satisfied with their mobile units. You would have more versatility with a mobile unit, but you'd lose features, accuracy, and details. It may be difficult since they aren't sold your way, but it's really best to try them out and judge for yourself. Maybe on one of your trips to the US, you can try an Acura with the similar navigator. It's probably difficult to "try out" mobile units without buying them, but you might be able to return one if it doesn't do what you want it to. If you go with a mobile option, make sure you have the option to return it if you're not satisfied.

------------------
Eric
'01 SS EX/NAVI

·
Registered
342 Posts
I've got no experience with the NAVI version, I bought an LX.
I do have the monochrome version of the Street Pilot from Garmin. I've got the Map Sourse Metroguide CD's that allow me to use my PC to update the data chip in the GPS with full information across the country. I've used this system many times and have been very happy with it's performance. This is a basic system without voice capability and if you point to a place you want to go and ask it to take you there, you don't get turn by turn instructions. It simply points in the general direction you need to go and you have to figure out when to turn. The maps have proven detailed enough that this isn't a problem anyway. Since I've found out about the Street Pilot III which has voice capability and is supposed to calculate specific instructions to your asked for destination (something I believe the Odysseys NAVI is supposed to do) I'm considering upgrading sometime in the future. Actually, the main reason I probably wouldn't opt for the NAVI is that getting it also limits your options on certain other add ons. The accessory CD players come to mind. This may not be a factor for you but it is something to keep in mind if you think you'll ever be interested in getting them.

FWIW,
Good Luck & Drive Safe,
Steve

[This message has been edited by Intrepid175 (edited 07-31-2001).]

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the feedback folks. I think I'm going to try the Pocket CoPilot with my Cassiopeia. It's got turn by turn and voice commands (which I can play via the FM stereo with a neat little attachment) and will allow me to use the unit in any vehicle (even while traveling without our cars). Since I've got some time before we get our 02 Ody, I'll try this and see if I feel like I need "a step above" in the Ody NAVI.

Since I can try this option for about $250, it seems like a good choice to help me decide whether to spend the extra $2k for the Honda NAVI.

I'll let you all know how this goes...

·
Registered
910 Posts
I don't understand why NAVI is not an option here in Canada. Is it because Canada is not in the MAP of the DVD in the Honda NAVI ? I thought Honda/Acura uses the Alpine navigation system which does have Canada on it. But anyways I just bought the Pioneer Navigation system which uses the same map ( from the same company )and it can be used for games/dvd etc.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Oh yeah, and the Pioneer system has voice command too. I don't think the Honda system has it right ?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Correct, the Honda NAVI provides voice prompting but does not accept voice commands. I don't think NAVI is sold in Canada because there aren't detailed coverage maps on the current DVD release (and maybe the demand isn't as high)... so I'm not sure that the systems are based on the same DVD... the core data comes from the same mapping co, but it gets tailored before it's packaged on the DVD... that's why only Honda dealers are programmed into the Honda NAVI.

------------------
Eric
'01 SS EX/NAVI

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've got an '01 EX non-NAVI with a Garmin StreetPilot III and I love it.

I like the fact that I can pull the streetpilot and take it with me to drop in a rental car on travel.

------------------
'01 DEP EX in Fairview Park, Ohio
Click here for pics.

·
Registered
568 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by perlguy9:
I've got an '01 EX non-NAVI with a Garmin StreetPilot III and I love it.

I like the fact that I can pull the streetpilot and take it with me to drop in a rental car on travel.

</font>
How much did you pay for it? Guess another toy for "Wifey" eh?

------------------
'01 GG EX
Mud Guard, Wheel Lock, Cargo Tray, Weathertech Mats
leather steerling wheel cover, Pioneer 1655 speakers,
Lojack

·
Registered
206 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by sa9651:
We usually travel with our laptop, so my choice would be CoPilot 2001 over the Navi. It's about $350 and loads like any software, then plug in included GPS receiver. Gives address to address directions with 100 million addresses! No need to pre-plan the trip. Just get in and go. It's verbal, too. Check it out at Travroute.com. </font>
How well do you like it? I was thinking about doing the same and read some reviews that basically said coPilot is bugging and not very accurate. A lot of posters recommended street atlas warrior addition and earthmate. I'd like to hear your thoughts as a user.

------------------
Future owner of a '02 Ody
Current owner of a '96 Grand Caravan & '98 Mazda 626

1 - 18 of 18 Posts