Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know a lot of you have replaced the speakers in you Ody's, but I haven't seen where anyone has installed Honda's subwoofer. The system sounds so much better than our old Windstar that I think we are happy with the speakers, but it really needs a little more "lows".

Would I be do better just to replace the existing speakers in hopes of all around better sound, or add the subwoofer? I've done my own stereo installations in the past, but I really don't want to tear into the dash of a 30k+ automobile right away.

·
Registered
72 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Car2ns:
I know a lot of you have replaced the speakers in you Ody's, but I haven't seen where anyone has installed Honda's subwoofer.............</font>
Many discussions of this, search on this site for Kelton subwoofer.
In my opinion, do both, a great addition to the overall sound. If you have a 2002 model the speakers (both front and rear) are different than previous years.

------------------
'01 SS EX: Fenderwell trim, mud guards, door edge guards, Weathertech bug deflector and wind shields, Sylvania cool blue headlights, PIAA Xtreme white reverse lights, OEM leather steering wheel wrap, Plug 'N Go center console, '02 middle seat cupholders, Honda cargo mat and cargo tray, LX model cargo point holders and net, Sound FX antenna mast by Rally, OEM Kelton subwoofer, OEM CD-changer, OEM cassette player, HandA front speaker upgrade (Pioneer), Pioneer 1086 rear speaker upgrade.

·
Registered
39 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"> I've done my own stereo installations in the past, but I really don't want to tear into the dash of a 30k+ automobile right away.[/B]</font>
Don't be afraid! It is a little scary drilling the hole for the on/off button but the installation is really plug and play. And the results are worth it! The sub really fills in the lows and if you turn it up you can also get a nice butt massage.

Just remember that the sub only works when the key is "on". I went nuts trying to figure out what went wrong when I turned the key to "accessory" and the radio played without the sub. That's the one thing not spelled out clearly in the installation instructions.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Car2ns,
As stated, lots of previous discussion. Many people have had great success with the Kelton. Most state that it needs to be adjusted to nearly its lowest gain with a fairly low x-over f, else it is very loud relative to the rest of the (stock) system and somewhat boomy. It's a clean installation solution for the Ody, if you want something well integrated and stealth. Also the price is very reasonable.

I think you've already answered your own question here.. If you are happy with the stock speakers, and just want more low end, go with the sub. If you feel the overall sound quality is poor, do the speakers FIRST, and then re-evaluate. A good set of 6.5s up front will improve SQ more than any other upgrade you can do (obviously this is a subjective comment). And the 6.5 upgrade will give you a LITTLE better bass performance.

Good Luck!

------------------
-Shin John
'01 DEP EX, and I'm workin' on it! (slowly)

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
At a minimum, I would start off with replacing the front speakers. Once you do this you will realize how bad the OEM speakers are. DO A SEARCH and you will find exhaustive, yea, picayunish and anal retentative, prior posts on the subject. Most favor the Pioneer speakers. Then, make a decision to replace the rear speakers and maybe add a sub woofer.

------------------
2002 TW EX; Weathertechs; Splash; 4X Pioneer 1695's w/ Blaupunkt Casablanca head unit; Hella Supertone Horns; Hitch w/ Transmission & Power Steering Coolers; 2001 Five-spoke Alloy Wheels.
2000 Honda CBR 929 RR

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ljayweiss:
Do the 6.5s fit in the existing opening for speakers ('02 model) or are any mods required?</font>
In the '02, 6.5"s fit front and rear. Depending on the model, some cutting of plastic (very easy to do) may be required. In the back, you may need to drill a hole or two if you want a really secure mount.

Also commented in the new thread you started... sinbad has some good thoughts here too!

------------------
-Shin John

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by sinbad:
DO A SEARCH and you will find exhaustive, yea, picayunish and anal retentative, prior posts on the subject.
</font>
Hey, who you callin' picayunish and anal retentive?

------------------
-Shin John

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Shindog, both of us! (LOL) For our scholarly, learned and exhaustive treatment of the subject matter.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dMax:
Anagram:
Picayunish - Shin, CIA? Yup.

Don't ask me why...
</font>

Wow. Hard, hard core, man! LOL!!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dMax:
Sorry, SJ - couldn't help myself.</font>
OK, now I know my wife is right.. I do spend too much time online and I am a bad influence on others!

------------------
-Shin John

1 - 14 of 14 Posts