Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I bought a 2007 pre-owned Odyssey w/RES/NAV the other day from a dealer that has lifetime power train warranty. The "catch" is that you do oil changes every 6k miles ($27 with coupon) and tire rotation (I don't know how much $) with their service department.

I was wondering if I should just go ahead and do the oil changes/tire rotation with them rather than get an extended warranty.

Any thoughts.

My logic is as follows:
Assuming I pay an extra $50 every visit to the dealer (for tire rotation) and do three trips a year that is $150 per year and 18k miles. In three years, I would have paid the dealer $450 extra (well it would be a little less assuming I would do some tire rotation but that is a different story) but they would warranty my engine/powertrain for 54k miles more. This sounds like a fair deal to me.

I normally would go higher mileage between oil changes and put synthetic fluids but why bother with the protection I am getting anyways. The downside is that other components are not coverede

Comments, suggestions???

·
Registered
178 Posts
the EW covers everything outside of the power-train. My '03 suffered a broken rear vent window motor, broken engine mount, blown tranny, failed oxygen sensor, and failed ABS sensor. Unfortunately all but the O2 sensor broke outside of the 7/75 EW I bought, but that gives you an idea of what could go wrong.

I'm getting an 8/120 on my new EX-L.

I'm not sure I would spend the money on synthetic if the dealer were covering the engine for life. why bother spending the extra money?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The pricing I am getting on warranty (after market) is as follows

3y/36k $100 $1335
5y/50k $100 $1825.

Currently at 52k so wondering if the price justifies buying the warranty. I am assuming I'll be driving close to 18k a year.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I personally would go with an extended warranty. The extended will cover way more on average than a conditional dealer warranty. The thing about the type the dealer is offering, is that they will usually find any reason they can to not approve your claim.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I *think* I am looking at same dealer warranty as tigerclaws... in the process of buying a used Odyssey there...!!

The language of the warranty seem to have enough slack for easy coverage avoidance.
Sadly, same company (I think) has a simplistic, short YouTube blurb that does not even mention the need to do oil changes there... hmm.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts