Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Would you purchase this car?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New member here, my wife and I are wanting to purchase the 5th gen odyssey, specifically the elite trim for the cabin watch camera and other small luxuries it has, in addition to the 10speed transmission that I’ve heard is better. We’re adding a 3rd child and need room for multiple car seats. We’ve found one in our price range, it’s a 2019 Elite with 45k miles. I assume that’s mostly highway just bc of the mileage and how new it is but not positive. The asking price is $33,275 before taxes/fees. Am I dumb for thinking this is a good deal? My father in law is a mechanic so I’ll have him look at it. Any thoughts or feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks,

matt

·
Registered
202 Posts
Beware of the knocking engine issue. Some have it, some don't.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Are you buying from a dealer or private party? Private party range according to KBB is $34-$36k; dealer range $35-$39k. If it hasn’t been in any accidents, that looks like a great price.

·
Registered
478 Posts
for $33k you can get brand new 2020 EXL with zero miles on it and 10 speed... extra small options just not worth it, imho. well maybe LED headlights, but that is it

·
Registered
884 Posts
I’m in Canada so I can’t comment on the price. I have a 2018 Canadian top of the line.
As u point out you have the 10 speed transmission which at least so far has not developed the reputation of the nine speed. I have about 55000 miles on mine. I think the cabin watch which seems to factor into your decision is a gimmick. The picture is poor with a purple hue and there’s other threads in this forum that address software glitches with the cabin watch and many other of the high end selling points. It’s still a beautiful vehicle to drive and you can’t beat it with a young family. This is my fifth.

My advice. Buy new but a lower trim level. Most of the extras you are buying in the higher trim levels will give you more headaches than satisfaction.

·
Registered
623 Posts
New member here, my wife and I are wanting to purchase the 5th gen odyssey, specifically the elite trim for the cabin watch camera and other small luxuries it has, in addition to the 10speed transmission that I’ve heard is better. We’re adding a 3rd child and need room for multiple car seats. We’ve found one in our price range, it’s a 2019 Elite with 45k miles. I assume that’s mostly highway just bc of the mileage and how new it is but not positive. The asking price is $33,275 before taxes/fees. Am I dumb for thinking this is a good deal? My father in law is a mechanic so I’ll have him look at it. Any thoughts or feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks,

matt
That is a terrible deal.

I‘m in Columbus,OH and have a 2018 Elite with 16k on it. I’ll sell it to you right now for $33k, title in hand.

If you already owned that van with that mileage and wanted to trade it in, dealer would offer you low to mid $20k.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Buy 10 speed, I hear 9 speed transmission have some issues for some people. Price, I already said it’s too high for that many miles (that’s 72,000km some rode in 1 year), that’s almost 3 times what’s considered normal yearly mileage in Canada 25,000km)

Negotiate price of the van you are buying first before declaring you have something to trade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all of the advice. I’ve been reading how a lot of the higher end options probably aren’t worth it/may not work. I was able to negotiate the dealership down another 1500. Still discussing with wife about if we should go with a lower trim model.
Shrimpmoney you seriously would sell your van? It’s quite tempting to buy it from you.

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
2,723 Posts
Thanks,

matt
Not for all the tea in China. If it's been rode that hard and is back on a dealer's lot already, I'm willing to bet it's been put away wet too. Like everyone else has already pointed out, the price is way too high.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I bought extra 5 year bumper to bumper warranty from Honda for $1500 for my 16 Civic. Maybe it is possible with Odyssey?
He could buy the extended Hondacare, but it’s substantially more given the mileage.
Is this a CPO?
Nonetheless, a new Elite is $42k, and if you got it at end of year, you can catch 0% financing.

Now he will have to pay over 3% interest. This was either used as an Uber vehicle or a taxi.

·
Registered
478 Posts
He could buy the extended Hondacare, but it’s substantially more given the mileage.
Is this a CPO?
Nonetheless, a new Elite is $42k, and if you got it at end of year, you can catch 0% financing.

Now he will have to pay over 3% interest. This was either used as an Uber vehicle or a taxi.
In my case it was lease return, I bought my own lease return lol

·
Registered
47 Posts
Read up on the elite features.
Cabin watch overheats and doesn't work for more than a few minutes.

The on board vacuum is not great.

The RES is a pain to actually use. I have a RES and wish I'd saved the $2k.

For the price: a 2020 EX-L is your best bet. New. Warranty. Etc.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I don’t believe Cabin Watch issues are heat related. I think the video graphics card has insufficient memory to process two video displays at once.

Leave it to the bean counters to mess up a feature of the vehicle to save $10.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Add two Tablets with offline Netflix, for movies and enjoy 10 speed with brand new 2020 EX-L,you should be good for 10 years.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts