Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should I sell my 2001 Odyssey with a failed transmission to a salvage yard for $750 or keep the car and pay $3000 for a rebuilt transmission?

The rebuilt transmission will have the design flaws addressed and a transmission cooler will be installed. Warranty on the rebuild is 24 months/24,000 mi. The car has been kept up to date on maintenance with a Honda dealer and is in very good condition otherwise. There is no rust as it’s an Arizona car. The vehicle has 183,000 mi and within the last year I have had to replace the compliance bushings, a power steering hose, a door lock, and a CV boot besides the regular maintenance issues (brakes and tune-up, timing belt was done about 31k mi ago). So, it seems the car was starting to nickel and dime us to death. KBB value for this year and mileage is about $4200 (for a vehicle that runs). We have a 2002 Accord (100,000 mi) and we just bought a 2012 Odyssey, so we have 2 reliable cars. The purpose of keeping the old Odyssey would be to use the vehicle occasionally by my wife and myself and teenage son who is just learning how to drive.

·
Registered
626 Posts
The way to look at it is this... Ask yourself these questions...

Do you need a third car? Sounds like your son may need a car soon, so maybe the answer is yes.
Aside from the transmission, is the car otherwise in great shape? Sounds like it is/
The big question is... for $3750, can you get a different used car that is in the same or better shape than your Ody with tranny fixed?? Answer is probably no.

So I agree with the other reply above... keep it!

·
Registered
305 Posts
If you fix it, I'll bet you can sell it for more than $4,000. Look in your local Craigslist to see what they're listing for.

·
Registered
263 Posts
This is very subjective, but let me throw my two cents in. Ask yourself two questions, one practical and one [double] emotional:

1) Practical: Even buying a new transmission, is the 2001 Odyssey still more van for the money than you'd get spending that elsewhere?
2) Emotional: Have you gotten your value out of the van and do you really even want the van anymore, or would you rather have a truck or some other 'different' type of vehicle as a spare and for the tennager to learn with?

Looks to me like you are considerate with your money and get value out of your cars. Nothing wrong with interjecting a bit of emotion into the deal. I am also about to purchase an Odyssey, but the old Odyssey is too GOOD [in my case] to get rid of. Still, I don't have car payments of any type and my emotion says I've had that old Odyssey for 8 years [wife drove] and I just would rather drive something 'different', since most of the time it would be parked in my employers lot anyway. I like to drive and driving the 1st Gen Ody just isn't as enjoyable as my Accord, or the old Ford truck. Emotion will likely cause me to sell the Ody and keep the higher mileage Accord and less efficient Ford truck, but I'm ok with that. I get excelent value out of my used cars and we pay cash, so no loss here.

I was in the same situation with an Accord [1996?] that needed a transmission. I sold it to a dealer for $1000, with a slipping transmission. He had a wrecked donor car. I've seen Odysseys like yours with blow transmissions for sale between $1000-2000. Not sure if they ever sell, but a dealer can usually find a wrecked donor van and make a few thousand on a clean rebuild.

Good luck, Chaz.

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
Consider Jasper or Gator for a replacement transmission instead of a reman from Honda. Many have reported good luck with these.

Your teenage son will be a whip if he can learn to parallel park the Odyssey. ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
RMP Transmission

Hi, Had my 99 Ody transmission rebuilt 2 yrs ago, and already failed again. Wife buying new 2012 Ody today, but I am porbably getting a remanufactured trans for the 99 and keep as our second van. Selling the VW Golf. The guy who rebuilt the trans the first time is offering a "discount" on re-doing it again $2750 (versus 3200) for a RMP brand. Never heard of them? Any pos/neg experience with the brand RMP? I only wanrt to let them do it again if they are truly giving me a little good will on the cost.. so, what's the best price for reman trans installed?

Last question: Has anyone had any luck negotiating Honda Service discounts on old car, when buying new Honda? Want to make the salesman work a good deal on the transmission too....Thanks for advice.

·
Registered
263 Posts
@pmgdad - A friend of mine just had his fail at 157k on a 2004. He paid $3700, but got a 3 year/100k warranty. Can't remember the name, not 'Gator' but the other one I hear as being real good. Jasper! That is it. Saw it above.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks. The PMR is sounding good, just not as well known as Jasper. I think I need the transmission cooler too...five kids, dog, roof box, bike rack on the hitch...

·
Registered
263 Posts
My understanding is the Jasper came with the great warranty [3 year/100k] and he said it was the only one he found who stood 100% behind work, free towing, rent car, etc in contract. He decided it was worth the extra $600 over some other quotes he got.

It IS amazing how heavy those vans get when you start filling them with kids, other animals, and STUFF ain't it?? Plus, the Odyssey is already so darn heavy.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Aero_Engr, you can get more than $750 for that van. If you lived near me I would buy it for more than that. As for keeping it or not, that's your call and it sounds like you don't want to keep it. I have kid #2 & #3 taking drivers ed starting next week, kid #1 has been driving for a couple years now. We have a 92 Civic with 240k on it that makes for the best 1st car to drive. It's auto so limited power but has fun stuff like a moonroof. That old beast will be in the stable until they are ready for another car or it's gets broken in a big way. To me the van is not the best 1st car to learn on, partially because it is a powerful vehicle.

·
Registered
263 Posts
One kid driving and two in Driver's Ed! OMG. I've got ONE just ready for Driver's Ed and that's enough for my nerves. :\

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Pmgdad and anyone else looking to replace their broken Odyssey transmission: I suggest you shop around for a transmission shop that knows and understands the problems with the early 2000s transmissions. Besides rebuilding the tranny, the shop needs to address design flaws in the transmission itself. For example, the torque converter is very weak and there are a only few shops in the nation that will produce decent ones. Another example of a flaw is one side of the Ody tranny cases is weak where one of the shafts is supported. Over time the shaft support will elongate causing problems with gear mesh, etc. Your transmission shop should know about this and be able to "fix" these and other flaws. In addition, a transmission cooler is strongly recommended. I wish I would have done my research when our 1st Ody tranny died. The 2nd one lasted only 45k mi. It was a straight rebuild from the dealer and no mods.

BTW: thanks everyone for their feedback. My wife and I decided to junk our 2001 Ody for financial reasons.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
One kid driving and two in Driver's Ed! OMG. I've got ONE just ready for Driver's Ed and that's enough for my nerves. :\
Actually, it's nice having someone who drives. My oldest has been driving for almost 3 years and no tickets or accidents involving others so far. He did hit a street sign because of a fogged up window. Having to pay $250 for a new bumper made him a bit more cautious. As for the other 2, it's gotta happen because I hate being a taxi. BTW, we are sending 2 at once because the older one is my daughter, I feel better if her brother is with her because she's a bit naive.

·
Registered
14 Posts
@pmgdad - A friend of mine just had his fail at 157k on a 2004. He paid $3700, but got a 3 year/100k warranty. Can't remember the name, not 'Gator' but the other one I hear as being real good. Jasper! That is it. Saw it above.
My 2000 has 146,000 and I just had the Jasper Transmission installed for $3,800. The Jasper Tranny has the 3 year/100k warranty.

I understand the frustration. Since the tranny, I've had an oil leak and now the door look is broken. I am in the same boat. I have an 17 year old that just got his license.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Honda=Safety

KEEP IT!

1999_ODYSSEY_REAR_DAMAGE_001.jpg 1999_ODYSSEY_BROKEN_DRIVERS_SEAT_WELD.jpg

My 17 year old daughter was driving our old 1999 Honda Odyssey EX with 220,000 miles on it when she was rear-ended by a 19 year old (uninsured of course) in a Toyota Tercel. His front end was crumpled to his windshield. They estimate he was going at least 50 mph. My daughter was stopped waiting to turn left. She suffered whiplash, headaches, some back pain, and post traumatic stress - but she is alive!!! He had to be taken away in an ambulance (he survived somehow). The long and short of this was that the van held together (except for the driver's seat which broke at a weld - daughter only weighs 120 lbs). The back seat was folded into the floor so I think that contributed a bit to the overall integrity of the van. Impact drove sliding doors forward and only mean of egress was through front two doors (she was the only occupant thankfully). The roof even buckled. The rear did shatter but the impact caused all the glass to fly outward so there was no glass inside.

Up to that point the van had been a very reliable vehicle. We bought it new (after waiting 5 months to get it). It had 220,000 miles and could easily go another 100,000.

However, I will trade a crumpled vehicle any day for the safety of my children.

·
Registered
346 Posts
My neighbors kid has been driving for 2 months. Just totaled their 2011 civic. Every day I come home and check my son's Highlander for dents. They are going to wreck.

That being said, a van and a teenage kid do not mix. How do I know? We had a van when I got my license at 15.

Go to a the used car section of town and wheel and deal for a crx or something with 2 seats. They have mechanics that will get the van running and will make lots of money on it "selling" it to a high risk, no credit person, repossessing it, selling it again, etc. They can get more for it than an old beater on their lot.

·
Registered
2011 Odyssey LX, 120k miles
1,918 Posts
KEEP IT!

View attachment 56218 View attachment 56226

My 17 year old daughter was driving our old 1999 Honda Odyssey EX with 220,000 miles on it when she was rear-ended by a 19 year old (uninsured of course) in a Toyota Tercel. His front end was crumpled to his windshield. They estimate he was going at least 50 mph. My daughter was stopped waiting to turn left. She suffered whiplash, headaches, some back pain, and post traumatic stress - but she is alive!!! He had to be taken away in an ambulance (he survived somehow). The long and short of this was that the van held together (except for the driver's seat which broke at a weld - daughter only weighs 120 lbs). The back seat was folded into the floor so I think that contributed a bit to the overall integrity of the van. Impact drove sliding doors forward and only mean of egress was through front two doors (she was the only occupant thankfully). The roof even buckled. The rear did shatter but the impact caused all the glass to fly outward so there was no glass inside.

Up to that point the van had been a very reliable vehicle. We bought it new (after waiting 5 months to get it). It had 220,000 miles and could easily go another 100,000.

However, I will trade a crumpled vehicle any day for the safety of my children.
I'm glad to hear the van did a lot to protect your daughter. Interestingly, a lot of your info matches mine: waited ~5 months to buy our '99 EX new back in 1999, my daughter was 1 back then, will turn 17 next month, starting driving now, our '99 has 222k miles on it, can easily go another 100k. Luckily for us, daughter and car are still safe and sound.

I hope your daughter recovers fully!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts