Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had this vehicle for over 18 months and have changed the oil every six months because I don't drive much. I have 4600 miles on the od. I've done the recall on the doors and honestly I've had no issues with the van. It is my first Honda. I'm seeing more and more horror stories about knocking engines, bad transmissions, electrical problems, etc. Should I get rid of it or trust my first Honda to be all I've heard Honda's are supposed to be?

·
Registered
272 Posts
I've had this vehicle for over 18 months and have changed the oil every six months because I don't drive much. I have 4600 miles on the od. I've done the recall on the doors and honestly I've had no issues with the van. It is my first Honda. I'm seeing more and more horror stories about knocking engines, bad transmissions, electrical problems, etc. Should I get rid of it or trust my first Honda to be all I've heard Honda's are supposed to be?
If you are not having any issues, it makes no sense to trade it in and take a depreciation hit. Just enjoy your van.

Reactions: crmccomb

·
Registered
272 Posts
Not all vans are affected. In fact, I would bet that a very very small number of vehicles are affected. So if yours is not affected, just enjoy the van. I was one of the unlucky ones who got a van that l felt it literally would put my family in harm or death and the dealer could not address it, which at that point I had to decide if I want to keep it and chance my family’s well being or get rid of it, so I got rid of it.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I would agree with @Hangman...My first Ody (2018 EX-L) was a lemon and I was constantly at the dealer for a few issues all the time. I absolutely love my second Ody (2019 EX-L NAV/RES) and have only been to the dealer once to fix a brake pedal sensor. I would say stick with what you know to be good.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the feedback. This is my retirement vehicle and I hope it is as dependable as Honda's are supposed to be.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I agree with the other posters. No point in taking a bath on depreciation when there’s no guarantee the later builds will prove to be any more reliable overtime than your 2018. For all we know the coveted 10 speed transmission which I think may be Honda’s first attempt at designing and producing a transmission of their own may turn out to be more problematic than the 9 speeds.

But I have to challenge your comments on Honda reliability. Here’s a few posts I made under other threads.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know Honda's past reliability being good, and that's one reason I picked the Odyssey. I drove all the other minivans and some of the midsized SUVs. The Honda drove better and was by far the quietest. It's the most expensive vehicle I've ever purchased, but now being retired on a much lower income, I'm a bit concerned about being able to purchase more vehicles. Time will tell. Thanks to all for responding.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I know Honda's past reliability being good, and that's one reason I picked the Odyssey. I drove all the other minivans and some of the midsized SUVs. The Honda drove better and was by far the quietest. It's the most expensive vehicle I've ever purchased, but now being retired on a much lower income, I'm a bit concerned about being able to purchase more vehicles. Time will tell. Thanks to all for responding.
We have such nice posters hear. Agree, with the number of miles you drive per year. It may take many years for
issues to surface. Some problems take "miles" not "time" to surface.

Oh, if van has VCM, be sure and disable. (see other posts).

:)
You already purchased the van. So no point in trading in, Depreciation big hit. You might not be aware, Consumer Reports, I think gave the 2018 odyssey below average rating.

Good luck

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I became aware of the rating after my purchase, but while I subscribe to Consumer reports, they do not always get it right. Thank you for taking the time to respond.

·
Registered
272 Posts
One thing to be aware of is that recalls and reliability are two different things and are independent of each other. Recalls are safety items, not reliability items. For example, a very reliable Toyota Camry is affected by the Takata airbag recall. This has nothing to do with its reliability. Whereas a very unreliable Fiat may not be affected by the Takata airbag recall, but it is extremely unreliable. They are two seperate things and hence, recalls can't be used as an indicator of reliability.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I became aware of the rating after my purchase, but while I subscribe to Consumer reports, they do not always get it right. Thank you for taking the time to respond.
They are sweet to drive. Hope you have many years of trouble free retirement driving.
And I agree. CR doesn’t always get it right. I’ve owned 5 Odys since 2002 and have subscribed to CR much longer than that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts