Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really like this forum, but I think it would be better if members were allowed to edit or delete their own posts. Current forum policy only allows editing for about ten minutes after you post - any longer than that and your post is "locked in". So if you wish to edit something that is not clear or an attachment didn't come out like you wanted it to - you currently can't correct it. You can't go back and add a picture or make any changes to an existing post.

Simple Yes or No: Would you like to be able to edit or delete your own posts any time you want to?

I vote "Yes".

tallra1

·
Super Moderator
13,539 Posts
I doubt you will be able to get that changed regardless of how many people want it changed. Most forums running the new forum s/w no longer allow edits and or deletes of your own posts after a certain period.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I doubt you will be able to get that changed regardless of how many people want it changed. Most forums running the new forum s/w no longer allow edits and or deletes of your own posts after a certain period.
Are you saying the owners of Odyclub.com don't give a crap about the opinions of their forum members? Do you believe "everyone else does it this way" is a good reason to do something that makes no sense? When you set up new software, do you always automatically use the "default settings" even if a custom setting would work better for your needs?

Simple Yes or No: Would you like to be able to edit or delete your own posts on Odyclub.com any time you want to?

·
Super Moderator
13,539 Posts
Are you saying the owners of Odyclub.com don't give a crap about the opinions of their forum members? Do you believe "everyone else does it this way" is a good reason to do something that makes no sense? When you set up new software, do you always automatically use the "default settings" even if a custom setting would work better for your needs?

Simple Yes or No: Would you like to be able to edit or delete your own posts on Odyclub.com any time you want to?
Wow dude. Where were you when the owner really did NOT give a crap.

NO. I do NOT want the ability for people to edit and/or delete their posts forever. 10 minutes is fine for me. Happy with my vote now?

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
Wow dude. Where were you when the owner really did NOT give a crap.

NO. I do NOT want the ability for people to edit and/or delete their posts forever. 10 minutes is fine for me. Happy with my vote now?
LOL! I miss Jim. I don't come around here as often anymore, and one of the primary reasons is that Jim sold out to the establishment...and they don't give a **** either. The other reason is the DV has gone soft on policing the members around here. I miss the good old days when someone would complain about DV, then stomp off (figuratively) and say "I'm contacting Jim"!!!

And just to offest DV, I vote yes!

*** DV Edit ***
Since you voted yes, I edited your post for you. Ba ha ha.

·
Super Moderator
13,539 Posts
LOL! I miss Jim. I don't come around here as often anymore, and one of the primary reasons is that Jim sold out to the establishment...and they don't give a **** either. The other reason is the DV has gone soft on policing the members around here. I miss the good old days when someone would complain about DV, then stomp off (figuratively) and say "I'm contacting Jim"!!!
Yeah. Ironically, I believe I only spoke to Jim on day 1 if that. I might have only spoken to Chiody and have only had like 3 email exchanges with Jim ever !!! But. As I used to say then, the less spam, the less I come on here and the less policing you'd get. :D And I am very offended that I was NOT the reason you do not come here very often PSU. Welcome back. ;)

And just to offest DV, I vote yes!
Like that's gonna make any difference. LOL. :D :D :D

·
Registered
3,974 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
...Most forums running the new forum s/w no longer allow edits and or deletes of your own posts after a certain period.
I vote YES, for the right to edit one's own post -- for a period greater than 5 minutes!! (or was that default 10 minutes?)

Was 5 minutes a default value?? At least an hour would be more reasonable.
Consider even extending it for a day or (going for broke) a whole week!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Well, this is sorta silly, not being able to edit my own thread. I now have a DIY post on timing belt tensioner replacement that I made an error on, and I cannot update it with the correct info!
So, now what do I have to do to get it corrected? Contact the admin of the site to change "M8" to "M6"? Hope that anyone doing the job reads ALL the following posts to find the correction?

Chris

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Chris - you are being too kind - the policy of not having more than 10 minutes to edit your own post is much worse than "sorta silly". That policy can lead to mistakes being locked into a thread that can screw up followers of the thread. I do not believe that any Odyclub member would intentionally post incorrect information, but no one is perfect - we all make mistakes. And it often takes more than 10 minutes for us to realize our mistakes. All we can do is hope that those with the power to change the policy will one day "see the light" and expand the "edit window" from 10 minutes to at least 1 week.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I vote to be able to edit whenever... As posted above if bad advice goes out.. it needs to come down and not 5 or 20 posts later that could span over many months times... just my opinion... which according to my wife does not count for anything!! ;) BTW this post has been edited!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
So, I've tried to contact the "site admin" to get the incorrect info changed in my thread, yet after 9 days, I have still not received any response, and the issue is still not resolved.

Its a nice forum for us Ody owners, but if the site admin/owner can't be bothered with it, then either pass it over to members who are willing to, or allow posts to be edited!

Hopefully, those who read my write-up will read through the next few posts and find the correction.

DV, you're a moderator, aren't you able to make changes to others posts??? If so, can I send you the change I need made?

·
Super Moderator
13,539 Posts
Send me what you want changed and a link to the thread or post in this thread and I can make the edits. People send me PMs etc to get this done all the time.

·
Super Moderator
13,539 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Send me what you want changed and a link to the thread or post in this thread and I can make the edits. People send me PMs etc to get this done all the time.
If you have to edit other odyclub members posts for them "all the time" - doesn't that give you a clue that the 10 minute edit window is too restrictive and should be expanded?

·
Super Moderator
13,539 Posts
If you have to edit other odyclub members posts for them "all the time" - doesn't that give you a clue that the 10 minute edit window is too restrictive and should be expanded?
You got my vote earlier. Didn't you? So why are you still arguing or trying to convince me. Ever heard of the term "barking up the wrong tree"? That is what you are doing. Take your gripes to the owners of the forum. BTW. Did you READ the thread I linked?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Expanding time limit on editing posts

originally posted by dvpatel: You got my vote earlier. Didn't you?
reply by tallra1: Yes.

originally posted by dvpatel: So why are you still arguing or trying to convince me.
reply by tallra1: because since you cast your vote, five other Odyclub members have voted in favor of expanding the post editing window. They are: psu ody fan, kernel, flyinhawaiian, retiredodyssey, and mindoro. Also, you stated that you had to edit other Odyclub members posts for them all the time - don't you have better uses of your time? I think most Odyclub members would rather edit their own posts than to track you down and ask you to do it for them.

originally posted by dvpatel: Ever heard of the term "barking up the wrong tree"?
reply by tallra1: Yes. I did not know you considered yourself the Odyclub Wrong Tree. I thought you were a Super Moderator. Isn't it the moderator's job to facilitate resolving conflicts in the forum? In this case the conflict is between clubmembers that want a considerably longer amount of time than the existing 10 minute window to edit their posts, and site administrators/owners that for unknown reasons have set the edit time window to 10 minutes.

originally posted by dvpatel: Take your gripes to the owners of the forum
reply by tallra1: OK -so you are directing me, and any other clubmember that wants to see the "10 minutepost edit window" expanded, to take the matter to :

VerticalScope Inc.
111 Peter Street, Suite 700
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
M5V 2H1
T. 1-416-341-8950
F. 1-416-341-8959

Email link: VerticalScope : Email Us

originally posted by dvpatel: BTW. Did you READ the thread I linked?
reply by tallra1: Yes. The thread that you linked - http://www.odyclub.com/forums/19-odyclub-feedback-site-help/147907-edit-post-not-working-user-error.html - has the exact same theme as this thread: frustrated clubmembers wondering why they cannot edit their posts and asking for someone to change the "10 minute edit window". So add moxie, Cntrtwnltd, and Steve P to the list of Odyclub members that have expressed a desire to see the "10 minute post edit window" expanded. The count is 9 to 1 and it is not in your favor.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.