Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope everyone is staying safe.
It has been three weeks I touched the van, not even given a start. Is it necessary to give few miles every now and then? What do you suggest? And what everyone is doing to Ody these days?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yes, give it a spin.. at least a mile or two weekly. This should keep the car in running shape. Don’t forget to check your tire pressure.

davensd - lockdown

·
Registered
138 Posts
I think I would like try and drive at least 10-20 miles if I were going to start, try and get the oil temps up enough to burn off some condensation.
And probably not a bad idea to throw an automatic battery charger on there to top it off.

·
Registered
393 Posts
If you don't use a fuel stabilizer/cleaner all the time, its even more important to take a spin every week, and it should at least 10 miles with some highway driving for the reasons well-stated above.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
+1 for 10+ miles a week, though by-weekly would be sufficient unless you notice that it is sluggish when turning over. A mile or two is hardly enough to recharge the battery the amount of juice it took to start it. Getting up to operating temp and "exercising" the brakes are a good idea.

Reactions: Greginfla

·
Registered
330 Posts
We're in the same boat. I haven't driven the Ody for nearly two weeks and keep meaning to take the kids out on a 10+ trip to...home. It might be fun to go see the nearly empty (I'm assuming) freeways here in L.A. - which will be a once in a lifetime sight!

As others have said, I think a 10+ mile trip once every 2 weeks should suffice.

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
1,072 Posts
Yup, either battery trickle charger or drive it every two weeks (10+ miles, as others have said). A couple months of not driving won't hurt things much as long as the battery gets charged. A full tank of gas will minimize fuel degradation if you don't add a fuel stabilizer.

My wife has been called in to bring up a new hospital, away from working at home, so the van is back to getting exercise...

-Charlie

Reactions: jiantao

·
Registered
Odyssey 2011 LX, LED Interior Lightings
162 Posts
Mine is charging and it is been two weeks sleeping in the garage with a battery charger plug on it. I'll go for a spin once I bring my wife to work, since the Van is just for a Family Hauler and I have a small one as the working warrior. Unfortunately I can't be with more than 2 in the Van cause of the Social Distancing here in my place maximum of 2 person inside each car or else you'll get a whooping $1,000 each passenger once your caught.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Mine is charging and it is been two weeks sleeping in the garage with a battery charger plug on it. I'll go for a spin once I bring my wife to work, since the Van is just for a Family Hauler and I have a small one as the working warrior. Unfortunately I can't be with more than 2 in the Van cause of the Social Distancing here in my place maximum of 2 person inside each car or else you'll get a whooping $1,000 each passenger once your caught.
So if a family of 5 lives in the same house they cant travel in a car together? Are you sure there isn't an exception if the people already live together?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Hmmmmm good question, I think they might consider it but I don't want to take the risk as of now they don't allow people to travel cause of the Virus which might spread to everybody. Kids will stay at home for now

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
2,112 Posts
So if a family of 5 lives in the same house they cant travel in a car together? Are you sure there isn't an exception if the people already live together?
In Alberta there is an exception if everyone shares the same home address. However, this does not apply if you are subject to a 14-day mandatory isolation or are feeling unwell.

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
618 Posts
I should really invest in a trickle charger. The battery on the Odyssey tested fine as I drove it last weekend but my Camry's battery only had 11.9v when I tested it today! I only drove it 5 miles over the past 3 weeks... I'm surprised it even started the car!

·
Registered
12,969 Posts
Drive your cars at least once per week. Start them every few days, if you can. Battery maintainers are great but no substitute for keeping oil circulating through the engine and transmission. If you can possibly garage your vehicles that is preferred to sitting outside for long periods.

·
Registered
2012 EX-L, >113k miles, Honda tow pkg.
607 Posts
We are not on an official stay-at-home order (yet) but not much to do with all non-essential businesses closed. I still drive every few days though in search of the elusive toilet paper. You'd think after three weeks of hoarding that people would quit, and some stores would have a few packs of TP in stock! At least it gives me a reason to drive 20 or so miles while searching...and keeps the oil circulating.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Did wash the Ody today and took it for a spin. Still lot of cars on the road where I live but not like typical Sunday traffic.

·
Registered
2012 Odyssey EX 1991 Crx Si 2001 Prelude 1995 Civic Dx
2 Posts
Hope everyone is staying safe.
It has been three weeks I touched the van, not even given a start. Is it necessary to give few miles every now and then? What do you suggest? And what everyone is doing to Ody these days?
Please, for the sake of everything that is good & sacred... drive your Ody. As long as they haven't shut us down and told us we can't leave at all, then drive her/him. Drive to your nearest dealership and request to have the fluids topped off and air up the tires. Have them slightly overinflated to 36-37psi (I have mine at 40psi). You can ask to have this done without leaving your car in most cases. That will at least give you a reason to leave the house, and you'll be headed to an essential service.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Dealers are open but they’ll only take you in if your a health worker. I don’t go to the Dealer anyways. I’ll just do a spin to avoid the bearing from seizing

·
Registered
232 Posts
From a logical standpoint, if a family lives in the same house, breathes the same air, touches the same items in the home like hand rails, light switches, toilet seats, faucet handles, bath/shower knobs, sink, furniture, each member of the family should be considered to have a similar germ pool respiratory system wise. Chances are good that no one is social distancing 6 feet away from each other in the home (although if I were an adolescent I would probably love to have family members 60 feet away).

No one in their right mind should ticket a family of 5 (or 8) who reside in the same house driving together in an Odyssey. I guess it depends on where one lives and how draconian the communities LEOs are.

We have to drive 10 miles round trip to shop for groceries at least once a week.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts