Honda Odyssey Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
In my area (NJ, but south NJ closer to Philly, not near NYC) our dealerships are still open for service only, all sales are online only. It's really just the battery to concerned about in the short term though. You could just start it up in your driveway to give it a charge every once in a while but if you have the chance to take it out for a drive that would be better.

Like MrRanger said, an Italian tune tune up will do it some good now and then especially if the van is used to be driven regularly...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
291 Posts
My '07 Avalon hadn't been more than around the block in three weeks. I took it out for a 50 mile (to my old office to pick up the last of my gear during Covid) and back trip. The brakes even after this trip are still "mad." Hopefully that will clean up when the time comes to start driving more routinely but I think 10+ miles a week is a very good suggestion. Just around the block doesn't appear to have been enough.

Our '16 EXL gets driven all the time, it's fine by the way...

Be Safe!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Good to see people are exercising the Ody once in a while... I will do another spin in few days again.

·
Registered
Odyssey 2011 LX
140 Posts
Used Cars in the lot have been there sitting depends, until the time will come to get by the new owner. I was thinking for that if you take it out, that means their not good since they’re not driven often. Just curious mostly their exposed on a total sun or snow.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Used Cars in the lot have been there sitting depends, until the time will come to get by the new owner. I was thinking for that if you take it out, that means their not good since they’re not driven often. Just curious mostly their exposed on a total sun or snow.
automobiles have moving parts, lots of them... which means the parts should be moved, or oxidation sets in.
that holds true if your vehicle is outdoors vs indoors.

if you park your vehicle in dry storage with no humidity, then this shouldn't be an issue.
keep the battery maintained and fuel stabilized and you're good for months.

The military are experts on storage of vehicles, and longevity.
storage with no humidity is key.

·
Registered
Odyssey 2011 LX
140 Posts
Military have huge underground bunkers which we don't know that exists. Their Vehicles are well maintained by a very good mechanic which is part of their troops not locally hired but internally trained. They are called the Troops without Guns. Mostly their vehicles runs with a diesel engines.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Military have huge underground bunkers which we don't know that exists. Their Vehicles are well maintained by a very good mechanic which is part of their troops not locally hired but internally trained. They are called the Troops without Guns. Mostly their vehicles runs with a diesel engines.
This is a good read for anyone interested in corrosion prevention methods.
Research done by the US and Canadian military.

Sections 3 - 4 if you don't want to read the whole thing.

I personally do this on all of my vehicles, to prolong the lifespan of the body and undercarriage.
2001 Odyssey EX was treated every year for the first 5 years, then biannually.
still rolling with no rust.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hope everyone is staying safe.
It has been three weeks I touched the van, not even given a start. Is it necessary to give few miles every now and then? What do you suggest? And what everyone is doing to Ody these days?
If you do not drive cars just a little at least around the block once they will fink on you. Dried up grease seals, emulsified gasoline in the fuel filters,injectors,pump steel belted tires get a flat spot on bottom creating a out of balance feeling. Once per week, start it, warm it up completely , around block once. This can possibly save you much money down the road preventing repairs.

·
Registered
681 Posts
If you do not drive cars just a little at least around the block once they will fink on you. Dried up grease seals, emulsified gasoline in the fuel filters,injectors,pump steel belted tires get a flat spot on bottom creating a out of balance feeling. Once per week, start it, warm it up completely , around block once. This can possibly save you much money down the road preventing repairs.
it is good practice, I agree.
My wife had a 1996 corolla that sat more than it drove, and it was parked outdoors.
I don't know how many times I had to boost/charge or change the battery because my wife would not start or drive the effin thing.

That said, that car had zero issues, no oil leaks no nothing, just started and ran first shot, if the battery wasn't dead!.
Even the AC worked after 24 years.

It was getting long in the tooth, and the interior was starting to smell like a moldy old car.

We took it to the junk yard 2 weeks ago, after she finally had the heart to let it go.
Nobody we knew wanted the thing because it was a standard, so took it there and got 200 bux for a run and drive.
We bought the replacement 2015 civic and shes repeating the process..

sigh...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hmmmmm good question, I think they might consider it but I don't want to take the risk as of now they don't allow people to travel cause of the Virus which might spread to everybody. Kids will stay at home for now
I totally believe and support the practice of self-quarantining with immediate family - but to not be able to have those same family members in the same vehicle is absurd. We have a little place in WI that we have been alternating weeks at to help keep the monotony at bay. The 5 of us don't stop anywhere along the way so we are causing no added risk to ourselves or others during the 60 minute drive. Plus since the virus appears to die within hours/days we are allowing each place to "self-cleanse" when we are away for a week. There have been no issues or threats of being pulled over or stopped by the police along the route. Unless we were to go under marshall law any such fine would likely be thrown out if challenged - but we are in the states and laws elsewhere are likely different. No matter what - be safe out there!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hope everyone is staying safe.
It has been three weeks I touched the van, not even given a start. Is it necessary to give few miles every now and then? What do you suggest? And what everyone is doing to Ody these days?
Definitely give it a run, but don't make it a short run. Get up to full operating temperature and then try to get it up to highway speed for a few minutes. A short run will be worse for the engine than no run at all. If you can't get it up to full operating temperature, then I would suggest you not run it but put a battery tender on it.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts