Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are considering purchases a Honda certified 2008 Odyssey...but reading consumer reviews from various sites, we are concerned we might be buying a lemon with all the recalls. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
632 Posts
Buy a brandnew 2011 rest assured you're not getting a lemon.

·
Registered
642 Posts
We are considering purchases a Honda certified 2008 Odyssey...but reading consumer reviews from various sites, we are concerned we might be buying a lemon with all the recalls. Any suggestions?
Huh??? A lemon with a 2008 Odyssey??? Where do you get that idea?

I mean any car in any model year has a chance to be a lemon, but I'm just curious what makes the 2008 any more likely a lemon than anything else. If anything, I think 2008 is the BEST year to buy an Odyssey. It's the first year of the Mid-model change, where they have mostly worked out all the kinks and quirks in the 2005-2007 model years. It got refreshed front and rear a bit to make it different from the 2005-2007, it has the newer beefier transmission from the Ridgeline (so did the 2007), and they didn't reduce production numbers yet as they did for the 2009 and 2010 so you should be able to find more of them around... thus lower cost and more selection.

The new 2011 ones are first in a new model, so you can be sure there are and will be more bugs to be fixed and still to be found. And don't even get me started on the looks of that thing!!!

I always think the 1st year of a mid-model refresh is the best year to buy a vehicle for the above reasons. You don't get the latest and greatest right when it comes out, but you also don't get those new model year headaches and you save money.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Amen. Megatron.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Megatron, I got the consumer reviews from edmonds.com and Consumer Reports...which then created a worry and then there are so many available, I thought maybe everyone was disposing of their problem.

Thank you for your help...and we look forward to hearing other opinions as well.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Megatron, I got the consumer reviews from edmonds.com and Consumer Reports...which then created a worry and then there are so many available, I thought maybe everyone was disposing of their problem.

Thank you for your help...and we look forward to hearing other opinions as well.
If anything, the only weak area (by consensus) of 2005-2010 Odysseys was Michelin's "innovative" PAX wheels/tires system. You'll find loads of threads here about it.

Every year has its pros and cons. Generally as it is with any brand and model of car, the latter years of a production cycle are likely to have fewer problems than the first year or two.

·
Registered
642 Posts
If anything, the only weak area (by consensus) of 2005-2010 Odysseys was Michelin's "innovative" PAX wheels/tires system. You'll find loads of threads here about it.
Oh yeah... I forgot about the PAX thing. Thanks for reminding me!

If you are planning to get the Touring model, the 2008 was the first year you can get it WITHOUT the PAX wheels. That, together with all the other points I mentioned before, seals the deal for me as far as the best year Odyssey to get!

As for as there being so many of them out there... it's not because people are dumping them in any high numbers due to issues. It's because like I said before, they were still manufactured in higher numbers in 2008 (2009 and 2010 had less numbers produced due to slowing demand and getting close to release of new redesign). So the more that were made, the more that are going to be available in the used market. But the MAIN REASON there are so many 2008's you see out there now, is because it's 3 years later. Leases are typically 3-year duration, so what you are seeing are vehicles coming off lease.

None of the above in any way reflect any kind of issue with the 2008 Odyssey. Like I said, I think it's the best model year to get. Go find a Touring Non-Pax and you are golden!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I do have to agreed with Megatron! Mid model year upgrades are the best! I'm going on my 5th Oddy....I'd just purchased my 08' Touring and I'm so in love with it! It's a CPO and it drives, feels and rides fantastic! You won't be disappointed!

·
Registered
205 Posts
The 2008 had two recalls, one for soft brakes, the other to reflash the software for the transmission judder. Are you confusing recalls with TSB's? TSB's don't necessarily affect all vehicles and you can find them in this forum. Look at the model year section for the 2005-2010 and there is a sticky with links to the TSB. If you are buying a Honda Certified 2008, review the TSB's so you know what to look for and if you find you are affected, the dealer should correct it under the Honda Certified warranty.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts