Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

New here and really need some good advice. Here is some info and the problem. 2001 EX replaced tranny at 110K in March 2010 currently has 140K.

Problem started about 3 months ago and only happens the very first drive of the day. Within the first 1-2 miles the engine revs and slams into 2nd gear. Slowing down or stopping slams into first gear. Once I have gone 1-2 miles it stops and everything seems to be normal and won't do it again until the next day leaving. My check engine light randomly comes on and off.

When it first started I took it somewhere and since I had been driving around town it wouldn't do it for him. He wasn't sure but suggested cleaning some filters inside the tranny for $400-500 but wasn't a guaranteed fix. He also informed me that one of the codes was for the catalytic converter to be replaced and he wasn't familiar with the other codes.

Any ideas?? Thanks so much!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Was the replacement trans re-manufactured from Honda , or used. Sounds like the trans. is bad. As far as cleaning filters, they are inside the trans. and not serviceable. I don't know what they are charging $400-$500 to do. If it has the external filter that is put on with a Honda reman. trans, that can be replaced. But, that would not be expensive. Do you have the other code numbers. That may help. Steve

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No I did not get it replaced at Honda and it was a rebuilt transmission. I can swing by Auto Zone today...they can read the codes, right?? Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also wanted to add that I think he called it a screen to clean instead of a filter. If that changes anything :)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Also wanted to add that I think he called it a screen to clean instead of a filter. If that changes anything :)
There are screens at some of the solenoids which are on the outside of the trans. But if these are clogged, the trans. needs replaced, as something is clogging the screens. Let me know on codes. Steve

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm not sure how these 2 codes could be related to your symptom.
P0420 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold
P1676 FPTDR Signal Line Failure
- and I found this from an old Sevice News;
Got DTC P1676 or TCS DTC 31? Replace the Ignition
Switch

NOTE: This article applies to ’00–02 Accord V6s
and ’99–02 Odysseys.

Got a vehicle in your shop with DTC P1676
(FPTDR signal line failure) or TCS DTC 31 (engine
retard command [PFINH] signal)? A bad ignition
switch (the electrical half) could be the culprit.
NOTE: On the HDS, you’ll see TCS DTC 31 listed
as TCS DTC 31-2.
Inspect the ignition switch solder joints for any
signs of overheating. If you notice the solder joints
are melted, replace the ignition switch.

Do you know if they reset the codes?
If not, I would get them reset and then read again after the failure to see what happens.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I should point out also, that in the SM, for the P1676, it says that if it does not return after a reset, check for poor connections or loose terminals at the ABS/TCS control unit and the PCM.

If it comes back right away, there is a lengthy troubleshooting procedure.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I agree, check the motor mounts. Sounds like you need to have this checked by a dealer you trust, or a trans. shop, or independent shop you trust. You will have to leave it with them, overnight , so they can see what its doing. Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Small update-

left it overnight twice so he could check it out. Noticed that it had trouble warming up fast enough. Engine would hit 180 degrees but trans would be at 99. Motor mounts were solid and it seems to be skipping 2nd gear. Decided to replace the linear solenoid yesterday. Drove it this morning and it did not fix the problem :( thinking it may be an electrical problem. How expensive would that be? Is it worth it to fix or trade now? Will have to replace cat. converter before I can pass emissions in Feb. Another annoying problem not sure if related passenger sliding door won't lock (except manually)?? What should I do??

1 - 11 of 11 Posts