Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 02 EX-L for less than a week and I noticed the other day that the Side Air Bag indicator light came on when driving the other day. It was when I was trying out the seat warmers. It went off a few minutes after I shuting off seat warmer. I'll have to try it again to see, but has anyone else experienced this?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
My dealer said that there are sensors that determine if anything is blocking the path of the airbag. If you position your body so it is blocking the airbag (ie: driving down the road with your head out the window) the airbag will deactivate until the obstruction (your head) is clear. It takes a little time to reset after clearing. Also, if you put something on your seat, such as a bag of groceries, it may deactivate the bags.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by sdegonge:
My dealer said that there are sensors that determine if anything is blocking the path of the airbag. If you position your body so it is blocking the airbag (ie: driving down the road with your head out the window) the airbag will deactivate until the obstruction (your head) is clear. It takes a little time to reset after clearing. Also, if you put something on your seat, such as a bag of groceries, it may deactivate the bags.</font>
That seems like a logical reason, but what kind of sensors are used? My window was closed, but maybe I had my elbow on the side of the seat, I guess. I'll play with it again, with and without the seat warmer on. I thought I read in owners manual that the passenger seat warmer does not have heating element in back cushion because of side air bag in seat. I also remember wondering, if that is true, then how did they solve the problem on driver seat since it has heater in back cushion and seat cushion. Curious.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,026 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by voyager:
That seems like a logical reason, but what kind of sensors are used? My window was closed, but maybe I had my elbow on the side of the seat, I guess. I'll play with it again, with and without the seat warmer on. I thought I read in owners manual that the passenger seat warmer does not have heating element in back cushion because of side air bag in seat. I also remember wondering, if that is true, then how did they solve the problem on driver seat since it has heater in back cushion and seat cushion. Curious.</font>
It's the sensors. My son was in the passenger seat once and I noticed the light on. If there is a small person in the seat the airbag will not deploy as to not slam the person over into the driver seat. As mentioned earlier there are other reasons that will cause the airbag not to deploy. Check the owners manual.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 02EXLODY:
It's the sensors. My son was in the passenger seat once and I noticed the light on. If there is a small person in the seat the airbag will not deploy as to not slam the person over into the driver seat. As mentioned earlier there are other reasons that will cause the airbag not to deploy. Check the owners manual. </font>
You know my son was in the front passenger seat at the time, but he weighs around 150 lbs. Although, he was moving atound constantly because he was check seat warmer switch and gps. Maybe he was leaning on the edge of the seat or something. Thnaks for all the replies.
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top