Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Odyssey EX Platinum White Pearl/Beige
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

Over the weekend, I was driving my 2021 EX converted for wheelchair access by Vantage Mobility International and l, as I went over a bump (not a speed bump) in a store parking lot, the side curtain airbags on both passenger and driver’s sides deployed for no reason.

The vehicle was towed to the nearest Honda dealership and, after their initial inspection, they believe something don’t to the van during the conversion caused the issue.

They said that there’s a code for the airbags deploying but not a code for why they deployed. Is that an accurate statement or they just telling me a story because they want to pin this on the conversion company? I realize that this is going to be quite expensive as each airbag is between $1k-$1500. I’m sure the headliner will need to be replaced as well as it is all out of shape now.

The folks from the mobility company will be investigating as well.

I could have my insurance cover it but then I have to pay the deductible.

Any input/advice/thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Sky Window Vehicle Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Sky

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive design Window

Vehicle Car Window Automotive design Mode of transport

Window Vehicle Automotive design Motor vehicle Car

·
Registered
284 Posts
Wow that must have been startling. o_O

Did you think you got hit by another vehicle?

Nice privacy screens now. :LOL:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow that must have been startling. o_O

Did you think you got hit by another vehicle?

Nice privacy screens now. :LOL:
Startling is an understatement (I also got a nice airbag burn on my left arm). I stopped immediately and had to take a moment to process what happened. I did not think I was hit by another vehicle because I was going slow and there was no one behind me and no activity to either side of me at the time.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Wow, that's crazy. I bet the sound off all those airbags deploying would be enough to wake the dead.

I would file the claim on your insurance quickly so they can also investigate before the evidence is destroyed. If your carrier finds fault on the part of the mobility company, they will subrogate damages and pay your deductible back to you. Plus pay for the loaner if you need one, let them do all the work and follow-up. Life's too short!

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
3,048 Posts
FWIW, I've heard of this happening on some older non-converted models as well.

·
Registered
10,010 Posts
No collision luckily, but almost as traumatic as a collision. Glad your injuries were not severe.

Something as minor as a loose sensor connection could wrongly deploy an airbag. I hope Honda or Vantage can find the cause.

As you mentioned, this will be an expensive repair. I second the previous suggestion to contact your insurance company. Their involvement might also give added incentive to find out why this happened.

Reactions: WiiMaster

·
Registered
16 Posts
I would file the claim on your insurance quickly so they can also investigate before the evidence is destroyed. If your carrier finds fault on the part of the mobility company, they will subrogate damages and pay your deductible back to you. Plus pay for the loaner if you need one, let them do all the work and follow-up. Life's too short!
@spin_nin 100% do this. I used to be an Auto Damage Adjuster and this would be my recommendation. Consider this point: you don't want to be without your vehicle while Vantage Mobility waits to accept liability for something that is more than likely their responsibility. That could take months while your Claims Adjuster and they go back and forth and it would take a while considering it's the holiday season. As your ADA, I would be at the body shop, documenting the tear-down, condition of the SRS harness and sensors, and anything that would have been modified from OEM, and making sure that it wasn't harmed in any way during the conversion. If it was, making sure that the harness was replaced along with the airbags, headliner, and anything else that would need to be replaced.

Even though you may be responsible for your deductible when the repairs are completed (who knows when that will be), keep in mind this is not an at-fault loss, which is really the determining factor when it comes to underwriting. Your driving through the parking lot and having the airbags deploy does not increase your risk to the company. When you were 16 and driving, you were a much higher risk, e.g. higher premiums. Use your policy, that's what we pay the monthly premiums for.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for all the replies! I will contact our insurance adjuster today and get them to move on this.

·
Administrator
14,343 Posts
wow- I just saw another van, maybe 2019, at the dealer this morning that had the side bags popped and no visible damage.. huh
Gotta slow down to 0.5 mph and slowly go over pot holes and bumps I guess. Like those very lowered cars with the front bumper lips and all.

·
Registered
2018 EX
2,186 Posts
Isn't premature deployment of these bags a safety hazard? Does Honda really expect all of us to live on pins and needles for the duration of our cars' lives, in fear of the bags going off for no reason? Before this post, I had never heard of such a problem.

·
Registered
10,010 Posts
Isn't premature deployment of these bags a safety hazard?
If it caused an injury (such as happened to the OP), Honda is required to report it to the NHTSA under the new TREAD Act.

The NHTSA, not Honda, would decide if it's an isolated incident or a problem that requires investigation.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Isn't premature deployment of these bags a safety hazard? Does Honda really expect all of us to live on pins and needles for the duration of our cars' lives, in fear of the bags going off for no reason? Before this post, I had never heard of such a problem.
You should probably sell yours asap if you are that worried.

One deployment from a van that was heavily modified by an accessibility company doesn’t mean Honda is at fault and every Odyssey is going to randomly deploy the airbags.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Greetings,

Over the weekend, I was driving my 2021 EX converted for wheelchair access by Vantage Mobility International and l, as I went over a bump (not a speed bump) in a store parking lot, the side curtain airbags on both passenger and driver’s sides deployed for no reason.

The vehicle was towed to the nearest Honda dealership and, after their initial inspection, they believe something don’t to the van during the conversion caused the issue.

They said that there’s a code for the airbags deploying but not a code for why they deployed. Is that an accurate statement or they just telling me a story because they want to pin this on the conversion company? I realize that this is going to be quite expensive as each airbag is between $1k-$1500. I’m sure the headliner will need to be replaced as well as it is all out of shape now.

The folks from the mobility company will be investigating as well.

I could have my insurance cover it but then I have to pay the deductible.

Any input/advice/thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

View attachment 165320
View attachment 165319
View attachment 165317
View attachment 165316
View attachment 165315
View attachment 165318
View attachment 165314
Thanks for giving me something else to worry about, ha. (I have a VMI Northstar conversion on my 2014). I've learned over the years that whatever happens the dealer blames the conversion and the conversion company blames the auto company. I could see this ending up on the NTSB list.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts