Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I just got my hands on a new Odyssey. When looking through the driver's side view mirror, the image on the outer inch of the mirror is a bit distorted (similar to the cheap $20 side view mirror I recently purchased on eBay for my beat up truck). Does anyone else have a similar issue? I might head down to the dealer and have it warrantied.

·
Banned
728 Posts
Ours has the distortion as well (the right side mirror is fine). Our windshield is fine as well. I only really notice it when backing up or looking at something in the mirror while at a stop. While moving, it isn't really noticeable.

I plan on leaving it "as is" for a few months to see if the later production vans still have this problem. If they don't I'll ask for a mirror replacement. If they do, I'll wait until the issue is dealt with by Honda.

As a last ditch effort to correct the problem if Honda says that is the way it is supposed to be and it bothers you (I've stopped noticing it), you could go to an auto glass place and have them take out the existing mirror and cut a new one to fit.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
tough to find good mirror these days

·
Registered
316 Posts
I have the distortion in the top right corner of my driver's side mirror. It's very slight. I really only notice it when I'm looking at something in that section of the mirror and then change my viewing angle, such as moving my head left/right. When I asked the dealer to look at it, the tech said he didn't see any problems. I let it go, since it's so slight. But I may try to readdress it the next time I'm at the dealer.

·
Banned
728 Posts
Mine looks like one of those mirrors in a fun house at the fair. I don't let it bother me, but will ask the dealer about it at some point.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interesting. Seems like they decided to go cheap on the mirrors. 3rd day in this new van and I use the mirrors a lot so its starting to bug me now. I'll let you guys know how the visit to the dealer goes.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
Interesting. Seems like they decided to go cheap on the mirrors. 3rd day in this new van and I use the mirrors a lot so its starting to bug me now. I'll let you guys know how the visit to the dealer goes.
From what I saw when I went to lok at one....they decided to go cheap on a lot more than just the mirrors.......Totally interior related. The only place they did not skimp wat the price

·
Registered
128 Posts
we have it too....told the dealer and they ordered a new one for us. Getting it installed this week.
Just picked up the van. 2012 Canadian touring (TE in USA). Also noticed distortion on the driver's side mirror. Did your new one fix the problem?

Is it just me or the view out the back via the inside mirror looks slightly distorted also? Did anyone notice that? The view out my 2006 inside rear view mirror seems less distorted.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just bout a 2011 2 weeks ago, and didn't notice the mirror distortion, till my brother-in-law test drove it and he noticed the mirror... then I noticed it too....
So how many people got their mirrors replaced under warranty?

·
Registered
3 Posts
how are y'all doing? glad I found this thread and am not going crazy. I just bought a 2020 EX and see this. Just SLIGHTLY out of focus and it bugs me. Is it a vibration issue or actual mirror? would appreciate your stories. thanks in advance

·
Registered
212 Posts
If I'm not mistaken that's by design. It actually helps you to see any vehicles in your blind spot. if you look on the left hand side of the mirror you will notice that there is a vertical line and the mirror is slightly canted outward there. I've actually found it very useful because the b pillar is right in my peripheral vision on the left.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
1,446 Posts
If I'm not mistaken that's by design.
The 'distortion' in the outer section is by design.

From the owners manual page 160 (for my 2016, though most van owners don't have it, you can read the pdf downloaded from Honda):

"Expanded View Driver's Mirror
The driver side door mirror has outer and inner segments. The outer segment is slightly curved to provide a wider angle view than a standard flat mirror. This wider view may help you check areas that are not visible using a standard door mirror.

Objects visible in the outer segment of the driver side door mirror appear smaller than objects in the rest of the mirror. But in fact, they are closer than they appear. "

-Charlie

Reactions: jwzg
1 - 14 of 14 Posts