Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just read this article:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2010/07/21/national/a100254D58.DTL&type=autos

The Sienna is offered with a 187 hp 4 cylinder engine, giving 19/24mpg. The V-6 is also offered, of course, for a bit more power at the expense of fuel economy.

I know opinions vary on this, but I feel like my Odyssey has way more than enough power to safely maneuver in traffic. As for me, I'd gladly give up a bit of peak acceleration if it gave better fuel economy. A bit more working room in the engine bay would be a nice bonus, too.

·
Registered
79 Posts
ElChichicuilote said:
Just read this article:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2010/07/21/national/a100254D58.DTL&type=autos

The Sienna is offered with a 187 hp 4 cylinder engine, giving 19/24mpg. The V-6 is also offered, of course, for a bit more power at the expense of fuel economy.

I know opinions vary on this, but I feel like my Odyssey has way more than enough power to safely maneuver in traffic. As for me, I'd gladly give up a bit of peak acceleration if it gave better fuel economy. A bit more working room in the engine bay would be a nice bonus, too.
Good news is if this Toyota has runaway issues like some other Toyota models, it should be easier to stop, no ? But then again, suspect it takes longer to hit top speed and end result is the same, it won't stop, which means you have a potentially longer terrifying experience....

Waiting for all the Toyota fans to jump on this one...

·
Registered
482 Posts
i'm still not sold on a 4 cyl van as big as the sienna, especially if loaded up with people and luggage. but i think it still beats the dodge 3.3l v-6 specs. so it might not be so bad.

i would have to test one out fully loaded to see what it's like merging on the highway, etc. for daily driving with a couple people it wouldn't likely be an issue

·
Registered
389 Posts
Richie_Richie said:
i'm still not sold on a 4 cyl van as big as the sienna, especially if loaded up with people and luggage. but i think it still beats the dodge 3.3l v-6 specs. so it might not be so bad.

i would have to test one out fully loaded to see what it's like merging on the highway, etc. for daily driving with a couple people it wouldn't likely be an issue
Agreed, I had a 2008 CRV and the 4-cyl was anemic. For a loaded minivan, it's best to have the power on demand and not power by planning.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Time will tell...

Most likely you will see internet blogs/news on this topic as a few people buy the 4 cyl.

Anyone know of any North American vans that had 4 cyl before from any car company ?

·
Registered
7,327 Posts
Re: Time will tell...

Jeff2priorier said:
Anyone know of any North American vans that had 4 cyl before from any car company ?
Toyota Previa.

OF

·
Registered
389 Posts
Richie_Richie said:
that's funny because i think the 4cyl in my crv has more then enough power. even when loaded up it's fine.
Yes, but the 2008 CRV I had was almost 3500lbs base, unloaded. With only 166hp at 5800rpm and torque of only 161 lb-ft, that thing was a bitch to move. You just can't argue the physics.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Re: Time will tell...

Jeff2priorier said:
Most likely you will see internet blogs/news on this topic as a few people buy the 4 cyl.

The original minivans from Dodge and Chrysler were 4 cylinders, either a 2.2 or a 2.6 Mitsubishi built engine from 1984-86.

In late 1987 a Mitsubishi built 3.0 V-6 make its debut, but they were in short supply. 1989 and 1990 saw the debut of the 4 cyl Turbo.

4 Banger Turbo

·
Registered
32 Posts
Richie_Richie said:
i'm still not sold on a 4 cyl van as big as the sienna, especially if loaded up with people and luggage.
My thoughts exactly. It's a bigger 4 cyl than the 1st gen Ody but it's also about 1,000 lbs heavier. No Thank you! Also, the city/hwy fuel rating between the I4 and V6 is only (19/26 vs. 18/24). I would spend an extra $25 a month on the payment and get the stronger V6 (+$1,240)

·
Registered
606 Posts
My GM Olds van has one of those pushrod 3.4 v6 that has "only" 180 hp, and while it does not have the smooth power of the Honda, gets around just fine. Especially on highway cruising, it has plenty of power as its geared perfectly for the torque curve, about 2k rpm at 70mph in top gear. And my MPG averages 22-23 which is mostly around town with some highway. But Houston is flat.

I'd be more interested in the 4cyl torque rating than HP. :D

·
Registered
506 Posts
6 speed trans would help it a bit, especially over a 180hp 4 spd trans in a Caravan.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts