Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always liked the Ody -- we've had a 2001 and 2008 -- but I've always felt like I'm walking on eggshells with regard to the tranny. I've gone through one replacement on the first. Now I live in fear of the judder with the new one.

Any word on technical specifications of the six-speed in the 2011 Touring? Is it beefier? Is it an improvement (other than the fact that more gears is better)?

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
I don't know how anyone will know at this point. The issues of the earlier transmissions are different than the TC "judder" with the '05+ and I'm sure there will be some issues with the latest/greatest. How many and how severe is open to discussion. The TC problem isn't THAT widespread (particularly compared to the early models like the 2001. My dealer has yet to do work on an '05-'10 model transmission and they're a decent sized dealer. He said they have a couple customers well into the high 100k mile ranges without issues. He said they did so many of the '01-'03 transmissions it kept them in business for many years!

The other consideration is that the TC issue isnt' that big of an expense if it goes bad. In fact a complete transmission replacement isn't that bad. Certainly nothing like replacing a DSG box in a VW!!! We're at 80k miles with our '05 and no problems with tranny. I would be a bit PO'd if the tranny went at such low miles but it's otherwise a good vehicle and I would just spend the money and move on. I'm not losing any sleep waiting on something that may never come!

·
Registered
786 Posts
I know of several cases, myself included, where there was a transmission judder that worried the owner. But all it really needed was a new motor mount. Have you looked into that yet?

·
Registered
755 Posts
our 05 had 122k miles on it when we traded in a few days ago

for a '11 touring elite. 05 had no issues even when it was

abused a little bit sometimes, except that the TC started to

judder around 120k miles. but after i got it drained and refilled

twice, it was gone. and speaking of six speed tranny, its too

early to give you any infos on it right now since it has been only

a few days, but its really smooth so far, and lower rpm at higher

speed due to the 6 speed tranny, so it seems like its getting

a lot better mpg on hwy. and the wind noise is reduced by

A LOT compare to our old 05.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Glad you're enjoying the '11!! We're tempted to make the jump -- seems like a much better vehicle, if you can get over the styling. (BTW, the Toyota now looks sort of ... conservative. The new one is growing on me.)

We'd want Navigation, so it's be an expensive ride. And needless to say, we'd expect a tranny that doesn't fail for that much $$$

David

·
Registered
32 Posts
dsharp said:
I've always liked the Ody -- we've had a 2001 and 2008 -- but I've always felt like I'm walking on eggshells with regard to the tranny. I've gone through one replacement on the first. Now I live in fear of the judder with the new one.

Any word on technical specifications of the six-speed in the 2011 Touring? Is it beefier? Is it an improvement (other than the fact that more gears is better)?
I believe the 6spd is out of the Acura MDX, so it has been around for a couple of years. Also I think the 07 - 10 ODY uses the Ridgeline tranny which is much stonger.

·
Registered
755 Posts
dsharp said:
Glad you're enjoying the '11!! We're tempted to make the jump -- seems like a much better vehicle, if you can get over the styling. (BTW, the Toyota now looks sort of ... conservative. The new one is growing on me.)

We'd want Navigation, so it's be an expensive ride. And needless to say, we'd expect a tranny that doesn't fail for that much $$$

David
yes it is a bit expensive, but IMO, i think it's

well worth the money if you can deal with the dealership a

little bit. Our 05 ody was old, 122k miles on it, so the suspensions

were probably shot, but still, the new '11 models, it rides a whole

lot better. It feels lighter and more stabilized when taking a

corner. the engine is really quiet that you can barely hear it and

the tranny shifts smoothly too. The interior quality dropped a bit

tho from the earlier models, but with all the options that we have

on that vehicle, i don't really feel ripped off from it. shoot....

i forgot this was the tranny post :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts