Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 Odyssey EX-L with 250,000 miles on it. It's no longer a daily driver, just something teenagers use for beach trips, we're hoping it lasts another couple years max (mostly because we rebuilt the tranny at 225k). However, we live in california and we're up for smog this year. It's been throwing a P0420 code on the rear cat so I decided to replace it so we can pass smog. I found an aftermarket, direct fit, CARB-compliant cat from RA. I know there are some risks with aftermarket cats, but it's carb compliant and i've had good luck with one on a '99 accord we own. I pulled the old cat today and I'm comparing the two and realize that the new one has no welded on brackets for re-using the original heat shield. Instead, it has a rather tiny, what appears to be a heat shield, welded to the cat body (see pics).

Questions: 1) is this indeed a health shield, however small, on the new cat? 2) is it sufficient heat shield wise to install, given how much smaller than the OEM? 3) Am i crazy to install it on the van, or should I spend time shopping for one with brackets, or just put in one from a dealer. I'm really reluctant to put much more money into what is basically the family beater car, but grateful for any feedback.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,027 Posts
Since it's illegal to sell used cats, especially in CA, I doubt that will happen. This is but one of many issues using aftermarket cats. I'd either figure out a way to attach the original heat shields or don't use it. Those things get extremely hot and you will end up heat damaging other components.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
As has been said for when the shields come loose on cats, put a couple of large stainless steel hose clamps together and clamp the shield to the cat. Probably a good idea to leave the shield on the aftermarket cat, and put the original shield over it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For anyone in a similar situation, I wanted to to post a follow-up. But first, thanks to each of you who responded. Based on the feedback, I decided to figure out a way to attach the original heat shields so as not to risk damage to other components. Turns out it wasn't that difficult. Because the aftermarket shield was so minimal, I was able to position the original ones right over it. Although the mounting brackets were missing, I was able to use a couple of stainless steel washers to simulate the thickness, which helped everything line up and I could bolt the two halves together with the original bolts. The cat itself was otherwise a direct fit and the sensor holes and the lower bracket where the brace attaches were fine. As suggested, I used two big hose clamps to clamp down the middle part of the shields against the cat body. The cat went in with relative easy (note - it's way easier to take the passenger tire off, wish I'd done that sooner). I drove it around for a few days then took it to get smogged yesterday and it passed! As importantly, I haven't had any shield noise from that cat (although I do from the one behind it, but that's not new). Thanks again for the help, much appreciated!
IMG_5630.jpeg
IMG_5629.jpeg
IMG_5628.jpeg IMG_5630.jpeg IMG_5629.jpeg

·
Registered
12,027 Posts
Keep us updated on how long it lasts. Aftermarket cats don't have a good reputation but everyone's results vary.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts