Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Twice I have lost pwr to the radio and Navi. Intermittent electrical problems are the worst and I think that's what I've got.
The situation occurs after the car has been sitting closed in the sun, the interior temps soar. The a/c fans come on full. After two minutes, the radio and navi go out.
First time, I went for the fuses as a logical place to start. The owners manual shows fuse 15 (20 A) for the radio, but doesn't break-out the navi. Not wanting to check all five fuse boxes I went for the radio fuse first -was good- then checked all fuses in the underhood primary and secondary fuse boxes. All good, still no radio/Nav.
After checking all fuses (pulling fuse, check w/meter, reinstall) in all fuse boxes, the radio and nav now works. For a couple weeks, anyway.
Last night, same issue. Today, it's at the dealer. That's what warranty is all about and, if this is going to be recurring, best to get it on record.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
maybe the radio has a thermal overload switch that's thrown when it's too hot. Though I have not yet experienced it in Florida.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are a number of ckt bkrs, self-resetting type, looks like. The car sat overnight, same condition this am.
On occasion, I have run into bad solder joints, and crimp connectors that were never crimped. Some of these circuits worked for decades until the load went up or some other disturbance caused it to fail.
Be interesting to see what the dealer has to say...

·
Registered
359 Posts
my Navi screen just went blank today. Turned key off and restarted and it worked again. Just noticed there is a TSB for this and the fix is to replace the Navi screen (new screen has a new part number). Guess I'll add it to my list for when I finally take it back to the dealer for warranty work.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
there is a TSB for this and the fix is to replace the Navi screen (new screen has a new part number).
Update:
Day three, Touring still at dealer. They found the radio/nav problem as bad connection on one wire. They are also going to replace the computer for the rear a/c. Full details when I chat with the mechanic.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update:
Day three, Touring still at dealer. They found the radio/nav problem as bad connection on one wire. .
FYI: Not a bad connection after all.
It was, quote, "a 'bad' rear a/c computer". Huh? How can the a/c computer access and shut-down the radio and navi system?
The dealer said this problem had everyone stumped, including Honda America Tech Support -the people they turn to for help. Apparently this was a real head scratcher, something Honda hadn't run across. They documented 11 pages of trouble-shooting, in case somebody else has similar issue.
When I questioned the Honda mechanic, he shrugged, saying "don't ask me!"

1 - 6 of 6 Posts