Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at Chuck's door rattle "mod", and thought I'd go take a look at our '02 (the sliders rattle a bit on very rough roads.)

Here's the picture from Chuck's van:

Here's the thing: Our 2002 doesn't have the bottom plastic receiver, only the top one. Chuck, did you somehow add the bottom plastic receiver?

This seems a bid odd that Honda would change this for 2002, and possibly a source of future rattles.

Greg

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
No, I didn't add anything. Interesting they'd remove one. What that's supposed to accomplish? I can't see how it could possibly be an improvement to remove the bottom piece without redesigning something else. Maybe there are other changes, too?

------------------
Chuck
Click here for Ody pics, mods and fixes on FotoTime.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Went back and looked at our '02 again. It looks identical to Chuck's picture, except the bottom receiver is missing on both sides.

I'll post a picture tonight when I get home.

Greg

·
Registered
239 Posts
Has any other new 02' owners have the similar rattling noise from the sliders? I thought Honda has improved everything in the 02' until now. My 99' has 2 plastic receivers and I have never had any rattling noise problem, why they take away one receiver?
After hearing all the quality problem, I am wondering should I just stick with my 99' and ask the dealer to refund my deposit for the 02', because I am lucky to have no problem with my 99'. I am just afraid I am not going to get another one as well-made as my current one.
It seems to me that there is no guarantee that I will get a reliable Honda car anymore. The quality control is getting downhill and it will hurt Honda's reputation.
Should Honda move the assembly plant back to Japan in order to control its quality?

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have a 2002. Only one "anti rattle" thingy on the top. Both doors rattle on rough roads. I'll just put that on my list when I go back for service. That's the only problem I've had so far.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I had a "side door rattle" develop recently. The van didn't come with it but only developed it recently. Needless to say it was driving me crazy.

The other day while driving around with my wife the rattle started. She quickly jumped to the second row to see where it was coming from. The noise stopped. Jumped back into the front seat and the rattle started again. Long story short, we finally found the source of the rattle. When the second row outside arm rest is folded up, the metal seat belt tab vibrates between the arm rest and the side interior wall. Fold the arm rest down, and the rattle goes away. The reason we didn't hear the rattle while riding in the back seat is we always fasten our seat belts. Mystery Solved!

Hope this helps any one else that might be experiencing the same rattle.

-John

·
Registered
73 Posts
On my '02, there weren't any rattles at first, but I did notice one coming from the driver's side rear door after about a week. It is making me nuts.

First, I thought it was from the child seat I have in that position because I think it is worse when that seat is empty. I have been waiting for an opportunity to go for a drive with the Mrs. and without children so I can snoop around in the back while she drives. I'll keep you posted.

If I don't find a resolution, I will also ask the dealer about it at the first service interval.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I had what I thought was a door rattle but it turned out to be the middle seat latch mechanism.
Check to see that the middle seats are firmly latched down, then bang on the arm rests to see if they still rattle. Chuck has the fix in his photo album. See "middle seat noise fix", it works!

------------------
View My Pics
http://www.fototime.com/inv/36F6F83A8CFDFA6

[This message has been edited by dlh2 (edited 10-24-2001).]

·
Registered
239 Posts
Will anyone of the new 02' owner post a picture of their 02' slider just like Chuck's so that we can compare side by side to see where is the missing part ?
Thanks.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Z32:
I think the bottom latch has been reversed... it now sticks w/ the sliding door.</font>
Huh? I see the exact same pieces on my door and on Chuck's door, except he has an extra latch.

I don't see a latch mechanism on the '02 that isn't on the '01.

Greg

·
Registered
207 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Razorback:
Huh? I see the exact same pieces on my door and on Chuck's door, except he has an extra latch.

I don't see a latch mechanism on the '02 that isn't on the '01.
</font>
But look at that round rubber thing below the contacts (or whatever). The diameter of yours looks a **lot** larger than the 01; it takes up almost the whole width of the inside part of the slider whereas, in the 01 picture it looks like it takes up only about half as much space. ??

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Homer:
But look at that round rubber thing below the contacts (or whatever). The diameter of yours looks a **lot** larger than the 01; it takes up almost the whole width of the inside part of the slider whereas, in the 01 picture it looks like it takes up only about half as much space. ??

</font>
Oh, you guys are right. I'll take some up close shots of the hole and the latch on the door on the '02. Can someone do the same on an '01 or '00?

Greg

·
Registered
1,312 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Thank God. I just checked my door and those plugs weren't there. You have done too many things to your Ody Chuck we can't use your pictures as a baseline anymore.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Gentlemen,

Was I glad to find this discussion. My wife and I took delivery of our new 2002 EX-L (Starlight Silver color) on Oct 11th and the rattling sliding doors (both of them) are driving us crazy. My wife ought to be on Honda's R&D driving team for she can spot the smallest of vibrations/squeaks/rattles.

We are Honda lovers (1989 Accord Coupe with 150,012 miles and still running strong) and traded in our 1996 Chrysler Town & Country for the Odyssey, but the jury is still out on how well we like it. On a positive note, I love the Odyssey's power, quite motor, smooth shifting transmission, and handling/responsiveness. Although, thus far, the Chrysler has a smoother, quieter ride.

Thanks again for the info. I'm sure that I will be talking with you more.

Regards,
Bob

·
Registered
27 Posts
Update on my 2002 EX-L Sliding Door Rattle:
===========================================

I searched various messages related to "Sliding Door Rattles" and found a lot of good reference information. In particular the messages posted under "Problems and Concerns" then "Sliding Door Rattles Revisited..." originally posted by Razorback on 10/23/2001.

In my situation the side doors felt tight against the door frame except for the back half of the top edge.

I was able to create the rattle/squeak by pushing lightly from the outside on the top edge of the side doors, which appears to be created by either the top seal (attached to the door frame) rubbing onto itself or the top seal rubbing against its mating painted surface on the door.

I first applied a generous amount of silicon spray lubricant on all of the side door seals, and this helped, but I still had squeaks.

Secondly, I adjusted the main latch, mounted on the rear door frame, inboard approximately 1/8" by loosening the 2 Phillips head machine screws. Before I moved the latch, I noticed that it was positioned such that the "position indicator" stamping marks on the latch (one located on the top side and one located on the outboard side) and on the door frame were aligned with each other. This adjustment made a huge difference. It still seems to me that the Honda designers need to add additional latching or guides to pull the top of the side doors in tighter against the upper door frame.

After I made this adjustment, I verified that the rubber bumper (located on rear, lower portion of the door) was still making contact with the door frame by applying vaseline to the bumper surface and then closing the door.

I'll keep you posted if this adjustment continues to work.

Regards,
Bob

P.S. My wife is sure happy with this adjustment.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts