Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just put some shin etsu grease on the "puffy round" seals and the top weather stripping for the sliding doors.

Has anyone also lubed the top and bottom rollers and tracks? The top almost looks dry, though it looks like it may be ordinary chassis lube on the bottom. Anyone done these? If so, what did you use?

Any other tips to keep the manual doors working smoothly? Didn't have any problems except when it was extremely cold this winter, and I plan to keep it that way:)

·
Registered
39 Posts
caviller said:
Has anyone also lubed the top and bottom rollers and tracks? The top almost looks dry, though it looks like it may be ordinary chassis lube on the bottom. Anyone done these? If so, what did you use?
I just bought some Shin-Etsu grease. Did you find out whether it can be applied to the top and bottom rollers and tracks? Thanks!

·
Registered
608 Posts
I don't know how the van comes from the dealer, but seems that cleanliness might be more important than grease.... seems grease would get loaded with road debris and make things worse.... I have used an air hose to blow the tracks clear of junk that gets in there and after 20k have had no problems....

·
Registered
249 Posts
I sprayed the top and bottom rollers and tracks with white lithium grease. To remove the track cover below the rear windows, you need to remove the taillight housing first. Make sure you don't lose the rubber washer behind each bolt when you remove the taillights.

·
Registered
608 Posts
The door is supported entirely on rollers. Putting grease on the top and bottom tracks would only help keeping it from getting corroded. and might pick up sand and other stuff.

At door handle height is where the cable is located. If you open the door and look, you can see the cable. It comes out and wraps aound the track and attaches to the back of the door. If there is any sign of wear at that point, that is where i would lube it.. and i would find out what specific type of grease is necessary for the cable.. It has to be something with staying power..

·
Registered
608 Posts
Sliding door rubber seal is sticking. I've read several notes about waxes, but am wondering if there is some kind of 'rubber conditioner' that might be better..... when i go to open the right sliding door, the motor strains, the the door kind of 'pops' and opens... i'd like to do something that makes it work normally.. and i think the rubber seal is sticking.

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
arnereil said:
Sliding door rubber seal is sticking. I've read several notes about waxes, but am wondering if there is some kind of 'rubber conditioner' that might be better..... when i go to open the right sliding door, the motor strains, the the door kind of 'pops' and opens... i'd like to do something that makes it work normally.. and i think the rubber seal is sticking.
Our van is almost three years old and we have not had a bit of door sticking. I always keep the rubber seals conditioned with 303 Protectant and there is not way anything could stick to them. I'm sure there are other things which would work as well, such as the grease mentioned above. The 303 keeps the rubber soft and very pliable, in addition to giving a surface slickness. It seems to be an unbeatable combination, in my case.

Jerry O.

·
Registered
608 Posts
It dawned on me that one of those 'dress' type applications might work (like armorall)... i found some 2001 in my garage and put it on... I think you are right... so slick it should do the trick.....

W

·
0 Posts
Jerry O said:
I'm sure there are other things which would work as well, such as the grease mentioned above.
Jerry,

You just can't bring yourself to say "Shin-Etsu", can you?!? :stupid:

Wayne

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
Wayne Lim said:
Jerry,

You just can't bring yourself to say "Shin-Etsu", can you?!? :stupid:

Wayne
I'll let you do the "trash" talkin', Wayne. :stupid:

Jerry O.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Shin-Etsu application/frequency.

Is the Shin-Etsu just for use on weatherstripping?
How much/how often should you apply it and what's the
preffered method (cloth,sponge, Q-tip, ...)

I used to just buy the Silicone lubricant in a spray can,
spray it on a small piece of sponge and then go over all the
weatherstripping every 6 month (spring and then in the fall)

I just bought a tube and at $28.63 CDN I want to make sure
its used properly....

·
Registered
6,074 Posts

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Shin-Etsu or SlyGlide from Napa are silicone greases that are used for the weather stripping to keep them in shape, they are different from the Silicone Sprays that you can get for 3.00 a can. The grease lasts much longer and you don't get that smell into the vehicle after you use it. If you live in a cold area (this time of year) the grease will prevent your doors from freezing shut. I have used it on all the weatherstripping on both of our vechicles, a little goes a long way. I found the best way to apply it is to just smear it on your finger and rub into place, if you want to, you can always use a latex glove first to keep the mess to a minimum, they go back over and wipe off the excess with a cloth (lightly)

I figure a tube should last at least 5 years...

·
Registered
629 Posts
New minty flavout Shin-Etsu with floride

I'll just have to keep the tube away from the bathroom. Don't want anyone mistaking it for toothpaste..

Maybe it would keep the plaque from sticking to the teeth :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts