Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A week or two ago, we had the infamous "cable breakage" on the left-side sliding door. I watched the YouTube videos and decided this was something I was capable of doing and ordered some of the cables off eBay.

During the time we were waiting, my kids kept accidentally trying to open the door. And one time, I noticed the motor stopped making noise, and an orange light came on the dashboard saying "sliding door." I wasn't sure what to make of it, so I just waited for the cables to arrive.

When I got the cables, I wired them up and noticed I had a big problem: they sent me 2 short cables! Obviously, I'll go back to the eBay seller and tell them their error--and chances are they'll send me the right ones.

But the fact remains that the motor on this side seems dead. Normally, pressing the button to open the door, you would at least hear the motor whirring, right? Instead, pressing the left-side button does nothing. The right-side button works same as it always did, by the way.

If the motor is truly blown, then obviously I'll have to pony up the $500ish for a new motor and have one shipped. But is there something I'm missing to see if the motor is truly dead, or something else is stuck? (a fuse?)

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
5,929 Posts
When the slide door light is illuminated that motor is disabled. You have to do the reset procedure for it to work again.

Reactions: 2011.2017.odyssey

·
Registered
221 Posts
The cables are going to be a tangled rats nest when you open it up. With the additional actuations, it may be even worse. I opted for swapping the whole assembly because I didn’t want to deal with the ferrules and winding the cables. Just wanted to do the job once. When I ordered the part, a new rear bracket came with it with updated roller bearings which was a good thing because the old one was shot. Here are some pics of what you are tearing into.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's what mine looks like right now. :-D honestly, getting the mess of wires off the spool wasn't too bad. But yeah, they sent the wrong length wires. (So the cable isn't long enough to let the door open all the way) the eBay seller offered a refund.

I'm still unsure if the motor is shot. Do you have more guidance for the reset procedure? I have a Chilton Manual that says something about pulling a fuse, but I haven't had a chance to get back into the garage yet.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
5,929 Posts
I'm still unsure if the motor is shot. Do you have more guidance for the reset procedure? I have a Chilton Manual that says something about pulling a fuse, but I haven't had a chance to get back into the garage yet.
You need to pull the sliding door fuse (on past generations it was the #7 fuse in the driver's side fuse box, not sure if it's the same this gen), close the door, then open the door. I believe that should reset it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oh well. There's 10 million explanations on the internet on how to do it on the 3rd gen, but no one seems to know how to do it on the 4th gem. I tried pulling various fuses suggested here and elsewhere on the interwebs, but nothing changed. Finally I just pulled the battery terminal for a few minutes. After hooking the battery back up, the door motors and actuators are all whirring and making noise, which is all I needed. I can see the motor turning in the back.

So now I just need to order a new set of cables and I can put it all back together.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
5,929 Posts
Reactions: adg8165

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
3,113 Posts
Finally I just pulled the battery terminal for a few minutes. After hooking the battery back up, the door motors and actuators are all whirring and making noise, which is all I needed.
Correct. The door just needs to be closed when power is re-applied to the sliding door system. (whether at the battery or by a fuse)

-Charlie

·
Registered
2 Posts
CarCableGuy is a good source
I had good experience with carcableguy.com. They are very supportive and warranty my snapped cable with no question asked. Also provide good guide on diagnosing other sliding door parts issues and provide correct parts at very reasonable cost and shipping to Canada.

Odyssey sliding door repairs, carcableguy.com is definitely the way to go to start with.

·
Registered
1 Posts
A week or two ago, we had the infamous "cable breakage" on the left-side sliding door. I watched the YouTube videos and decided this was something I was capable of doing and ordered some of the cables off eBay.

During the time we were waiting, my kids kept accidentally trying to open the door. And one time, I noticed the motor stopped making noise, and an orange light came on the dashboard saying "sliding door." I wasn't sure what to make of it, so I just waited for the cables to arrive.

When I got the cables, I wired them up and noticed I had a big problem: they sent me 2 short cables! Obviously, I'll go back to the eBay seller and tell them their error--and chances are they'll send me the right ones.

But the fact remains that the motor on this side seems dead. Normally, pressing the button to open the door, you would at least hear the motor whirring, right? Instead, pressing the left-side button does nothing. The right-side button works same as it always did, by the way.

If the motor is truly blown, then obviously I'll have to pony up the $500ish for a new motor and have one shipped. But is there something I'm missing to see if the motor is truly dead, or something else is stuck? (a fuse?)
Quick question, where did you find the cable repair kits and maybe could you send me the link? I need to replace my passengers side regulator and I really don’t want to fork out that 500 for a while setup when I know the motors good. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
WOW I just sent my van to dealership in Dallas tx, for 2014 e-xl, they told me $4071, everything on the door needed to be replaced. I said I thought just the cable and maybe some bearings, but not over $4k. Called my local mechanic. I even talked to the technician that gave estimate and he told me the motor is attached to cable so can't just replace cable and told me at first it was a 1 day job and by the end of conversation it was a 3 day job. needless to say I am picking it up tomorrow and taking somewhere else

1 - 13 of 13 Posts