Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our new '02 EXL-RES is very solid, with the exception of one annoying rattle in the driver's side sliding door.

So I immediately went to Chuck's fototime site and lo and behold Chuck had a fix that involved floating the plastic receivers that latch the door in place.

I performed the mod, and it helped. However, on very rough roads the rattle persisted.

Here's "the rest of the story" to fix your door rattles:

1. There is an adjustable bumper on the back inside of the sliding door. Chuck points out this bumper on his site. If the bumper doesn't touch the body of the vehicle solidly, the door with RATTLE big time. You can check and see if the bumper is touching by applying something like wax, white lithium grease, etc to the bumper, then shut the door. Open the door again. You should see the wax/grease on the body of the vehicle. If you don't, turn the bumper ccw a turn or so, then try again. After you are done, be sure to wipe off the wax/grease. This step will eliminate another 50% of your door rattles.

2. The contacts on the door wasn't hitting the contacts on the door frame exactly in the center. This meant that the rubber gasket around the contacts on the door might not be sealing properly. I adjusted the door contact so that the contacts hit exactly in the middle.

By doing both of these steps, I've eliminated a noisy door.

I hope my description makes sense to everyone. I'll get a fototime accoount setup and post some pictures if needed.

Greg

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had similiar slider "rattle" problem with my 02' EXL-RES. I have found the weather strips are also making a lot of noise on very rough road, so I applied very light silicon spray with a small brush on all rubber gaskets and weather strips. Now the doors are hardly make any noise.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I had a "side door rattle" develop recently. The van didn't come with it but only developed it recently.

The other day while driving around with my wife the rattle started. She quickly jumped to the second row to see where it was coming from. The noise stopped. Jumped back into the front seat and the rattle started again. Long story short, we finally found the source of the rattle. When the second row outside arm rest is folded up, the metal seat belt tab vibrates between the arm rest and the side interior wall. Fold the arm rest down, and the rattle goes away. The reason we didn't hear the rattle while riding in the back seat is we always fasten our seat belts. Mystery Solved!

Hope this helps any one else that might be experiencing the same rattle.

-John

·
Registered
196 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by gtse:
I had similiar slider "rattle" problem with my 02' EXL-RES. I have found the weather strips are also making a lot of noise on very rough road, so I applied very light silicon spray with a small brush on all rubber gaskets and weather strips. Now the doors are hardly make any noise.</font>

Thanks gtse. I was looking for a similar spray for my doors. Can you post again with mgf. of the spray and possibly a part# ?

------------------

See my Pics

Tom
2002 RP EXL-RES

·
Registered
28 Posts
Tomhan,
Any silicon spray from hardware store or auto-part store will do the job. I got the Prestone from the Target department store for $1.77. Other places charge $3.00+.

·
Registered
196 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by gtse:
Tomhan,
Any silicon spray from hardware store or auto-part store will do the job. I got the Prestone from the Target department store for $1.77. Other places charge $3.00+.
</font>
Thanks gtse. I have three sources of noise in the drivers side slider.

The internal trim panel rattles on any kind of bump.

There is a metallic sound coming from the inside of the door. I'll hunt that down when I get around to removing the panel.

And finally, the seal squeek that you mentioned. This is easy to test for with the van parked. Just push lightly on the top edge of the slider and you will hear the seals rubbing togeather.

I'll grab a spray can on my way home from work and see how it works.

------------------

See my Pics

Tom
2002 RP EXL-RES

·
Registered
15 Posts
The drivers side door panel on my 2000 EX has been off 3 times at the dealer for adjustments to the power slider. The clips don't seem to like repeated unfastening and were not holding tight anymore - the panel rattled against the metal frame. I ordered replacement clips from handaparts.com and replaced all the clips on the slider door panel - not the upper trim pieces. Problem solved.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts