Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '02 was purchased on Sep. 6 and has been fine, up until 2 weeks ago when I wondered where that squeaking noise was coming from.

It appears to be coming from the driver-side sliding door (in the closed position, of course) as you go down the road, particularly if its a little bumpy. Any speed is a potential issue, whether side-street speed or highway speed.

Has anyone else experienced this, and if so, is there a fairly simple fix (what do I grease?) ?

Thanks!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Someone suggested coating the gasket around the door with silicon. I did it once and it seemed to help. That was 2 weeks ago but the noise is back. I'll do it again this weekend and see if it was a coincidence. I think the door has to be adjusted to really control the noise.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
The door gaskets will probably need to be done more than once, anyway. I average every two months or so for a reapplication of silicone on all of the door seals. Maybe someone else has discovered a more permanent lube - Honda recommends Shin-Etsu silicone grease, but I've never tried it.

An adjustment may still be needed, but even if it fixes any noises, lubing the seals still improves the situation, at least on my Ody.

Another sleeper source of rattles and squeaks that sounds like it's coming from the sliders is the rattling of the center seat latches against their mounts on the floor. It's easy to verify by rapping on the center seat armrests while the seats are empty. If the latches are rattling they will easily make a noise when the armrest is "thumped".

Love that Honda QC! Good luck.

------------------
Chuck
Click here for Ody pics, mods and fixes on FotoTime.

[This message has been edited by ckonarske (edited 12-06-2001).]

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hi, Welcome to squeeeeek heaven! Also took delivery in Sept and squeeks started about month ago. Did the silicone bit, but didn't help. Finally took to dealer last week who also applied silicone. That fixed one side, but he had to order new gasket for drivers side. Should have been here yesterday, but dealer hasn't called yet. Maybe new gasket will also reduce lots of exterior noise that creeps in.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by sa9651:
Hi, Welcome to squeeeeek heaven! Also took delivery in Sept and squeeks started about month ago.
Finally took to dealer last week who also applied silicone. That fixed one side, but he had to order new gasket for drivers side.
</font>
I presume you can take this to any nearby Honda dealer as it should be under warranty from the factory, yes?

·
Registered
23 Posts
For 02, this is caused by the door sub-seal. The 02 models have the new seal that corrects the sticking door problem. But this seal may cause a rattle/squeak noise. I am sure honda will be coming out with a TSB to fix these. The new style sub-seals should be available shortly.
I wouldn't mess with the adjustment myself, if it is out of adjustment let the dealer adjust.

·
Registered
27 Posts
RWhittle,

First - I used a Loc-Tite brand of silicone spray lubricant on all the rubber seals. This helped a little.

Second - As Chuck has recommended, I made sure that the one and only adjustable bumper post on the lower rear of both doors was making contact, which it was.

Third - I determined that the squeaks were primarily coming from the sliding doors top, rear surface where it contacts the top door-frame seal, as if the door was not closing enough (or not coming inboard enough). I ended up adjusting the latch (on both doors) that is attached to the back door-frame post, inboard approximately 3/32". This eliminated the squeaks for a while, but about 1 week later a squeak resurfaced on the right door.

Fourth - I took several 30-45 minute drives with my family (wife driving, me in the middle right seat) trying to pinpoint this annoying squeak. I determined that If I pushed outboard on the window at the rear of the door, the squeak went away. I was convinced that it was the window itself. I was just about to pull-off the rear, plastic interior window trim piece when I decided to look at the upper rail track. You won't believe it, but the small rubber doorstop bumper attached to the rear of the top rail was the culprit. Man was I happy. I pulled the rubber doorstop bumper completely off, took the Odyssey for a test drive, and sure enough no more annoying squeak. I fixed it by attaching some electrical tape to the painted metal rail where the bumper interfaces with it. Then I sprayed silicon lubricant onto the tape and on all faces of the doorstop bumper. One more squeak at least temporarily gone. I'll try and attach pictures.

Regards,
Bob

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Good work, Bob.
I'm looking forward to seeing some pics.

One other thing I've found when lubing the seals is that the upper seal that's mounted to the body has a fold in it that also probably serves as a water channel. It takes some special attention to get the lube inside the seal in that area.

You bring up a very good point that I've missed until now. When lubing the seals on the Odys, it looks like we need to also lube the rubber bumpers wherever they contact the paintwork. I wonder what's different about the compounds used in these seals that makes them so prone to be noisy?

Now, I've gotta go out and find the doorstop you're referring to. Thanx.

------------------
Chuck

[This message has been edited by ckonarske (edited 12-07-2001).]

[This message has been edited by ckonarske (edited 12-07-2001).]

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I followed up on Bob's suggestion to lube the upper stops on the sliders.

I don't think mine were causing any problems, but it did point up the fact that it might be a good idea to lube ALL rubber contact points (bumpers, stops, cushions, etc.,) and not just the seals.

I lubed every rubber contact point I could find on all the doors and in all of the openings. The result was another tiny notch of progress in reducing squeaks and rattles while driving on our famous (or infamous) Michigan roads. Nothing earthshaking, but definitely worth the effort.

Thanx again, Bob.

------------------
Chuck

·
Registered
27 Posts
Chuck,

I have to ask you a stupid question, how is the best way to post pictures? Can I just paste them into the "Your Reply" text box?

I don't have a website that I could post them to.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
Bob

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Hi, Bob. First, the pic has to be posted somewhere online. Then you have to copy and paste the address into your message. Enclose the address like so:
and the pic will appear in place of the address.

Further instructions are here: http://www.odyclub.com/ubb/ubbcode.html

The hard part is finding a location for the pics online. As you can see, mine are at FotoTime. Others have theirs on their own personal pages.

Good luck.

------------------
Chuck

[This message has been edited by ckonarske (edited 12-10-2001).]

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thanks to Chuck and Bob. I fixed the rattle problem, at least temporarily. It happened one month after I picked up my new Ody. I did not ajust the position of the door, just applied some silicon. I noticed the upper rubber was the key factor in my case.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Speaking of power doors, is anyone concerned about prematurely killing the battery by operating the power doors without the engine running. Don't know about any of you, but we open and close the doors at least two or three times a day without the engine running. We've started only closing the power doors after we start the engine (on the way out) and opening the doors before we shut the engine off (when we get home), but even this leaves at least two open/close cycles with no engine power.
We have started leaving the door(s) open after we unload so they remain open until the next time we use the van (eliminating one open/close cycle), but this leaves the door(s) open at least overnight. Anyone think this may lead to other problems?
Mike

·
Registered
17 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by newodyman:
Speaking of power doors, is anyone concerned about prematurely killing the battery by operating the power doors without the engine running. Don't know about any of you, but we open and close the doors at least two or three times a day without the engine running. We've started only closing the power doors after we start the engine (on the way out) and opening the doors before we shut the engine off (when we get home), but even this leaves at least two open/close cycles with no engine power.
We have started leaving the door(s) open after we unload so they remain open until the next time we use the van (eliminating one open/close cycle), but this leaves the door(s) open at least overnight. Anyone think this may lead to other problems?
Mike
</font>
Great place for Rodents to make a home.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I've had vans with power sliders since 1998 and never have had any problems with them draining the battery. Just open and close them like you would any other door. You should have no problems....

------------------
2002 EXL-RES Redrock Pearl

2001 Chevy 2500HD crewcab 4x4

·
Registered
1 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by hondaf1:
For 02, this is caused by the door sub-seal. The 02 models have the new seal that corrects the sticking door problem. But this seal may cause a rattle/squeak noise. I am sure honda will be coming out with a TSB to fix these. The new style sub-seals should be available shortly.
I wouldn't mess with the adjustment myself, if it is out of adjustment let the dealer adjust.
</font>
Hondaf1, have you heard any more on your recent post. We received our '02 with the slider rattle. Would like to know if a TSB has come out to cover this problem. I'm a little concerned about the dealer "playing" with the door to try to fix this.

·
Registered
100 Posts
DGX3...Try the silicon before you do anything else. The first time I did it lasted only 2 weeks. Now I did it again and it seems to be lasting longer. No rattles. Just get a can of silicon and spray it on a lint free rag. I've coated all the gaskets but I'm sure there's just one that is causing the noise. I'd rather do the silicon thing then have the dealer fool with the door.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I Just Recently Noticed A Squeaking Noise Coming From Behind The Drivers Side Slider, I Was Getting Ready To Take It To The Dealer, Until I Remembered The Oddy Forum,....... Thanks Everybody For All the Tips

1 - 20 of 20 Posts