Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The trim plate covering the door slider track mid way up the body has come loose. There are a couple spot welds that hold clips in place and the spot welds have let go. I plan to "J-B Weld" it, but wanted to know if there were any better suggestions...

Thx

·
Registered
115 Posts
The clips fell off my left side, and rattled until I took them out. I never bothered to reattach them. Now the clips on the right side seem to be making noise.

When my clips first let loose, I brought it to the Honda dealer, figuring that if a body panel weld fails, it should be covered by warrantee. It's not. Honda recommended a welder.

My earlier thread about this:
http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=47303

·
Registered
115 Posts
I went through a touchless car wash the other day. Exiting under the "tornado" forced air dryer, the high speed wind caused my van to partially disassemble.

The bug deflector at the leading edge of the hood cracked and ripped off, and scampered across the parking lot.

The door track cover panel blew partially off. As reported earlier, the welds holding the attachment clips had failed. The panel was being held on only by the 2 screws at the back (under the tail light assembly) and by one screw at the front. That one screw at the front attaches to a spot welded bracket. That welded bracket failed in the car wash dryer. The front of the panel popped outward about 3 inches, and drooped down about 1 inch. If I would have opened the sliding door, there would have been drastic damage.

I was able to reposition the panel in place, and jam a magazine in the door frame that held the panel in place until I could drive the mile back to my home. I took the panel completely off, and intend to do the same to the other side. I will use some JB Weld epoxy to glue my van back together as soon as the temp gets above 40°F. (Thursday I hope.)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does the JB weld work for this repair?

I was going to remove the track and use rivets...but I have to disassembel the van interior to remove the track...so using an epoxy 'weld' woukdbe far easier.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've been experiencing the same problem on my van's left sliding door. Today while driving it around a curve, the last weld must have come loose and the trim plate went flying, attached to the vehicle only by the two screws at the rear (beneath the rear tail light cover). I pulled off the road and was able to remove the trim plate, but the strength of the wind speed as I slowed down must have bent the plate (and the metal clip that holds the two screws). The bend is only about two inches from the rear tip; the rest of the trim plate is unharmed.

I'm prepared to attempt the JB weld/epoxy technique to reattach the plate, but does anyone have any tips on how I can neatly bend the plate back into position (or as close to it as possible) before I use the epoxy?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same problem with the trim plate on the right side, I ended up buying a new track as some of the clips had vibrated out of the trim plate along the road somewhere. It took a few hours to disassemble the interior to get at the track mounting bolts. Once replaced it was as good as new, that was last year, but now the left side is starting to rattle. I think I will try the JB Weld repair, that stuff is great and seems to work on everything else I have needed a low temperature method to bond metal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts