Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Sliding door will not open, beeps three times

768 11
I have spent hours going through forums and YouTube to try to find someone with the same issue as my van, but have not found a match. Here is all the information:

-2012 Odyssey EX-L
-Issue location: Driver's side sliding door
-If I press the Open switch from the driver's seat, it will beep 3 times but the door does not open (like it is still locked)
-If I press the Open switch from the back switch, there are no beeps and the door does not open
-The door closes from either switch just fine
-Lock and Unlock buttons work correctly
-Door correctly locks when gas tank door is opened (that sensor seems to be working)
-If I gently pull on the outside door handle, it will beep 3 times but door does not open. However, if I pull hard on the outside door handle, the door opens slightly. Then, the Open switches correctly function to open the door from either switch (or if I pull gently again on the handle)
-I checked all fuses that I assume are related to the doors, and they are all good

Other issues that may or may not be related:
-Tailgate will only open with the key fob
-For the same door with the issue above, the power window is not functioning

Thank you for replies!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
3,271 Posts
For the same door with the issue above, the power window is not functioning
Oh, this is a big hint. Check the "CESS" harness that goes between the door and the body of the van for damage. It is inside the accordion-tube looking thing and can be replaced as a separate part to the rest of the door or body harness for just this reason.

Do you get any whirring or popping noises as the door is trying to open before the beeps?

-Charlie

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, this is a big hint. Check the "CESS" harness that goes between the door and the body of the van for damage. It is inside the accordion-tube looking thing and can be replaced as a separate part to the rest of the door or body harness for just this reason.

Do you get any whirring or popping noises as the door is trying to open before the beeps?

-Charlie
Thank you for your reply!

Yes! There is some damage to the plastic and rubber parts of the accordion wiring harness, but I could not find any issues with the wires with a quick visual inspection. I will do a better check and let you know.

No, the door just sits there and beeps (does not try to open).

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Before you get too deep into it, I often have issues with the "lock" on the dash. You should slide it back and forth View attachment 170500
a few times to verify it's not the problem.
Thank you for your idea! I really appreciate anyone's help!

I went to that first to try to 'reset' the doors. I also had to slide it back and forth a few times while watching all the mechanisms with the door panel removed. Unfortunately, it looks like the next step is a deep dive, and I am going to try the wiring harness next this weekend.

You are both awesome for responding to my cry for help!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm trying to figure out a similar issue with my 2011 passenger side. After it beeps 3 times, is it follow by a long constant alarm?

My door begins to open about 4-6", stops, beeps 3x, then has a constant beep for about 1 minute.

The window work, the locks work, the door can be operated from all switches.

I've replaced the rear latch assembly, the power lock assembly, the middle door rollers, and the power sliding motor with all new OEM parts, but nothing seems to be fixing my issue.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Is the slide door light on in the cluster? Then scan for the body code(s) to get a better insight on the problem. I wonder if the 3rd Gen "foil trick" work on the 4th gen to blink out the codes? :unsure:

·
Registered
21 Posts
No lights or indicator that the passenger door is ajar or open.

I've also been trying to identify why my battery keeps dying - I speculate that it's because the PSD isn't considered closed and the CPU is not going to sleep. But! I tested for a parasitic drain and only found a 13 milliampere draw so I'm not sure what's going on. Dorr doesn't open, and car gets a dead battery after a few days.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
From your Owner's Manual this is the light I'm referring to: (and I realize that you said "No lights or indicator")
Rectangle Font Screenshot Circle Number

If this light is on, there is a body code(s) that can be retrieved with an advanced scanner. (Not the free scan at Advance Auto! :ROFLMAO:)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Okay I see what you mean now. Sorry, I reset it all the time from the master switch. I get the dash message about checking the right sliding door when I let it complete the 3x beeps and 4th constant beep.

I'll have to bring it into the dealership to get a scan. Do you know how much for a scan?

·
Registered
2 Posts
@phattyduck was spot on! I purchased a new Cess Assembly here:

Installation was easy, and now both the door and the window work perfectly!
I wonder if this will fix my sliding door issue. I have a similar issue with the 3 beeps and the door not responding, with the variation of the door latches shut every time it's unlatched.

The only way I can open the door is with the manual override on, then one hand keeping the internal latch open and the other hand from the external handle forcing it open.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts