Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I just purchased a 2012 Touring less than a week ago, and I'm already running into problems. The power sliding door on the passenger side occasionally has problems closing. It'll close almost all the way (less than an inch left), and then it acts like something is in the way and bounces back. I've checked multiple times, and there's nothing obstructing the close. I'll try a few times, and the same thing happens.

If I force it to close that last half an inch, then it closes without a problem. For the rest of the day, it seems to be ok. Then, the next day, after sitting in our garage all night, the problem will usually recur.

I'm going to take it into the dealership, but before I do so, I wanted to see if anyone here has run into the problem. It's disappointing that it's already having issues.

Thanks to all who participate on this form - it's truly a great resource for Ody owners!

·
Super Moderator
13,646 Posts
Take it in. This usually happens when the rollers are worn out and the door becomes harder to close due to worn rollers. Since its happening to you so early, there must be something they need to adjust so the door doesn't think there's an obstruction.

If you look at the van from the side, does the door appear flush and are the gaps around the door even comparing it to the other door?

·
Registered
8 Posts
My wife just called me to report a similar problem with our 2-day old 2012 Odyssey Touring. When the passenger sliding door closes the front part of the door latches, but the rear does not. It protrudes out about an inch and the car chimes incessantly while in motion.

I suggested that she try forcing it closed but she was not able to push it in. It is going in to the dealer now and I'll update when I get their explanation.

·
Registered
8 Posts
DaddyMac,

Unfortunately I didn't get a very detailed explanation from the service tech, but some part of the latch mechanism (he also said door handle, which doesn't really make sense) was defective from the factory. They were able to get a replacement overnight and had it fixed by mid-day.

I know it's only a sample of three, but this seems like a pretty specific and recurring factory defect that Honda should be looking at.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same issue with my Honda Oddissy 2012 Trouring, I would like to know the part they replaced..my door is closing and opening and allways have a beep like if one door is open.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Same issue with my three-week-old 2012 Odyssey Touring. Passenger side sliding door looks like it's almost completely closed before it beeps and reverses itself. No obvious obstructions. Problem is intermittent. Maybe we all have cars from the same batch. Would appreciate any guidance on how the problem gets fixed so that the dealer doesn't go on a wild goose chase.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Interesting that all (except one) are Touring models.....

·
Registered
3 Posts
We have the same problem with our 2011 EX. It always seems to happen right at my daughters school in line to drop her off. We have not had it a week yet and it has happened 3 times. Just when I think it will close, it beeps and opens again. When I get home, I can open and close it 50 times and it works fine. It is very frustrating!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Sorry to say but the new factory where these are built seem to have lots of quality issues. Poor craftsmanship or something.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Where/when did they open a new factory? I thought these were being bulit in alabama plant where the previous 2 versions were made.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Where/when did they open a new factory? I thought these were being bulit in alabama plant where the previous 2 versions were made.
Sorry, I wasnt thinking when i replied. :DD

I believe this is the first Odyssey to be entirely designed, engineered and built in the US.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I went to the dealer and of course it closed fine... they said I may incur a 97 dollar fee if the repair guys look at it and do not find a part to replace. I was very frustrated, but they said they can not fix something if they can not reproduce the problem. Anyone have any luck and know the exact problem? Ugh!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same here - 5 weeks old and driven only for about 350 miles.

Mine is a EX-L with navi, I'm going to take mine to the shop today.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Do you have a phone with video or something similar to take video with? Take some video and use it as proof. I know it is not easy, but I guess there are few choices around.
Thanks, that it a really good idea! It will be interesting to hear other stories from people bringing theirs in and how it turned out. Thanks for the idea
-Kim

·
Registered
9 Posts
I too am running into the same annoying issue, in our case to our Odyssey 2011 EX. This is our first Odyssey and we bought it brand new with only 6mi on it. We noticed the issue only a week after having the van. The driver side sliding door would often have problems closing the first time and would often take my wife 3 or 4 times. It has gotten frustrating to the point that we've had to guide the rear end of the door to push it in so that it will close. Like what others mentioned, just when the door is less than an inch away, it beeps and retracts as if something was in the way.

We brought it back to the dealer two weeks afters purchasing the vehicle and were told that they could only guess and make a few adjustments since they couldn't reproduce the issue. Sadly that same day after bringing the car back home, the issue was happening again. What's frustrating is that the problem is intermittent.

I was able to take a video if it happening and showed it to the mechanic. He suggested leaving the car overnight because he thinks that it has something to do with the cold temps. Even if that was the case, I still don't think that this should be happening. Anyway, he lubed the rubber piece by the door and said that this should help with it. Since then it has only happened one other time and has been better. It's inconvenient having the bring the car back only for them not to be able to reproduce the issue. I've decided to monitor things for now and will bring it back in the event the issue rears it's ugly head again.

I still think that there is something mechanically wrong with the van and that it's just a matter of time that Honda issues a recall considering the issue seems to be prevalent.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts