Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought an '08 Odyssey EX, and noticed that the driver's side sliding door opens about 6" (rough guess) farther than the passenger side door does. (No difference between power and manual operation of the doors.) It doesn't seem like anything is broken, but I'd like to have both doors open as far as possible.

Details: I looked under the lower (calf height) support beam connecting each door to its track, and noticed a little spring-action rocker arm that makes one door hit an "early stop" on its track, while letting the other door open farther to the "late stop" on its track. Since both tracks have both stops, is this configurable? Why do two stops exist, i.e., what else would I be affecting if I did find a way to switch a door to the other stop?

(Yes, I'm a n00b. And yes - I did read the manual, I did search this site and the web in general, and haven't found any reference to this issue/question anywhere.)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Is your passenger side's window open? The sliding door opens less when the window is opened. If both are closed, maybe something is broken that makes the passenger side open less.

·
Registered
48 Posts
This got me curious. As far as I know I think both my doors open the same, never have tried opening the door with the window down. Guess I'll try it and see what happens.
I've only had my odyssey for less than a week. Have looked up a lot of the different things you can customize I. The setting but I'm yet to see anything about the doors.
Good luck. I'll report my findings.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My window sensor may be broken

Is your passenger side's window open? The sliding door opens less when the window is opened. If both are closed, maybe something is broken that makes the passenger side open less.
Good catch melvinh! I just tried opening and closing windows and doors in various combinations. My driver's side door stops at the "early stop" when its window is open, and at the "late stop" when the window is closed. But my passenger side door stops at the "early stop" either way, so I think my passenger side may have a broken window sensor that thinks the window is always open.

I'll see if pulling a fuse for 30 seconds will reset the window sensor's notion of where "closed" is, just in case it's still functional and just got confused.

Would it be a bad pun to say you got me on the right "track"?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Tried it too. My doors don't open all the way either when my window is down all the way. Seems to me thats how things work, don't know why but everything seems normal here. They open all the way when window is up or half way.
Don't think I've noticed that before. Then again I've had my ody for a week and it's not the warmest I Oregon yet to be riding with the windows down yet.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The reason for door to open less when window is open: to prevent someone's arm or head (when reaching out the window) get caught and compressed when the sliding door opens. The sliding door doesn't have a sensor to stop when opening (actually, there is mechanical stop sensor in 2008). It only has sensor when closing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Door alarm beeping in Drive??

I have an '05 Touring and noticed the difference in the drivers door opening , but never knew why. Now I have a beeping alarm going off whenever the van is taken out of park???
Dealer told me that the door lost its memory and cannot figure out why! The battery died a month ago(original) and it was replaced with an Advanced Auto replacement with adequate CCA's.
Since that time the battery was dead when my wife tried to start it(of course), and I caught the dickens as a result!
The dealer cannot find a drain and is miffed as to why it's happening...

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have an '05 Touring and noticed the difference in the drivers door opening , but never knew why. Now I have a beeping alarm going off whenever the van is taken out of park???
Dealer told me that the door lost its memory and cannot figure out why! The battery died a month ago(original) and it was replaced with an Advanced Auto replacement with adequate CCA's.
Since that time the battery was dead when my wife tried to start it(of course), and I caught the dickens as a result!
Here is a thread on how to reset the door. There are others floating about too, this was found using door AND reset as the search terms. Hope it helps.

·
Registered
250 Posts
We had a battery drain problem once...and was caused by faulty radio. I was ticked off so bad, cause it was 1 week before dealership installed a new battery. when came back from business trip, van had a dead battery in the parking garage at the airport. I was able to start it up, cause I carried one of those portable jumper battery kit. I wasn't happy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Dealer said all was good and they siad again it was fine! Went to pick it up and put it in drive and alarm sounded!!! Brought out service advisor and showed them that they couldn't follow directions I provided which told them exactly how to find the problem. They just started it and did not put it in drive...anyway went home and the next morning the tech went to bring it into shop and it was dead!!!
Before we left I showed them that the door acted differently than the passenger side slider. When it shut and locked, it popped out about 3/8"!!! That was forcing the latch mechanism to pull a draw on the battery.
They replaced the door latch motor and added two hours of door disassembly to the tune of 400.00...I'll let you know if it maintains it charge over the next week.
Thanks All...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts