Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10,130 Posts
He said he used ATF for "import" that is equivalent to DW1.
After being so diligent with service since new, you probably let your guard down by trusting the shop to use a truly Honda-compatible ATF. "Import" + "equivalent" = Kryptonite.

Slipping is tough on the clutches. Don't drive it any more than absolutely necessary until the 3-times drain/fill is complete.

Take a short drive at highway speed between each d/f cycle to mix the new fluid into the large volume of fluid in the torque converter.

Dumb question, how is the fluid level?

·
Registered
10,130 Posts
The only reason I let the mechanic do it is so that I have documentation. I know that I can do it and keep the receipts but I was afraid that it only says I bought the fluid, not I changed the fluid.
Makes sense that a shop work order could be stronger proof than a retail store receipt.

However, the two are actually equivalent in strength. Service done DIY, at an independent shop, or at a Honda dealer all qualify equally toward the owner's responsibility for maintaining the warranty.

This is outside the terms of the warranty, but they would probably look first at the condition of the fluid to assess its service history before seeking documentation.

Reactions: oldskewel

·
Registered
10,130 Posts
That would be bad right :). I was just beside him and the fluid was clear red. It's not Maxlife though.
That would indeed be bad (using engine oil in the transmission).

However, all engine oil is gold while all ATF is red. So whatever brand he used, at least it was ATF.

·
Registered
10,130 Posts
The same fluid (whatever brand the mechanic uses) keeps the CRV running for 15 years (400K now) with no problem causes the Odyssey to fail early.
Apples and oranges.

The Ody is about 1/2 ton heavier than the CRV, with about 50% more engine torque coming into the transmission.

The Ody's transmission is apparently less tolerant of out-of-spec ATF's. I don't think that constitutes early failure.

Reactions: 0dyfamily

·
Registered
10,130 Posts
This is most interesting.....
Sure is; the chart shows huge differences in certain elements between brands of ATF, e.g. Valvoline Import vs. Valvoline Maxlife.

This is all the more reason to stick with an ATF that's known to work in these vans i.e. not to experiment, or to trust a mechanic to choose.

·
Registered
10,130 Posts
I have no idea how this myth has gained so much traction over the last few years.
Manufacturers trying to justify their sealed-for-life transmissions. ;)

• Haha

·
Registered
10,130 Posts
compatible with DW-1 ATF
Well, his fluid is maybe compatible in some respects (e.g. viscosity?). But it clearly did not work in your Ody.

Lesson learned all around.

Thanks for the update. Do post a pic when you can.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts