Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
3,465 Posts
What ATF did you use?

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
3,465 Posts
I only have 261K miles using DW-1 and have not an issue and not worth experimenting with another brand at this point to save a buck.
My logic thus far exactly

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
3,465 Posts
This is beyond excessive, follow a more reasonable schedule. A trust-worthy mechanic would not have recommended an ATF change every 5k miles. You're just lining their pockets.
Just what some people prefer to do. If you notice, OP said they usually do it themself. So I doubt it's a case of a mechanic ripping them off.

Some people do it every oil change, others do it every other oil change, 15k, 30k, never, etc.

Reactions: 0dyfamily

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
3,465 Posts
Read the posts. He does most of the drain and fills himself. And doing one at every OC is something that many posters here do.
o_O Same post, same time

Reactions: Ted

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
3,465 Posts
Either you are waiting too long to change your engine oil or your wasting money changing the ATF fluid too often. Engine oil and filter should be changed about ever 7500 miles. ATF can go 30 k miles . The next quest is what ATF are you using? You need to use the right one, otherwise you will have problems. Lastly, did you check to make sure you didn't leak out any fluid?
You should probably read the rest of the posts before replying...

Reactions: white2015

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
3,465 Posts
0dyfamily. So I bought a 2015 minivan with maybe one ATF change at around 80k miles. Now the van has 197k miles. The transmission is fine, maybe a little shaky around 30mph but nothing major. Do you recommend a change the ATF even if the color is brown?!?!!?
Brown means should be changed ASAP. It's black that should have you a little concerned.

You definitely should be changing fluid more often than that...at least every 30k.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts