Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
3 years ago, I purchased a new set of Michelin Symmetries from Walmart for my 03 EXL, to replace my old ones. I had gotten the exact replacement with 98T load index, plus they were having a great sale at the time. I aslo got free lifetime rotating and balancing.
Recently when I took the van in to get the tires rotated one of the tire techs noted the tires were dry rotting. I said how could that be, the tires are 3 years old and not even 20K on them.
I looked at the tires and the only sign of dry rot I could see is small cracking between the treads. I did not see any sign of cracking on the sidewalls.
In any event, he said I could get 60-75% pro-rated, and throw on Douglass Xtra-Trac (Walmarts brand) since they no longer carry Symmetries, and plus Douglas is the only tire they carry with a 98 load rating. When I googled Douglas, it seemed to be an inferior tire.

So my question is does small cracks between treads mean the tire is rotting? Or is some cracking normal? If I remember my old Symmetries had the same cracking. I really don't want to give up my Michelins for a no-name tire.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
You bought the tires 3 years ago, but when were they made ? Look for the DOT number engraved on the sidewall. The last four digits tell its date of manufacture. The first two tell the week and the last two tell the year (assume the year to start with 20??).

Sometimes tires can sit in stock for quite a while. If they are more than six years old, I would replace them. But like you, I would stay with a good brand. I am very happy with my Michelin X from Costco.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
davedrivesody said:
You bought the tires 3 years ago, but when were they made ? Look for the DOT number engraved on the sidewall. The last four digits tell its date of manufacture. The first two tell the week and the last two tell the year (assume the year to start with 20??).
My tires were installed Aug 2007, and here are the date codes on the tires:

2 tires- 2207 (late May 2007) 3 months old
1 tire- 2507 (mid June 2007) 2 months old
1 tire -3906 (late Sept 2006) 11 months old

So 1 tire was almost a year old already, but that tire looks no different than the other 3 as far as wear or cracks in the treads.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Take to another Michelin dealer, but don't expect too much. A 4 year old tire, even 3+, is pretty old for a dry rot claim. Toyo recently refused same due to age on some about 3 yrs old for a friend's car, even with my tire dealer strongly advocating (we're a fleet customer). Mich might be different. If you get any adjustment, you can buy better tires at a different dealer than Wally's place!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts