Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Around mid Sept 2020, I had changed the weak car battery with a new one.

On Feb 2021, I got a mailing from the CA DMV that I had to do Smog on my 2013 Honda Ody EX-L before I get it registered. So I got the oil changed done by the dealer last Thursday at the dealer.

When I brought it to the SMOG station, the tech finished my vehicle in less than 10 mins for a $30 charge. The lady in the office said it failed on OBDII not ready for smog test. The tech didn't even tell me anything (not so good service). Just drive it she said.

Anyone experience a similar issue or have any idea what could be the issue? I just charged up the battery again with the Noco charger. Waiting for my OBDII dongle to examine if anything else is not normal.

The dashboard has no warning lights. The vehicle always have been well maintained and taken care of.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
It probably has one or more outstanding monitors as a result of disconnecting the battery. All you can do is drive it enough to satisfy the computer that the monitor(s) can be cleared.

Hopefully the OBDII dongle that's coming can show outstanding monitors...

·
Registered
42 Posts
This is completely normal.

When the tech resets the Change Oil light it also resets the needed smog information from the NVRAM on the onboard computer. You need at least 50 miles or so on the car after an oil change before doing the smog test. You will not spot any errors on your standard ODBII scanner.

Lesson here is don't do a SMOG test immediately any work done on the vehicle.

dave

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
1,338 Posts
This is completely normal.

When the tech resets the Change Oil light it also resets the needed smog information from the NVRAM on the onboard computer. You need at least 50 miles or so on the car after an oil change before doing the smog test. You will not spot any errors on your standard ODBII scanner.

Lesson here is don't do a SMOG test immediately any work done on the vehicle.

dave
Not true at all. The oil change light and the OBD-II readiness monitors are not connected.

That said, sometimes it takes a while for the readiness monitors to be set. In these "covid times" there may not be sufficient drive cycles to set all the monitors. Take it out on a 30+ mile drive and most/all of the rest of the monitors should set. If all you do is short drives (to/from the market, etc.) then full heating/drive cycle stuff won't be set. Sometimes of the EVAP monitors need a specific range of fuel in the tank too...

Some more advanced OBD-II scanners will report what monitors are not ready, which will help in choosing 'how' to drive to get the monitor to set and pass your smog check.

-Charlie

Reactions: skelsall

·
Registered
489 Posts
Not true at all. The oil change light and the OBD-II readiness monitors are not connected.

That said, sometimes it takes a while for the readiness monitors to be set. In these "covid times" there may not be sufficient drive cycles to set all the monitors. Take it out on a 30+ mile drive and most/all of the rest of the monitors should set. If all you do is short drives (to/from the market, etc.) then full heating/drive cycle stuff won't be set. Sometimes of the EVAP monitors need a specific range of fuel in the tank too...

Some more advanced OBD-II scanners will report what monitors are not ready, which will help in choosing 'how' to drive to get the monitor to set and pass your smog check.

-Charlie
Yep, the EVAP test seems to have the most conditions and is usually the last to pass. The gas level is key to note because if you always keep your tank full, or always on fumes, one of the tests will never run. Think one of the tests requires gas level between 15-85% or 25-75% on a cold start.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts

-Charlie
His dates were:

Around mid Sept 2020 - "Changed battery"
Feb 2021 - "OBDII not ready for smog test"

It would certainly be helpful to know how the vehicle has been used in the 4+ months since the battery was changed.

4+ months seems like a long time for there not to have been at least one 30+ mile trip, but it's certainly possible.

@netman88: What say you?

·
Registered
489 Posts
Yea but who knows what happened at the dealer. They may disconnected the battery or cleared the emissions readiness tests for some reason.

Best thing to do is get an OBDII reader, check which test isn't complete, then lookup the conditions required to complete it. A single 30 mile drive wouldn't cover a complete drive cycle.

I use a cheap obdii bluetooth dongle and the Torque app on my phone to check the readiness tests.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
His dates were:

Around mid Sept 2020 - "Changed battery"
Feb 2021 - "OBDII not ready for smog test"

It would certainly be helpful to know how the vehicle has been used in the 4+ months since the battery was changed.

4+ months seems like a long time for there not to have been at least one 30+ mile trip, but it's certainly possible.

@netman88: What say you?
Thanks for everyone for helping and chiming in.
Yes, we drive the van around 2x a week around the area and on the 4th week, we take around 75+ miles to run errands.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea but who knows what happened at the dealer. They may disconnected the battery or cleared the emissions readiness tests for some reason.

Best thing to do is get an OBDII reader, check which test isn't complete, then lookup the conditions required to complete it. A single 30 mile drive wouldn't cover a complete drive cycle.

I use a cheap obdii bluetooth dongle and the Torque app on my phone to check the readiness tests.
Yeap, I have one coming on Thursday. Which reader did you get? Nice output.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Yeap, I have one coming on Thursday. Which reader did you get? Nice output.
That's from the Torque Pro app running on my Android phone. It connects to the car with a obdii bluetooth dongle I bought years ago for about $12 on amazon. The pro version of the app is like $5, but I think the free version will show you emissions readiness status.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Thanks for everyone for helping and chiming in.
Yes, we drive the van around 2x a week around the area and on the 4th week, we take around 75+ miles to run errands.
Did the radio work when you got the vehicle back after the oil change? Was the clock set correctly and all of your stations still saved?

·
Registered
842 Posts
The person at the smog check could have been more helpful by telling you which monitors were open. And most states allow the evap to be open because some vehicles may not see the needed conditions (like ambient temp) for months, especially in winter.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
DerbyDad03 said:
Did the radio work when you got the vehicle back after the oil change? Was the clock set correctly and all of your stations still saved?

Yes, and Yes.
Then it would appear (at least to me) that the oil change tech did not disconnect the battery.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The person at the smog check could have been more helpful by telling you which monitors were open. And most states allow the evap to be open because some vehicles may not see the needed conditions (like ambient temp) for months, especially in winter.
Interesting. Would it be even a good to to return that place for the $10 discount for the re-test? It's $19.99 + $8 cert still. They charged me $30 for the failed test.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Interesting. Would it be even a good to to return that place for the $10 discount for the re-test? It's $19.99 + $8 cert still. They charged me $30 for the failed test.
What's the timeframe for your registration renewal?

If you can wait until your OBDII reader arrives, I'd suggest not spending any money having a retest done. You might also be able to take it to an Advance Auto/Autozone type store and see if they'll check the monitors for free.

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
1,338 Posts
They are not allowed to volunteer any information to the customer. They are allowed to answer specific questions if you ask. Stupid, I know. I was just dealing with smog on a pre-OBD-II car recently and that came up. Welcome to California...

I believe you can have one non-ready emissions monitor in California, but that may be variable based on the year of the vehicle, etc.

-Charlie

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What's the timeframe for your registration renewal?

If you can wait until your OBDII reader arrives, I'd suggest not spending any money having a retest done. You might also be able to take it to an Advance Auto/Autozone type store and see if they'll check the monitors for free.
April, I want to get it done. That shop owner is not a friendly person.

·
Registered
842 Posts
They are not allowed to volunteer any information to the customer. They are allowed to answer specific questions if you ask. Stupid, I know. Welcome to California...
Suppression of speech. A longstanding tradition on the left coast, it seems.

Reactions: oldskewel

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Suppression of speech. A longstanding tradition on the left coast, it seems.
Not really, he just has a bad attitude. But if that smog passed, I got a decent price. In CA, we don't have car inspections like some states do.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts