Honda Odyssey Forum banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
A number of mechanics has recommended to change at least 6 months.
Yep, the oil change interval depends on time too.

The exact interval depends on many factors, e.g. the oil's capacity to deal with condensation, and the local climate.

I prefer to change the oil at 6 months too. IMHO 12 months is the absolute limit no matter what.

Reactions: netman88

·
Super Moderator
13,822 Posts
I didn't notice anything on excessive oil consumption. I used to change the oil when it's at 10-15% with the maintenance minder. Now, we change it every 6 months given we don't drive much. Oil is cheap but the other parts aren't. A number of mechanics has recommended to change at least 6 months.
The owner's manual asks for an oil change regardless of the maintenance minder status every year not every 6 months. Switch to a good full synthetic and then do a yearly OCI if you are not getting to 10 - 15% oil life.

I am in my 11th month now. Will change in spring. Due to COVID, my oil life is at 40% remaining.

·
Super Moderator
13,822 Posts
Yep, the oil change interval depends on time too.

The exact interval depends on many factors, e.g. the oil's capacity to deal with condensation, and the local climate.

I prefer to change the oil at 6 months too. IMHO 12 months is the absolute limit no matter what.
That is a lot of perfectly good wasted oil Dave. :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #45 (Edited)
The owner's manual asks for an oil change regardless of the maintenance minder status every year not every 6 months. Switch to a good full synthetic and then do a yearly OCI if you are not getting to 10 - 15% oil life.

I am in my 11th month now. Will change in spring. Due to COVID, my oil life is at 40% remaining.
Probably a better idea to change it every 6 months to avoid issues to be safe but the decision is up to you'll.

Car Care Nut (check it out).

Also Scotty Kilmer suggests changing every 6 months at least.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
So. if I understood the CCN video correctly, these are the rules:

1 - Follow the manufacturer's recommendation for the type of oil.
2 - Follow the manufacturer's recommendation for the type of oil filter.
3 - Ignore the manufacturer's recommendation for the oil change interval.

Toyota only got 2 out of 3 right.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
That is a lot of perfectly good wasted oil Dave. :)
Yeah, probably. Without an oil analysis, I know I am erring on the side of caution.

A friend used to drop by to top up her oil with what I had drained from the Ody. She used to joke that it was as good as new oil, but much cheaper. LOL

Seriously though, the reason for my paranoia is that I find a lot of condensate water in the oil that I drain from my snowblower before each winter. (Installed fresh each spring.) Full synthetic oil, 1 qt capacity, humid summer weather.

I don't see any water in the oil I drain from the Ody. It probably burned off by driving. But even its short-lived presence would have depleted the oil additives.

·
Super Moderator
13,822 Posts
Probably a better idea to change it every 6 months to avoid issues to be safe but the decision is up to you'll.

Also Scotty Kilmer suggests changing every 6 months at least.
You do realize that a couple of generations of Toyotas had oil sludge issues. Hondas never had the problem.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Do you have a VCM defeat device?
It works by tricking the PCM via the coolant temperature sensor.
If the fooled sensor reading is below an OBD2 monitor start temp then it will never be ran.
I'd pop it off for a few days and use a scanner.

·
Registered
14,552 Posts
Do you have a VCM defeat device?
It works by tricking the PCM via the coolant temperature sensor.
If the fooled sensor reading is below an OBD2 monitor start temp then it will never be ran.
I'd pop it off for a few days and use a scanner.
See post 44

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
You do realize that a couple of generations of Toyotas had oil sludge issues. Hondas never had the problem.
Yes, I know about those but any engine can build up sludge. Changing oil more often is remedy from future issues.

·
Super Moderator
13,822 Posts
Yes, I know about those but any engine can build up sludge. Changing oil more often is remedy from future issues.
Well. Then you should change the oil monthly/weekly or perhaps daily. :)

Reactions: oldskewel

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
1,336 Posts
It doesn't take much to keep the inside of an engine clean - here is a Toyota engine from the late 90's with ~270k miles on it (my 4Runner):

That's 5k oil changes with whatever the quick-lube place put in it for the first ~250k miles and then a couple oil changes with Rotella T6.

Having worked at a Toyota dealer for a summer around 2000, I can tell you that there are TONS of Toyota owners that are horrible with maintenance. About once a week, a customer would come in with a seized motor around 60k miles - because they had literally done zero maintenance (no oil changes, no adding oil, nothing)... My wife's first car ('95 Tercel, bought new for her at 16) made it to ~150k miles with 3 or 4 oil changes (and yes, it died of spun bearings). It had more sets of tires than oil changes. That's how those 'sludge' issues happen...

-Charlie

Reactions: netman88

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
It doesn't take much to keep the inside of an engine clean - here is a Toyota engine from the late 90's with ~270k miles on it (my 4Runner):

That's 5k oil changes with whatever the quick-lube place put in it for the first ~250k miles and then a couple oil changes with Rotella T6.

Having worked at a Toyota dealer for a summer around 2000, I can tell you that there are TONS of Toyota owners that are horrible with maintenance. About once a week, a customer would come in with a seized motor around 60k miles - because they had literally done zero maintenance (no oil changes, no adding oil, nothing)... My wife's first car ('95 Tercel, bought new for her at 16) made it to ~150k miles with 3 or 4 oil changes (and yes, it died of spun bearings). It had more sets of tires than oil changes. That's how those 'sludge' issues happen...

-Charlie
Toyota Tercel! Holy Crap...I haven't thought about a Tercel in probably 4 decades.

Back in the early 80's, when I lived in NYC (Queens), I was dating a girl that had a Tercel. She hated driving in Manhattan, so whenever we would head into what we called "the city" I would drive.

One night I was parallel parking and dropped the right rear wheel into a pothole so deep the car was sitting on the frame. We got out and while we were staring at our predicament, three guys about my age came walking down the sidewalk. "Hey guys, want to give me a hand?"

My girlfriend got in the driver's seat while we lifted the rear end out of the pothole and pushed forward enough to get it on solid ground. They continued on their way and we locked up the car and went to dinner. :)

Reactions: oldskewel

·
Registered
840 Posts
The days of Mayor Koch! I was a decade ahead of you.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
The days of Mayor Koch! I was a decade ahead of you.
Actually, I go back to the days of Robert Wagner. I moved out in 83 and never looked back.

I can neither confirm nor deny the reports that I ran onto the field at Shea Stadium when the Miracle Mets won the NL Pennant in 1969.

Smog Test relate: Remember when just about every auto parts store carried "test pipes" so you could replace the cat to see if it was clogged? Yes, really, that's the only reason we used them. For testing purposes only. 😉

·
Registered
840 Posts
I was born in the last year of Impellittieri, moved out with parents in '73. But '69 was great year to be a Queens sports fan, with the Jets in Jan and Mets in Oct.

I swear, I never even looked at a test pipe! And I didn't inhale, either!! Both would be wrong!!!

41 - 58 of 58 Posts