Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted a couple of weeks ago regarding how to start an 03. I changed the oil with cheap Peak 10W30, pulled off spark-plugs and added some oil with a funnel, turned engine by hand for a very short time, put plugs back in, started the van. ran for about 10 minutes and it smoked like crazy (which I understand), started it for another 5 minutes & still still smokes, another 10 minutes & still smokes but slightly less, etc. Should I start worrying that a ring or something broke??? I was planning on changing the oil again after 100 miles or so. Any ideas?

Thanks,
ML

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
I wouldn't worry yet, you did all you could so doubt anything is broken. It probably just needs to run for awhile or driven under load.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wouldn't worry yet, you did all you could so doubt anything is broken. It probably just needs to run for awhile or driven under load.

OdyinNH, you were right. I took it out for a 15, or so, mile drive and it seems to have cleared up.

Thanks,
ML

·
Registered
539 Posts
Yes, if you poured oil into the cylinders it certainly takes a fair amount of high-speed driving in order to burn it all out (cross fingers that your catalytic converter and O2 sensors are OK).

I used to pour a mixture of oil and an additive called Hydrotex down the intake of my car 25 years ago when I put it into storage for the winter in an unheated warehouse, in order to keep the engine from siezing up (done at the advice of a friend who worked at a construction company where they did this to all of their equipment as well).

Man oh man did I smoke out the warehouse every spring when I first fired it up! As I recall, it took a few hours of driving before the exhaust cleared up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts