Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We own a 2002 LX Odyssey and after the first week it was at the dealer with a bent rim it was delivered to us with. One month later back to the shop with Vibrations at 60-70 MPH. Two weeks later, upgrade rims, tires and new transmission. When I picked up the car, I was warned that all 2002 Odessey's have a slight vibration of the steering wheel at 70mph. Is anyone else experiencing this?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After all 4 wheels & tires were replaced, and the shaking in the steering wheel did not stop, Honda said that the next step was to replace the transmission. Supposedly, a "faulty" transmission can cause shaking. So now, what's next? What else can cause the steeribg wheel to shake if it's not the wheels, tires or transmission?

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I have a 2002 LX and it does not vibrate at any speed. It has the Bridgestone Potenza RE92 tires on it. I have heard that the steel wheels have been a problem in the past, although the steel wheels on mine seem to be fine. Maybe you could get them to swap out to alloy wheels and see if that clears it up. Have they checked the front struts and rear shocks? Maybe one is defective and you're getting wheel bounce (no tire is perfectly balanced, so a bad shock absorber could allow the wheel to bounce at a certain speed even if it appears perfectly balanced on a machine). Are the tires out of round? To check, spin the tire and look for the tread to move in and out. Make sure to lift the tire while hot (just run), or you will see a dip where it was sitting on the ground, which would be normal. Even though you said all tires and wheels have been replaced, it could happen that you got another bad tire or wheel. Also, does it change when you hit the brakes? It's a long shot, but maybe it's a rotor. Another long shot it the bolt circle for the studs on one of the wheels is not concentric with the axle, although that is very unlikely. But when you have already exhausted the likely stuff, then you pretty much have to start going after the unlikely.

[This message has been edited by accordian (edited 01-26-2002).]

[This message has been edited by accordian (edited 01-26-2002).]

·
Registered
596 Posts
A lot of things cause vibration! A bent wheel (mounting) flange, damaged bearing, alignment being way out of adjustment, bent half shaft axle or a severly warped brake disk can all cause vibration as well as tires amd wheels. But to change the tranny? It sounds like your dealership's mechanics are taking pot shots trying to solve the problem rather than good old troubleshooting.
They need to break out the dial indicators and look at everything prior to just replacing stuff.

Fred

Almost forgot, I have an 02 EX that is smooth as silk from the driveway to way above the posted limits. No vibs here!

[This message has been edited by FW_in_OKC (edited 01-26-2002).]

·
Registered
596 Posts
I'm betting on wheel balance. Mine had a shimmy at highway speeds and a rebalance cleared it right up. Smooth ride!

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank all of you for taking the time to reply. A couple more questions: Do any of you feel even a slight vibrating of the steering wheel at a speeds of 70 mph or higher? What would you do if you were us? Please remember that the Dealership has had our Odyssey in the shop for approx 12 days, have replaced the wheels, tires & tranny, and according to them, the van is now "ok" (even though there is still a vibration in the steering wheel at higher speeds). Thanks again.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Just a thought.... I had Firestone tires on my Junkstar when I first got it that they couldn't seem to get balanced. After ruling out something might be bent, Ford replaced the whole set of tires 2 times and I still had a stubborn vibration.
In total frustration, I took my van to a tire shop and they found the problem the minute they put the first wheel on the balancer. It turned out that all 4 tires were out-of-round. I installed Michelins and that fixed it. I never had any vibrations after that.

Fred

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Penguin:
...When I picked up the car, I was warned that all 2002 Odessey's have a slight vibration of the steering wheel at 70mph. Is anyone else experiencing this? </font>
Not even a trace of vibration at 90 mph on our '02.

Except from the occupant of the passenger seat; her fingers grip the armrest and her teeth grind.

Maugham

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have not experienced any shimmy on my 2002 at 80 - 85. It is as smooth as silk.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Many recent vehicles are very sensitive to wheel and tire imbalance and out of roundness problems that and can not be found on conventional computer spin balancing equipment even of recent manufacture. A new type of balancer is on the market generally known as "road force balancers" that apply rolling pressure to the wheel/tire. Here is the web site of Hunter, one company offering this new type of balancer. Look on their web site for tire shops in your area who have purchased this new balancer. This may help find your problem. BTW. My '02 Ody is smooth as glass at all speeds. http://www.gsp9700.com/

------------------
'02 Ody EX-L(Mods: still considering options).
'96 Maxima SE(Mods: FSTB, RSTB, RSB, Winter Blizzaks on GXE rims).
'87 Honda mower(No mods).

·
Registered
596 Posts
Thanks, Aardvaark! I find that there is one of those little darlin's in the next town. I have a little low speed vibration and I'll bet they can locate it. The shop is Les Schwab Tire, which is the most service oriented outfit I have ever found. I have had them check wheel balance or front end alignment and, not finding any deficiency, they would not accept payment. Thanks again. I was not aware they had new equipment.

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

·
Registered
859 Posts
Your welcome Jerry.
I've never had any work done on this Hunter balancer and only became aware of it when Pat Goss on the MotorWeek TV program demo'ed it on one of his show segments last year and highly recommended the wheel force balancing method for tough to solve problems.
I will go to one of the several shops in my area now shown to use it next time though.
Let us know if it takes care of your low speed vibration problem.
-Mark

·
Registered
63 Posts
The dealer replaced the transmission????
I think the dealer wanted to rip off the manufacture on that call.
I had a vibe problem on wife's toyota that turned out to be warped disk's.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hey Penguin;
Just tell the dealer you want him to replace the front discs. They are cheap enough to do. That is if he dosn't mind looking stupid for replacing a transmission.
I just can't get over that. I suppose it's posible.
You should have asked him if you can have the old part (xmission) back for a spare.
Although a friend of mine had a Cobra that had a vibe problem at ~70mph... but he noticed it did it at 2k rpm even in neutral.
Now I would think THAT might have been the engine or trainee, but it's still a mistery.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Here is an interesting one. A coworker who has a 00 EX said that he had developed a nasty vibration over the weekend. I questioned him about whether he had possibly damaged something while driving and he said that it was OK on Friday on the way home and he didn't go anywhere over the weekend except to the parts store for oil and a filter and that he hadn't hit anything.
Over lunch we got to talking about our Ody's and he asked me where I had picked up my license plate holder. From there the conversation sort of migrated to accessories and telling each other what we had done to our vans.
All of a sudden, there it was.
From out of his pocket he produced the heaviest chrome plated steel valve cap that I had ever seen. I asked him where he got them and he said that he had picked up 5 of them when he went to get his oil and filter and put them on in the parking lot of the store. He had the 5th one for his spare??????? (Oh well, to each his own, I guess.)
I bet him a hundred bucks that I could fix his vibration problem in less than a minute. You should have seen his face when it dawned on him that he had caused the vibration problem himself.

Fred

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by FW_in_OKC:
...I bet him a hundred bucks that I could fix his vibration problem in less than a minute. You should have seen his face when it dawned on him that he had caused the vibration problem himself.

Fred
</font>
Way to go Fred!

What did you do with the hundred, go buy more Ody accessories
?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
We dropped the van off again yesterday. We drove it with the head machanic in the van and he was astonished to see/feel the vibration. Last time had gave it back to us, it was not doing this. He believes it is the front end. When we got out of the van, he did a rough measurement of the distance between the wheel and the mudguard. The measurement was off by a 1/2 in between the left and right front. They also didn't tell him the original problem started with a bent rim when we picked up the van. It looks like the front end is definately out of line, but how did it happen? Is this fixable, or am I going to have a reoccuring front end problems? Could it have happen during delivery of the car to the dealer, or when the dealer was taking it off the car carrier? Just wanted to get an idea from other owners.

·
Registered
129 Posts
If this doesn't get fixed during this visit, I'd look into a pursuing a lemon law case.

Your car has been through enough surgery already!

Good luck!

------------------
Nelson
2001 Odyssey LX
2001 Civic EX Sedan
1990 Mustang LX 5.0 Coupe
http://fiveoh.homestead.com/main.html

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Let's see: It was delivered with a bent rim, new wheels and tires didn't fix it, and now they notice one front wheel sits 1/2" farther back than the other. Is the wheel that's farther back on the same side as the bent wheel? Sounds very much like damaged in transit. Something's bent. If its a suspension component that can be changed, let them change it. If it's bent at the suspension mounting points and those points are on the sub-frame, let them change out the sub-frame. If anything on the unibody is bent, the only solution I would agree to is replacement of the vehicle.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts