Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I purchased my 2002 EX-L I signed a document saying that snow chains are NOT to be used. The salesman mentioned "spider chains". Does anyone know what I need and where to buy these "spider chains". Thanks.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
No, I haven't. I last tried locating some other brands a year or two ago and was unsuccessful, but haven't tried since then.

Notice that these are really for occasionaly and/or emergency use. Don't put them on and leave them on. I got the impression they wanted you to wait until you were stuck, then snap them on to get yourself out of it.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I had the spiders on my Chrysler Town and Country. I needed them because the clearance between the front struts, and the tire was non existing. They worked well, and went on in a snap, but they are expensive.

In looking at my new 2002 Ody, there seems to be enough space between the struts, and the tire. I am wondering if they are saying not to use chains, but there seems to be enough clearance to use the cable type tire chains that do not flap around as much, and requires less clearance to use. I will ask my dealer the next time I talk to them. My Chrysler dealer actually carried the spiders in their parts department because of the tight clearance problem.

Hope that this helps.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info. I too will check with my dealer's service dept. re: use of cables. I will need something to use when the chain controls are in effect in the Sierras (Hwy 50 and 80 mostly). Gotta get to the slopes this winter!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts