Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fresh snow (yesterday) on the Sierra!!! That is irresistable, we'll be going up the mountains for our holiday next month.
YeeeHAaa!!!

I have never seen or touched a snow chain before - (Spent all my life in the Lone Star State of Texas). So I need advice :

1.) Where to get an appropriate Snow-Cable-Chains for the '99 Ody?? Dealer or stores like Kragen, AutoZone or ...?? HOw much do they cost (good ones and the average ones)
2.) How difficult to mount 'em??
3.) Do I chain all 4 wheels or just the front wheels?

------------------

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
and any other tips that I should have in mind? Thanks in advance.

------------------

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by abyez:
Fresh snow (yesterday) on the Sierra!!! That is irresistable, we'll be going up the mountains for our holiday next month.
YeeeHAaa!!!

I have never seen or touched a snow chain before - (Spent all my life in the Lone Star State of Texas). So I need advice :

1.) Where to get an appropriate Snow-Cable-Chains for the '99 Ody?? Dealer or stores like Kragen, AutoZone or ...?? HOw much do they cost (good ones and the average ones)
2.) How difficult to mount 'em??
3.) Do I chain all 4 wheels or just the front wheels?
</font>
Abyez,
Sounds like a fun trip. I have a few answers to your questions:
1)Your local auto parts shop is a good choice. That's where I got mine for the Civic.
2)It's an easy install.
3)FWD-chain the fronts RWD-chain the rears
So on the ODy,only the fronts.

Have a fun and safe trip !

------------------
-ROB-
'01 GG LX "Lagreat"(with stuff,just S-T-U-F-F)

http://community.webshots.com/album/18601743AkjQIJiKqK

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
I remember when I picked up my ody that the salesman specifically said not to use chains on the ody, only cables. Double check the manual to see if that's the case. Other than that, what rob said....

------------------
-SJ (former username: shinjohn)
'01 DEP EX, and I'm workin' on it! (slowly)

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Hachiroku & shindog
I'll check em out at the nearest auto-stores.

Now, Are there anymore tips that would really help in Snow-chain mounting?? or other ideas..?

------------------

·
Registered
39 Posts
The fastest snow chain alternative and for low clearence use is :spider-spikes. They are pricey but very quick to put on and remove and is legal in most states.

See info at their site:
<URL> <A HREF="http://www.spikes-spider.com/generalInfo.html</URL>" TARGET=_blank>http://www.spikes-spider.com/generalInfo.html</URL></A>

·
Registered
10 Posts
Years ago, a co-worker had an interesting way to quickly install chains when his aged Toyota needed them. He carried a pair of wheels/tires with chains on them in his roof rack. Claimed he could jack up the car, take "flatland" wheels/tires off, and install the traction units quicker and stay dryer than the old reach around to the inside of the wheel business.

Since that time, he has become a dyed-in-the-wool GM driver, and I don't think he uses the same technique with his Corvette.

One tip, either way you go -- a waterproof durable drop cloth, say at least 4 ft by 6 ft, to be kept in a gallon-size ziplock bag, will keep you dryer, and the inside of your Ody dryer as well.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 10/6Odyssey:
http://www.tirechain.com/CHAINHELPER.HTM

What'd you ever decide?? The snow's looking better, eh?
</font>
Yeah ,actually, I am contemplating about buying but the price may be a big factor. As I do not plan on visiting the snow often - so shelling another $15+shipment may seem to be an unnecessary expense. There are 2 types of these ramps actually. Here is the other one that I would prefer more.

http://www.hsionline.com/products/ecbuilder2/item2802.htm]

Let me know which you think is better.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Moleman:
Years ago, a co-worker had an interesting way to quickly install chains when his aged Toyota needed them. He carried a pair of wheels/tires with chains on them in his roof rack. Claimed he could jack up the car, take "flatland" wheels/tires off, and install the traction units quicker and stay dryer than the old reach around to the inside of the wheel business.

One tip, either way you go -- a waterproof durable drop cloth, say at least 4 ft by 6 ft, to be kept in a gallon-size ziplock bag, will keep you dryer, and the inside of your Ody dryer as well.
</font>
Thanks Moleman

------------------

[This message has been edited by abyez (edited 12-03-2001).]

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I bought a pair of chains from Wal-Mart at $25 hehehe... dont believe other stores can beat that price eh
The chains from Wal-Mart come in a sturdy plastic box .... definitely a plus

Before Wal-Mart, I bought a pair of chains from Kragen for $34 and it came wrapped in a cloth bag
Not easy to take chains out and even more difficult to rest the chains back into the DAMNED
bag.

NOTE: In case anyone need more info...
(for P215/65R16 tires) PEERLESS Winter Trac Part# 0175355

------------------

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Honda specifies SAE Class "S" cable-type traction devices only for the Odyssey, because of limited tire clearance.

Have your chains whacked your suspension or body yet?

·
Registered
616 Posts
We did our first snow trip last season. I was surprised how well our 2000 LX did without the traction control.

We drove in heavy snow fall, icy, and slush rode conditions. Being a California these are unusual rode conditions (by the way what is it like to drive in rain :) ).

It was a last minute trip so finding and getting chains required some calling around.

I found a set of open boxed wire chains at PepBoys in a ransacked tire chain display. The SAE "S" classified chains where 'SHUR GRIP' by 'SCC' model 'SZ335', 0-44182-00373-2. I was sticker shocked at the $80 price.

In the past I had always used the heavy chain tire chains, so I was confident that putting on these chains would not be a problem. The main thing that surprised me on installing these chains is the lack of room to work (4X4 type vehicles and trucks have all kinds of room in the wheel wells and under neither). Look at your van clearance and imagine just 3.5" of snow. Slide a 4X4 post up against your tire to see the room you have left to work in.

I already knew the tricks with tire chains to NEVER allow any part of the chains to be loose; this is sure fire way to damage some part of the vehicle. But I also have the following insights.
- One, the LX the wheel covers extend out almost past the tire, so the chains will rub on them and scratch them up. I will either remove them on the next trip or find some kind of protector padding that can be put in between the covers and chains.
- Two, there is an inside and outside to the wire chains, and the chains I have can easily be put on either way. In the bad rode side weather conditions I missed the inside and outside markings and got them on the worry way. This did not change the performance of the chains, but a fastening connector faced into the tire instead of out and scatched up the wheel cover.
- Three, my chains rely on outside rubber tensioners. Connect all the top half of tire tensioner connections and then use your body weight to push down to connect the lower half.
- Four, have gloves to work on the chain. Your ski gloves will work but you may not want to ski with them after all the rode muck gets on them. Also working in the wheel wells and under car your coat sleeves and pant knees will get road muck on them.
- Five, clean and dry and LUBE your chains when you are done. I did the clean and drying of my chains but I did not put any rust inhibitor on them. When I noticed some rust forming I immediately lubed them. My rust inhibitor of choice is WD40.

I would recommend looking foolish and install your tire chains in your home driveway before doing it in the snow.

Have a Great Trip
BrianB

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BrianB:
I already knew the tricks with tire chains to NEVER allow any part of the chains to be loose; this is sure fire way to damage some part of the vehicle. But I also have the following insights.
- One, the LX the wheel covers extend out almost past the tire, so the chains will rub on them and scratch them up. I will either remove them on the next trip or find some kind of protector padding that can be put in between the covers and chains.
- Two, there is an inside and outside to the wire chains, and the chains I have can easily be put on either way. In the bad rode side weather conditions I missed the inside and outside markings and got them on the worry way. This did not change the performance of the chains, but a fastening connector faced into the tire instead of out and scatched up the wheel cover.
- Three, my chains rely on outside rubber tensioners. Connect all the top half of tire tensioner connections and then use your body weight to push down to connect the lower half.
- Four, have gloves to work on the chain. Your ski gloves will work but you may not want to ski with them after all the rode muck gets on them. Also working in the wheel wells and under car your coat sleeves and pant knees will get road muck on them.
- Five, clean and dry and LUBE your chains when you are done. I did the clean and drying of my chains but I did not put any rust inhibitor on them. When I noticed some rust forming I immediately lubed them. My rust inhibitor of choice is WD40.

I would recommend looking foolish and install your tire chains in your home driveway before doing it in the snow.

Have a Great Trip
BrianB
</font>
Thank you Sir. That was very useful and informative.

------------------

[This message has been edited by abyez (edited 12-18-2001).]

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Brian, thanks for the first hand report on cable tire chains! BTW, I assume that you put the chains only on the front wheels.

Did you have any problems with the rear end coming around, while cornering or while coming to a stop?

·
Registered
616 Posts
Yes I only chained the front wheels. I never got any feeling that the back end was loose when stopping, but there was not much icy roads on the return trip and I favor the low gears instead of the brakes on the downhill.

·
Registered
4 Posts
:cool: Just so you know -- if you have room to traction-up all four wheels it is the safest way to go! Takes a little longer and costs a little more BUT what's your life and those of your loved ones worth?? Best place to get snowtraction on the west coast is --

http://www.snowtraction.com

Can be found by using just "keyword" snowtraction!
SNOWCHAINS101 spoken and TAUGHT!
SNOW CHAINS, SNOW CABLES, AND TIRE CHAINS to fit most vehicles in stock year round.

Every set fitted to YOUR tires by the Highwayman --

support the "mission"

http://hometown.aol.com/snowtraction/myhomepage/index.html

·
Registered
568 Posts
I have a pair of old cable type chain. I only used once for my old Villager which had 205/75R-15 tires on it. Box is labeled with 2412 CM and whole bunch of tire size. But my 01 Ody 215/65R-16 is not listed. I compare both 205/75R-15 and 215/65R-16 diameter is very close. Could I use it? Not that I need to use snowchain in So Calif 90+F weather now. Just curious if I could use my old ones in case I decide to go up to the mounatins in the winter?
Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
ANY snowtraction device being contemplated should be tried on in the comfort of your driveway or garage to answer question of "can I use it?" I have had some fits that were so "close" , most notably on BEEMR sport sedans and wagons that we had to actually drive up and down street w them on to be sure that they were'nt going to hit on frame or suspension:cool:

·
Registered
568 Posts
highwayman said:
ANY snowtraction device being contemplated should be tried on in the comfort of your driveway or garage to answer question of "can I use it?" I have had some fits that were so "close" , most notably on BEEMR sport sedans and wagons that we had to actually drive up and down street w them on to be sure that they were'nt going to hit on frame or suspension:cool:
Ody is not a BMW sports sedan, there are lots of clearance in the wheel weel for OEM tires. :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
The point I was trying to make is that you should NEVER assume that chains- cables will fit until you have tried them on! UNLESS, of course you want to find out the HARD way! [ in the middle of a raging blizzard, ect]

1 - 20 of 22 Posts