Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, guys, I am just posting this up, hoping to save someone else from making the same $36,000 mistake we made 3 months ago.

Had an SUV, wanted something easier to get in and out of with the little kids, better MPG was a goal too, so we traded it in and got the Oddy.

Overall, we like the van, with the exception of a couple of shoddy interior pieces which don't seem quite up to par with Honda, and our transmission is a little bit wacky and slams into gear occasionally, which I need to have the dealer look at.

But, then it snowed. I'm not a happy camper now. We had done exhaustive research online before buying the van, and talked to a few people we knew who had Oddys and loved them, and it seemed as though most people were pretty pleased with the winter traction, especially with snow tires. Well, I am not.

I mounted a brand new set of Bridgestone Blizzak WS70 snows on the OEM wheels 2 weeks ago..........we had our first snow of the season the next day, a whopping 0.5 inches of slippery stuff, just enough for me to take the van out and get a taste for how it handles.

IT SUCKS. Plain and simple. I've had 8 or 9 front wheel drive cars in my lifetime (mostly VW Jettas), living in Northern Michigan, and with a set of snow tires, all of them have been nearly un-stoppable. The Odyssey has nowhere near that kind of traction. It feels as though there is not enough weight over the drive-axle to get enough traction, and way too much weight out back that the front wheels are struggling to drag up to speed......it certainly TRYS hard enough, hunting left-right-left and the TRAC engages, trying to limit wheelspin and find some traction to pull the van.......but, the end result in completley unimpressive. I can hardly wait to see how it performs in 6-8-12 inches of snow.

As a comparison, I went back home and grabbed my truck.........2011 F250 Crew Cab 4WD with stock Michelin ATX LT2 tires. I left it in 2WD with the rear differential lock "open"........my truck (without any ballast in the back) in 2WD, with all-season tires will pull off the line *almost* as well as the Oddy will WITH snow tires!!

We live out in the boonies, on a rural road that gets plowed at 4pm the day AFTER it snows. My wife has to go get our daughter from school, and I don't want her stuck, sliding off the road, stuck in a snow drift, etc.

I had to make a decision. I could trade the van in, and take a $6,000 hit on it (driven it 3,800 miles, made 3 payments, OUCH)......or buy something 4WD for her to drive through the winter. So I did. I bought her a '97 Toyota Land Cruiser, 4WD, lots of weight, invested ANOTHER grand into a set of Blizzaks for it.......so she's safe, I don't have to worry about her getting stuck or stranded. In the spring, I can sell the Cruiser if I want to, or maybe we'll keep it and use the Odyssey just for summertime use (gee, that sounds expensive to have a brand new van sitting in the garage all winter, maybe I'll drive it to the 12 month mark and trade it in, I don't know).........

In hindsight, I would have NEVER bought the Oddy if I would have known it had this poor of traction in the snow. For those of you in mild climates, it is undoubtably a great vehicle, and even in light snow, for people that live in the city, etc etc. But, out in the boonies on a country road with 6-12 inches of snow, drifting, etc, I don't see this as a vehicle I want to own.

In doing some additional research, the Oddy has a very even weight distribution, 53/47 or something like that........Caravans are more like 57/43,......I just looked up my old Jetta, and it was roughly 60/40....apparently that makes a MUCH bigger difference than I had thought.

Hey, anyone want to buy a set of Blizzaks with about 150 miles on them that fit an '11 Odyssey? LOL:)

·
Registered
63 Posts
I just bought a set of the same blizzaks for my Odyssey. These tires are horrible compared to my last set of snow tires. I had a set of Hankook I-pike tires that put this supposed best on the market snow tires to shame. Dry traction leaves much to be desired with the blizzaks ws70! The tires sidewalls are way to soft so tracking through turns requires more and more input.The tread allows for too much squirm I know a little is to he expected but this is far to much. I'm going back to the tire shop and getting rid of these poor excuse for snow/winter tires for tires that I know are good.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The WS70s are the most modern Blizzak model out there for passenger cars. We have run them on a Volvo XC70 wagon, BMW 328iX, and 2 Jettas. They are not great in the dry (lots of squirm), but they are great in the snow and ice.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I went with the Michelin X-Ice 2, but haven't had a chance to test them out yet...no snow!

Did you guys reconnect your TPMS or left them off?

:p

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My snows are mounted on my OEM wheels, I bought some nice aftermarket wheels and had the OEM tires put on those (without TPMS)

·
Registered
58 Posts
My first thought is to ignore this first impression. Though you seem to be experienced so I hope I don't insult, the first snow of such a small amount might be deceiving. It might have beem warm, kinda slush and messy etc? I find snow like that just crappy no matter what. I'm into my 3rd Subaru that sucked when we had our first snow the other day. Every time I drive in messy stuff like that I'm all over the place.

Odyssey stayed parked that day, but the WS70s went on this week. I expect big things from them so I hope to have a better first impression than you! So many raved about them on this board that I paid the price for my first Blizzaks.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My initial impression was that it was just very icy out........then I took the truck out, for comparison.......and based on the way the truck handled, I was not impressed;)

·
Registered
884 Posts
I just purchased a new 2011 EXL. It's my fourth going back to 2002. I live in Newfoundland, Canada, and trust me. I know something about driving these puppies in snow. The first thing you have to accept is that it's not an SUV or an all wheel drive Toyota Sienna. There are limitations. That said. The difference between a cheap snow tier and a damn good snow tire is the difference between getting there and staying at home. I bought a pair of Michelin Lattitude something or others for my last one that were truly excellent. I have a set of Michelin X Ice 11's on order for the new one and I'm praying for teh same kind of performance. I'm relying on Consumer Reports in making that decision. Don't give up.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had opposite results than the OP this past week. It snowed about 3 inches, but the first inch came down as sleet and quickly iced the roads up pretty good. So ice and snow on top and the van went through it remarkably well. I have a set of General Altimax Arctic tires (second set, first was on a 09) that I think really do a nice job in the snow/ice.

It's funny the OP didn't mention anything about the ground clearence, thats the thing that worries me.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hi Robie,
Could you please give us an "Odyssey" review on your Michelin X Ice 11's when you get and use them for a bit?
Thanks

·
Registered
786 Posts
Personally, I am a lot more bothered by the ground clearance in my 3rd gen. Its worse than many sedans and Honda actually made the 2011 even lower. Wait until you get a few more inches, and the entire lower part of the grill will have to plow its way through.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Lower and wider equals better fuel mileage. Look at the new Focus, anything to squeak out a few more MPG's.

·
Registered
63 Posts
So its 26 degrees here in Chicago today and my wife reported a rear end slide with her Odyssey today! No rain, no sleet, no snow, maybe a morning frost but that'd be about it. These Blizzak WS70 ARE GARBAGE! I will not trust the lives and safety of my family with these tires. I may look into the General Artimax but if not I'm going back to the Hankook i-pike this is ridiculous! Yes, my wife knows how to drive. She is an avid autox'r and hpde enthusiasts as am I.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I thought the van did well on our first slushy road a couple weeks ago. I also put on Michelin X Ice II. I was still driving the speed limit of 80km/h and it never pulled unpredictably. The van felt comfterble to drive. I was impressed.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Anybody here left the oem tires to see how it handles the snow? I mean its suppose to be all season:)?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Will report after the next snow fall in western New England. Waiting for the van now and hoping we don't get another snow until late December or later..

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I called Tire Rack, asked them for the snow tire with the best possible snow and ice grip, even if it required getting something a bit narrower (cant do it, won't meet the load spec of the van), regardless of dry weather performance. They sold me the Blizzak WS70. Based on my previous luck with this tire, it is "at the top of the heap", short of running studs, which is illegal in Michigan.

Yes, ground clearance is definitely going to be an issue.......but with the amount of traction the van had in 0.5 inches of snow, I don't even want to take it out in 6-7 inches when the belly starts to rub on the snow.......

I had opposite results than the OP this past week. It snowed about 3 inches, but the first inch came down as sleet and quickly iced the roads up pretty good. So ice and snow on top and the van went through it remarkably well. I have a set of General Altimax Arctic tires (second set, first was on a 09) that I think really do a nice job in the snow/ice.

It's funny the OP didn't mention anything about the ground clearence, thats the thing that worries me.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Will report after the next snow fall in western New England. Waiting for the van now and hoping we don't get another snow until late December or later..
I'll make you a great deal on an EXL with RSE and less than 4000 miles, LOL:)

1 - 20 of 82 Posts