Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How does the 2001 Odyssey perform in snow conditions? We live in Denver and are considering purchasing a 2002 model but are torn between it and an AWD SUV. Also, does the Odyssey have traction control? What exactly does "traction control" do?

Thanks!

·
Registered
114 Posts
With the OEM Michelins and the TCS, it does as well as our CRV. Provided you don't get into situations where you need to go up a steep hill in 6" of snow.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Traction control works at low speeds, up to 18 MPH, I believe. Basically it helps you get started in slippery conditions, by applying the brake on a spinning tire, thereby transfering the power to the other side.

·
Registered
254 Posts
a little loose with the supplied firestones going up hills (no/tcs 200lx). however, with my artic alpins, it can go anywhere.

------------------
2000 lx,fern grey,remote starter, single disc cd player,roof rack with cross rails, bra, hidden hitch,csa 5 spoke alloy wheels,15% film over oem privacy glass and artic alpine tires on the oem steel wheels.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Odyssey is pretty fair in snow with TCS and stock Michelins. But for Colorado, I'd go with four separate snow tires. Makes it much more stable. Only shortcoming I can see is low ground clearance could cause you a problem going through deep stuff. I live in Connecticut and we had a rough winter by New England standards, but it does compare to Colorado. If you're gonna go through the mountains alot, I'd look into a good set of tire chains.

·
Registered
10 Posts
oops. CT winters don't compare to CO winters.
My Ody did fine in CT. but would hesitate to take through Vale Pass in snow storm.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Living in NE Ohio we get a fair amount of snow and we haven't had a problem. It's much better then the Explorer I used to drive.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Living in Canada you'd imagine we get a lot. But where I live, not really that much except for one or two. Buffalo, NY gets more snow than we do. Anyway, my experience (no TCS) is if you put on 4 good snow tires, you'll be fine. Can you imagine if I had TCS like the Ody? The tires I use are Hakkapelita 1. They have aggressive treads & are pretty good on snow/snow packed roads but they will slip on solid/black ice. I guess any tire would.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts