Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to get some snow tires i think? I was slipping a bit today in our "new" 2008 Odyssey and it was not fun. The mich tires on it are at 50% according to the dealer.
This is our first minivan- we have had suburus in the past and so i am not quite sure what to expect this winter here in Upstate, NY in a van.
So I am looking at the Blizzak WS70s and the Masterkraft glacier grip 2 studded or maybe no studs..not sure if studs are overboard?
Anyone have these or use these in the NE region of the US? or recommend something else?
The use of the van is transporting kiddos around town, maybe a few ski trips in the ADKs and some thruway driving across NY once and a while. I just want to feel more control driving.

Thanks!

·
Registered
884 Posts
I am using Michelin xice 11s on my fourth Odyssey. Theres a thread in the 2011 -2012 forum where you can follow some good discussion. It's as good as it gets in my personal opinion. However I've also owned an all wheel drive Subaru. You will never get comparable performance from an Odyssey or any other front wheel drive vehicle as you will get with an all wheel drive vehicle.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Try searching this thread -under “Accessory Forums” instead of starting new thread under “Generation Fourm-2005-2010” You might find your answer quicker there than waiting for responses to your initial post here.

Wheels, Tires, and Suspension

(12 Viewing)
Check here for info on anything from all season radials to 20" wheel/tire packages.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I am using Michelin xice 11s on my fourth Odyssey. Theres a thread in the 2011 -2012 forum where you can follow some good discussion. It's as good as it gets in my personal opinion. However I've also owned an all wheel drive Subaru. You will never get comparable performance from an Odyssey or any other front wheel drive vehicle as you will get with an all wheel drive vehicle.
Performance advantage of all-wheel drive vehicles in the snow is a myth. Haven't you seen news footage of SUV's sliding down the hill sideways on snowy streets? How is that AWD helping you that situation? How about a panic stop? Is AWD better at stopping than any other vehicles out there when everyone has 4 wheel brakes? What about turning? Last time I checked, everyone has a steering wheel. The only advantage AWD vehicles have over non AWD is that it will help you get going instead of getting stuck in a parking with 3 inches of snow on the ground. The only thing that makes any real difference is snow tires. It provides traction where any other ordinary tires (like all seasons) lose traction. Ever heard of "white knuckle driving"? It's not because you can't get out of a parking lot that has 3 inches of snow on the ground. It's because you can't stop in time at a red light or turning your steering wheel has no affect on the direction of your vehicle. AWD doesn't help you one bit in either one of these situations.

I've had my Ody for 6 years now and it out performs any AWD vehicles wearing all season radials any day of the week and twice on Sundays. I've driven around Hummers stuck sideways on some steep streets. It's kinda comical the look on the faces of those SUV drivers when I just drive around them in a MINIVAN!

Don't get me wrong. I was once duped by all those car commercials about AWD being superior in the snow. I even had a Volvo XC90 AWD with all seasons radials that was nowhere as good as my Ody in the snow. I don't know how many times I slid down some hilly street with my XC90 and the ABS and stability control going crazy and it wouldn't stop until I was way into the intersection. That's what I call white knuckle driving.

Get the WS70. I have the WS60 and they are outstanding in the snow and ice. I can only guess that the newer WS70 would be as good or better than the WS60. In any case, any snow specific tires would be way better than any all season radials.

·
Registered
884 Posts
"Performance" has to include getting started. I agree that an AWD "without snowtires" will be outperformed by an Odyssey "with snowtires". I'd even go so far as to say that even when both have snowtires installed, the performance difference isn't significant once they are both in motion. However you have to get moving first.

I've been fortunate to always have an SUV or an AWD (currently a Hyundai Sante Fe) along with an Odyssey. But there are days when the Odyssey will not haul itself out of the driveway until the roads have been ploughed. The AWD, with four snowtires, is always ready to go and will not be stopped by 18 inces of new snow.

However if I had to live with one vehicle it would be the Odyssey and I'd wait for the plough if need be.

·
Registered
120 Posts
"Performance" has to include getting started. I agree that an AWD "without snowtires" will be outperformed by an Odyssey "with snowtires". I'd even go so far as to say that even when both have snowtires installed, the performance difference isn't significant once they are both in motion. However you have to get moving first.

I've been fortunate to always have an SUV or an AWD (currently a Hyundai Sante Fe) along with an Odyssey. But there are days when the Odyssey will not haul itself out of the driveway until the roads have been ploughed. The AWD, with four snowtires, is always ready to go and will not be stopped by 18 inces of new snow.

However if I had to live with one vehicle it would be the Odyssey and I'd wait for the plough if need be.
You are absolutely right. Most people that get AWD vehicle, be it an AWD sedan or a SUV, are overconfident that they will be just fine in the snow when their vehicles are equipped with all season radials. Those are the ones that are in the ditch on the side of the road because they couldn't stop in time or couldn't negotiate a curve in the road. With that said, an AWD WITH snow tires are without question the best formula for winter driving. Not only will you not get stuck even in 18 inches of snow, but will be able to stop and turn as well. I do have to say that my Odyssey with the Blizzak snow tires, I have yet to get stuck in deep snow. I've driven around in 10 inches of snow without problems. The front bumper literally had to plow through the snow because the snow depth was higher than the clearance of the Ody. But even then, I never got stuck and was always able to stop and turn with confidence.

·
Registered
8 Posts
We've been driving an '03 Ody since new in Massachusetts and are raving fans of the Toyo Observe line of snow tires. They are the best all-around snow tire when you consider longevity and noise and they simply work excellent. There are other good tires, for sure, such as the Michelin Ice and the Blizzaks. Michelins are pricey, Blizzaks wear out prematurely. The Mastercrafts are ok, but a little crude...but if you're at Town Fair Tire, get the Toyos. Toyo snows have crushed walnut shells in the compound, which gives them excellent bite on ice w/o studs (you don't want studs). Plus, the walnut acts like rebar in the compound, holding it together longer. Watch out for excessively soft compounds. This makes new snows work great in the cold, but once they are over 1/2 worn, they're not nearly as effective. I also recommend that you invest in a second set of wheels; preferrably steel. It is a real PITA to have to get them mounted and back every year. W/wheels, you can swap back and forth w/relative ease and $ave the tires for when it is messy. If it looks like no snow for a month, I pop the summer michelins back on. Lastly, I can vouch that the Ody w/4 good snows on it is very, very good in crappy weather. The traction control/ABS helps, too. I really appreciate AWD vehicles, but never felt like I needed one, because of my snow tire strategy, even w/my long, uphill driveway. I run them on my Accord, too

·
Registered
249 Posts
Performance advantage of all-wheel drive vehicles in the snow is a myth. Haven't you seen news footage of SUV's sliding down the hill sideways on snowy streets? How is that AWD helping you that situation? How about a panic stop? Is AWD better at stopping than any other vehicles out there when everyone has 4 wheel brakes? What about turning? Last time I checked, everyone has a steering wheel. The only advantage AWD vehicles have over non AWD is that it will help you get going instead of getting stuck in a parking with 3 inches of snow on the ground. The only thing that makes any real difference is snow tires. It provides traction where any other ordinary tires (like all seasons) lose traction. Ever heard of "white knuckle driving"? It's not because you can't get out of a parking lot that has 3 inches of snow on the ground. It's because you can't stop in time at a red light or turning your steering wheel has no affect on the direction of your vehicle. AWD doesn't help you one bit in either one of these situations.

I've had my Ody for 6 years now and it out performs any AWD vehicles wearing all season radials any day of the week and twice on Sundays. I've driven around Hummers stuck sideways on some steep streets. It's kinda comical the look on the faces of those SUV drivers when I just drive around them in a MINIVAN!

Don't get me wrong. I was once duped by all those car commercials about AWD being superior in the snow. I even had a Volvo XC90 AWD with all seasons radials that was nowhere as good as my Ody in the snow. I don't know how many times I slid down some hilly street with my XC90 and the ABS and stability control going crazy and it wouldn't stop until I was way into the intersection. That's what I call white knuckle driving.

Get the WS70. I have the WS60 and they are outstanding in the snow and ice. I can only guess that the newer WS70 would be as good or better than the WS60. In any case, any snow specific tires would be way better than any all season radials.
Can't agree more. I'm a long-time Saab driver (temporarily without one at the moment) and am the founder of our local Saab owners club. Saab is known for its FWD pioneering and its handling prowess in the snow. Most of our members run good Nokians, Gislaveds, X-Ice, Blizzaks, Continentals etc through the winter and can easily out-perform most AWD/4WD vehicles out there even those with winter tires. Of course clearance is an issue if we get a big dump of snow (rarely).

Bottomline ....... equip your FWD (or RWD) vehicles with good winter tires best suited to your local geography and winter conditions, learn to drive proactively and defensively on ice & snow, know your vehicle's characteristics and limitations, and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm going to go ahead and disagree with everybody on the AWD issue. I drove an Outback for 5 years before getting my Ody and there's no question it is superior in snow. I had the TripleTred all seasons on it, never got stuck, never had an accident. There is no way for snow tires on a minivan to make up the difference. Anybody that says AWD doesn't make a difference unless you're in 3 inches in a parking lot has never owned a good AWD vehicle with a limited slip. With all due respect a Volvo AWD can't really compare to an Outback.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Sitting here watching the US Army All American Bowl and thought I'd share a winter driving story. In 2004 we were spring skiing on the opposite side of the island and were facing a 425 mile drive home. A late season snow storm was forecast and I made the stupid decision to try and get to the next town, a distance of about 160 miles,before dark and ahead of the storm...I thought. I was driving our 2002 Ody LX with my wife and 2year old daughter and my decision to try and beat the storm endangered all our lives. There are long sections of this road with no town or service stations. The storm tracked further east than anticipated and we got in trouble about 70 miles from our destination. At the height of it I was driving with the window open to try and get some perspective on the location of the side of the road. We were ploughing through drifts that sent that much snow up over the windshield that the wipers would stop and I'd have to get out and clear it. Several times i got out and walked ahead just to make sure the roadway was still under us.We made it obviously. 6 hours to drive the last 70 miles. I paid a guy with an payload to notch my brother in laws driveway to get off the street for the night. In the morning the Ody could not be seen. Total snowfall 102 CMOS which translates into about 47 inches with 80 know winds to round it out. The Ody got us thorough. I hope I never do anything as stupid again.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I'm going to go ahead and disagree with everybody on the AWD issue. I drove an Outback for 5 years before getting my Ody and there's no question it is superior in snow. I had the TripleTred all seasons on it, never got stuck, never had an accident. There is no way for snow tires on a minivan to make up the difference. Anybody that says AWD doesn't make a difference unless you're in 3 inches in a parking lot has never owned a good AWD vehicle with a limited slip. With all due respect a Volvo AWD can't really compare to an Outback.
I'll give you partial credit. The Goodyear TripleTred is probably the better of any all-seasons on the snow. With that said, AWD does nothing for you when it comes to braking/stopping or cornering. Only tires that provide traction in the snow will help. AWD will help to get going over FWD but that's where the advantage ends. TripleTred is better than regular all-seasons but still doesn't compare to a true snow tire.

By the way, not only did I have the Volvo XC90, I've also had an Audi A4 Quattro with some stock all seasons and I would say the Audi's AWD system is as good if not better than the Subaru. The Volvo also has a very sophisticated AWD system and was equipped with "winter" mode. Still, they were no match against my Ody with Blizzak snow tires. The A4 and the Volvo will get up and go alright but was scary when I had to stop or corner. And there are a lot of hills in the Seattle area. The Audi or the Subaru may out accelerate my Ody but what scares me is not being able to stop in time or negotiate that turn. My Ody with the Blizzaks, I always stopped and cornered with confidence. I often have to look at my mirrors to see if the guy behind me is going to stop in time or just plow into me. When it's snowing, I'm not trying to win some drag race. I'm just trying to avoid getting into an accident's or sliding off the road into a ditch. Neither of these events would be much fun in itself but a total nightmare with 2 screaming kids in the back seat.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I always run with snows for the winter, if you are in NYC, then I would say don't bother, you can not get out of the parking spaces after the snows to worry. I had a set of WS50 and that lasted 4 seasons, after they went, I had a new set of Cooper CS4 tires on and tried running the Ody for one season, they were OK but not the same kind of confidence with the snows on. After that went and bought a new set of WS60s, this is what I am running right now. I also have a set of the WS60s for the wife's CRV, this way I don't have to worry about her commutes.

I had a JEEP (had to get it out of my system) and I have to say, driving it gave me a false sense of what I could do in the snow. The only real advantage is getting started and moving, but if you drive too fast for the conditions, having 4 wheel drive engaged or not, you will not stop any better than any other vehicle. I'm not surprised that if it is snowing, the only vehicles in the median or the side of the road will be the SUVs, usually the ones that just passed me on the road.

If you can, get a set of snows mounted on a set of steel rims and be happy. For the Ody, I run snows on a set of steel rims from TireRack. Bought a set of LX wheel covers and LX lug nuts. This way you can remove and replace in your garage and should take no more than 1/2 hour.

·
Registered
379 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
I picked up a set of Blizzak WS70's from Costco earlier this year for a very good price.

The Costco tire center wouldn't install them on my depaxed touring since it "didn't meet the OEM's requirements" (and they tried calling honda to get permission and honda's official position is apparently that a depaxed odyssey is not approved and unsafe... etc).

The WS70's work quite well - I've driven up steep hills through about two inches of slush sitting on top of glare ice and was able to make it up the hill just fine - albeit the traction control light was on the whole time and for part of the hill I was not going very fast up the hill. But those conditions are about as bad as they get so I was pleased with them.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Amen Brother.

Some of these anti-AWD comments are downright laughable.

A typical Subaru will do circles around (a well equipped) Ody in the snow.

There's roads and driveways in my area that are impassible in a snowstorm unless you're in an AWD/4wd. I've done some of them in our Ody, but it took a long time, lots of wheel-spin, wear/tear and wasted fuel.

You'll gently walk right up these areas with AWD, especially a Subaru.

Joel

·
Registered
120 Posts
Amen Brother.

Some of these anti-AWD comments are downright laughable.

A typical Subaru will do circles around (a well equipped) Ody in the snow.

There's roads and driveways in my area that are impassible in a snowstorm unless you're in an AWD/4wd. I've done some of them in our Ody, but it took a long time, lots of wheel-spin, wear/tear and wasted fuel.

You'll gently walk right up these areas with AWD, especially a Subaru.

Joel
How is the AWD Subaru gonna help you stop when you are in a full slide going down a snow covered hill? The answer is, of course, it's not. Only snow tires will help you stop before you plow into the guy in front of you. You certainly don't need AWD to stop. As a matter of fact, you don't need AWD to turn either. But hey, no worries. I'm sure your insurance company would be happy to pay for the damages to both our vehicles and my medical bills when you rear end me.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
...when you rear end me.
Not likely, as I'd carefully go around your van sitting hopelessly at the bottom of the hill.

In regards to sliding, stopping and turning? That's all about winter driving skill.

Obviously poor tires will put you into that situation much easier, but if you loose it, it doesn't matter if you've got premium snows, studs and/or AWD. Once you're in an out of control skid, you're going to fly out of control no matter what you're riding on.

Joel

·
Registered
120 Posts
1 - 20 of 32 Posts