Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that the northeast had it's first decent snow, I wonder how traction is for the Odyssey? I have been enjoying this forum and am anxiously waiting for my Odyssey.

·
Registered
131 Posts
The Michelin Symmetry's are OK but not great. The traction control helps out this problem.

The biggest problem is that if you have 240 horses under the hood, then it takes a soft foot to keep the tires from spinning.

I don't believe that there will ever be any concern of getting stuck though.

------------------
2002 EXL-RES Redrock Pearl

2001 Chevy 2500HD crewcab 4x4

·
Registered
512 Posts
I tried out the traction control last week after our first good snow in Chicagoland. I think its great. I never had such traction before. Got me up a steep unplowed and long entranceway with very little slippage. Sounded and felt just like it does when ABS kicks in.

------------------
MikeH
99 OdyEX
"can't believe I bought a forn car"

·
Registered
47 Posts
ODY is a nice van but snow traction isn't it's strong point. I just got back from my annual ski trip to Whistler B.C. and ran into a pretty good snow storm in Vancouver that lasted half way down through Washington. Our 2000 ODY LX had pretty poor traction compared to our previous '94 Caravan (shorty). I always run studded snow tires in the winter. Our Caravan and now ODY are our main family ski machines (I know, should be an SUV). The Caravan because of it's short length and light weight performed wonderfully in snow. The ODY doesn't. For over 20 years I've been driving all sorts of cars to my favorite ski resorts almost every weekend. The ODY, I hate to say, is one of the worst for a FWD vehicle. I suppose it's because of it's extreme weight or weight distribution. When loaded with gear and suit cases it just gets worse. I admit, I have not driven another FULL LENGTH FWD van loaded in the snow before. They may all be equally bad. Again, my shorty was great. Anyway, FWD cars without studded snow tires were spinning but still grabbing and going better than my ODY. And, yes, after 20+ years of winter snow driving on twisting cliff edged roads, I do know how to drive in snow. The ODY has several very good strong points, snow traction just happens not to be one of them. Oh, one more thing, traction control systems are worthless if you haven't got traction in the 1st place. So agrees my buddy with his 3 series BMW.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts