Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First, I didn't do this to depax our van... our Ody is an '07 EX-L, so no pax. See, after years of debating about the level of my interest in the Ody, I've finally succumbed to embracing the van. It has served its purpose(s) well, carrying the family, roadtripping from Seattle to Sarasota (packed full of stuff), and hauling stuff it should probably never have in it (i.e. a fully dressed small block!).

In any case, we were looking for new tires and I was shocked when I realized I was going to be spending $600 to get replacement tires that met my driving needs and fit the van's stock 16" wheels. After shopping around, doing a bit of math, and weighing the "value" of doing so, I convinced my SWMBO that upgrading wheels was a good idea and worthwhile investment long term. So today I called TireRack.com and ordered up a set of 18x8 Elbrus I03s and 245/55/18 BFG Radial T/As (OEM spec for new 2010 Camaros).

With shipping, new TPMS sensors, 3 year road hazard, and the free mount/balance, the total was right at $1100. This works out to $500 over just doing 16" tires, and given the move in the automotive industry where 18" wheels are much much much more common place, and that I can get a better selection and performance levels in 18" size tires, and that the size I'm using is actually OEM issue for what is a very popular performance car (2010 Camaro), I expect tires in this size will be readily available and fairly inexpensive. In fact, I expect they'll be as cheap or cheaper than buying 235/65/16 Ody stock replacements.

Anyway, I'll post pics when they're installed, but here are the pics and links to the wheels and tires I bought:

Elbrus I03s

BFG Radial T/A Spec 245/55/18

I'm pretty psych'd! :)

·
Super Moderator
13,475 Posts
I bet you'd be even more psych'd to see the thread in the dedicated wheels and tires forum. :D

Good looking rims you ordered up there.

Oh. BTW. Be prepared to pony up $100 - $150+ at the dealership for reprogramming the TPMS sensors in your EX-L. :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dvpatel said:
I bet you'd be even more psych'd to see the thread in the dedicated wheels and tires forum. :D

Good looking rims you ordered up there.

Oh. BTW. Be prepared to pony up $100 - $150+ at the dealership for reprogramming the TPMS sensors in your EX-L. :)
Thanks... I agonized over the wheels, ultimately choosing those based on their motorsports flavor and price point.

As for the TPMS calibration, my local dealer quoted me $60. TireRack said the average was $40-$50. And if my dealer did want to charge $100-$150, I would've just bought the Ateq Quickset TPMS programmer for $135 from TireRack instead. I can't justify buying one since I don't need it regularly to be able to switch between winter and summer wheels/tires.

·
Super Moderator
13,475 Posts
$60 is more reasonable. Earlier posts used to be $100+ but those days the programmers weren't cheap either. I suppose the prices of the programmers have got the stealers to walk a straight line. :D

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dvpatel said:
I suppose the prices of the programmers have got the stealers to walk a straight line. :D
I sure hope so... I recall reading about people paying up to $200 to have what is basically a 10 minute job to be done. Honda has certainly proven that they work every bit as hard as Toyota to make every dime they can. Unfortunately (fortunately?) it's come back to bite them a few times... lets hope they learn in the long term.

·
Registered
221 Posts
get those mounted!!!

i'm thinking about going to 18", too.

i need to address whether i'm going to upgrade rear springs or do air bags first.

then find 18s that can handle a decent load.

joel

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here ya go... took me 45 minutes to mount 'cause my damn compressor kept walking out of the garage. I need to find a way to secure it to the floor or to the wall so it doesn't vibrate its way down the street. Anyway, da pics...

And my wife taking it for its maiden voyage:

I'm pleased with the choice and the result. I really want to do some H&R lowering springs now to get it back to "stock" ride height, but I think I can live with it like this for while. :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
50 series is available (lots of 'em too), but Tire Rack suggested this size, and they were dead cheap at $76 per tire. The increase in width combined with the 55 series sidewall means the speedo will read somewhere between 2-3% slow... so when the speedo says 40mph, I'll actually be going somewhere between 40.8- 41.2 mph. Or at 70mph, it actually be 71.4-72.1mph. But I usually do 75-80mph on the highway, so I'll need to watch that a bit more so the FHP don't nail me.

Anyway, next time 'round I'll definitely look into 50 series, but I'm pleased with these for right now, especially at the price point.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Wow! $111 for the BFG Radial T/A Specs now... those have gone up a bunch since I paid $76 for 'em 2.5 years ago. Still, not bad compared to buying the "proper" small truck tires that are so often recommended.
Yeah man, you really lucked out there.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts