Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Absolutely. There's no problem at all integrating the NAVI & iVES.

My best guess is that the problems being discussed about the RES & NAV are likely due to (a) NAVI screen taking up too much dash room to fit DVD system or (b) the DVD system not allowing (yet) the NAVI functions to be integrated like current EX CD players. I think these are both issues Honda can overcome; I think they just didn't plan on alot of people going for leather, navi & RES.

Invoice price? You mean wholesale price? I think Trevor at HandA carries it for around $1400. I had a dealer here in town offer to install it for $150 but since I didn't buy one I don't know if he would have balked when I actually came in to have in installed or not.

[This message has been edited by nyvram (edited 08-27-2001).]

·
Registered
55 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by slocko:
Anyone know for sure? also, what is the invoice price on the IVES VCP system?</font>
hi - i wrote to www.rearseatvideo.com last night, sunday, about 6:00 a.m., and on monday 7:45 a.m. this reply was in my mailbox - timestamped 12:24 a.m. - geez, these guys are good. i was tired when i wrote my long winded query - here's their answer followed by my question. note, that their reply left me with a really good feeling, and i think i'll go this route (unless my dealer gives me a good break) - i'll likely buy the NAV and install their system 2 - which i still can't see as having a big difference from their system 1 - as far as i can tell, you pretty much should wait for the console on system 2 so it will look neat. i'm still not sure if you lose the function of the cup holder/tray - i think the ives makes you pull that out, but not sure - finally, i did find IVES installation instructions on the web about 1 month ago and i viewed them (in .pdf - adobe acrobat format) - looks like an involved installation - not terribly difficult, but something i would gladly pay $100 to $300 for someone ELSE who is qualified to install! (don't want to ruin my $30,000 + new toy for saving a few dollars) - ok - here's the text:

Gary,
To answer your questions. The Navigation system for the Odyssey is allot
more expensive to add later than when the vehicle is purchased. I know
because I checked for this option before ordering my Odyssey. It was
going to cost close to $4000 in parts alone, where it was only a $2000
or so option at time of vehicle purchase. This is because it is not put
in at the dealer, it comes from the factory this way.
The HMC (Honda Motor Company) System is allot more difficult to install
than our System #2 Odyssey kit, and the HMC System doesn't have as many
options as our Odyssey System #2. The System #2 is a far better system
overall. It is very easy to install compared to the HMC system. Most
customers say it took them about 3.0 hours to install by following our
EZ installation instructions with no prior experience or know-how about
cars. The Odyssey System #2 kit is our biggest seller. It is allot more
veristal. You can easily add extra screens, video devices such as DVD,
VCP, Camcorders, Laptop, Game Machines etc. to the System #2. The system
has a built-in video switcher that will control/switch between them all
which is really nice. There is a button on the screen and on the remote
to control each player. The HMC system uses a VCP that has to be used
for the system operate because it is a processor also. HOnda made it
really hard to add items to its kit. It has no input RCA jacks on the
front or back of the VCP as our System #2 does to add additional devices
or additional video screens. The HMC VCP console has a set of RCA input
jacks on the front of it for an additional player, but you can not hide
the wires to that player as you could if the VCP had RCA input jacks on
the back of it to hide the wires. We are adding a new addition to our
System #2 Odyssey kit options. (coming in a couple of weeks) It is the
same VCP console the HMC uses with a custom Stereo Hi-Fi VCP. We are
almost done with the production of it. It will cost a bit more, but at
least you will have that custom option along with all the other great
options our System #2 Odyssey Kit provides if you would like it.

I hope I helped answer your questions, and if I can be of further
assistance, please let me know.

Best Regards,

Mike Petrie
National Sales Manager
www.RearSeatVideo.com

Gary Wrote:
System Kit or Item Number? 2002 ody - hmc & system 2

comments:

PLEASE ANSWER ALL QUESTIONS;
Vehicle Make: honda
Vehicle Model
dy
Vehicle Year:2002
Sunroof:n.a
Rear A/C: think so!
Vehicle Interior Color: fern or quartz
Factory Roof Console:
Questions....
hi - i'm trying to make sense of your 2 video systems for the odyssey -
the general consensus of the ody site is most people seem to want
factory navigation and the RES, however honda makes you choose 1 - it
seems the NAV is harder to install after market, so we seem to be
looking for aftermarket entertainment systems - there has been mixed
feelings from a lot of people (like myself) between choosing a dvd
player from honda, or more preferably the video cassette player (my
preference) - basically, what is the differnce between your odyssey
systems? also, i had found installation instructions for the IVES
someplace previously and read them - semi complicated - i'm handy but
would likely pay someone to install - anyway, it seems the center
cupholder would have to be removed and lost - please send whatever
response you can and i'll be happy to post it to the odyssey site - and
thanks!
Gary Garland

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
very poor web site, but i like the systems they are selling. will keep them in mind.

thxs for sharing the info.

anyone here have experience with them?

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
by invoice price, I mean the price the dealer paid for the system. if i pay msrp and want the ives system, i am sure the dealer is going to try to mark up the equipment and the installation charges.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Gary (and others). I would strongly suggest you consider this system:

http://www.backseattheater.com/frfeatures.html

before making a purchase. You essentially get a much easier to install system (wireless) for about half of the cost of that 'system 2' you are talking about. Plus since it *is* wireless, you have the flexibility of putting it wherever you want in your vehicle (and taking it out when not in use to avoid potential theft or sun or cold damage from sitting outside).

I ordered just the system & headphones (basically what the system 2 is) from autotoys.com for $595 and plan to add a PS2 for my DVD needs. (Note: this way you don't have to pay for a useless VCP if you don't need it) Right now autotoys has free shipping for odyclub members too.

Anyway, just keep it in mind. I'm not affiliated w/ either TMI or autotoys but I spent months agonizing over this decision before actually purchasing a flipdown lcd and feel pretty good that I came out somewhere between the hardcore $300 Jensen 'diy'ers and the $1600+ iVES.

Oh, for a final cost so far; I've spent:

- $595 flipdown LCD & wireless headphones
- $26 350 watt power inverter from SamsClub
- $299 PS2* (*not yet purchased; I might still find it cheaper...hope springs eternal
)

and have a complete system for around $900 that plays DVD & games that I don't have to leave in the car if I don't want. Everything except for the 2 brackets which hold the LCD to the headliner come out of the van when not in use.

Oh, one more thing; I have NOT installed this unit yet. I don't want to be mirepresnting anything. Seahorse is the only odyclub member to install one (he's got pics available in the tech section) and he's been pretty happy with it.

[This message has been edited by nyvram (edited 08-27-2001).]

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why do the pictures of the IVES on Trevor's site look exactly the system 2 pictures from rearseatvideo? Are they the same thing?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Er... the wireless part is for transmission and reception of the picture. You still need to connect a power source to the LCD unless the LCD runs on batteries.

I'm not sure you are really saving any labor since if you connected the LCD to the DVD player you basically have the power connected.

Just my $0.02, let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
FYI,

Fry's Electronics in San Jose had an ad in the paper this weekend for a 5.6" ceiling mount LCD screen + DVD player + remote control for $399.

Looks like a deal to me,

Paul

·
Registered
585 Posts
Phoenix; yep you do have to run a power wire from the LCD to the dome light (nearby) to power the unit under the headliner but that is easy.

The PS2 (or VCP or whatever) merely connects to the 2.4 gHz transmitter which you can put anywhere. The reciever is built into the LCD housing. Also the transmitter doesn't need its own power so the only thing you have to 'plug-in' is the PS2 to transmitter, PS2 to inverter & inverter to ac outlet.

·
Registered
75 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Why do the pictures of the IVES on Trevor's site look exactly the system 2 pictures from rearseatvideo? Are they the same thing?</font>
I haven't checked out their pictures, but all of the i-VES shots that I have on our site I took of one they installed here.

-Trevor
http://www.HandA-Accessories.com/
(for a limited time the i-VES, subwoofer and in-dash CD Changer for $1738.80)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts