Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought 2019 500 miles much nicer then 2013. Electric break and pad replacement how we doing it?

·
Registered
356 Posts
Don’t you just pull the pads out and c-Clamp it to push the pistons back in and throw the new pads in? At least that’s how we do it in the bush anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

How would you compress the piston? Might as well kick off the topic today we all gonna need to change pads! Don't want to pay dealer 400.00!

Lets get the ball rolling and figure it out so in 40K miles Im all set to do the work.

:)

·
Registered
356 Posts
Isn’t that just the parking break mechanism? Just need to turn the parking break off for that’s one. The main breaks should still be hydraulic. That being said I’ve never done it on my ody. Maybe there’s something else stoping that method from being preformed. I would like to know if there is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
A lot of newer vehicles are coming with electronic parking brakes. In order to release the electronic parking brake you typically need either a handheld scanner device or software loaded onto a computer with a cable attached to the vehicle. I'm not sure how Honda does it but you probably wont be able to change the brakes as the rear pistons will not release on their own.

·
Registered
15 Posts
You just spin the piston back in like a normal, manually set, caliper/ebrake combo.
VW has this setup where you spin back the caliper on some of its older models. I believe all the newer ones are electronic - meaning you need to release the caliper using some sort of device.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The electronic parking break likely needs to be put in to a maintenance mode before attempting to retract the caliper piston. For example, here is a link to the thread that is applicable to my 2016 Mazda 6 that I found on Mazda 6 Club: DIY: - Rear Brake Maintenance Mode for 2016+ Ebrake.

Here are the instructions from the link:

HOW TO GET INTO MAINTENANCE MODE WRITTEN BY tomcat1446(Mazdas247):

The purpose of the maintenance mode is to back off the EPB motor so you can compress the pistons easily (DO NOT TURN THE PISTON) and NOT have to remove the e-brake from the caliper.

I can see how it is tempting for someone who doesn't know about these EPB to use the Lisle 28600 tool to try and turn them back in BUT IT WILL NOT WORK, the motor will not allow it, forcing it with a C-clamp will break the EPB motor. The motor must be backed off first with the procedure below.

I believe the dealer can use a scan tool computer to have the car enter EPB maintenace mode, but at least Mazda gave us an option for those who don't like going to the dealership with this procedure below. Without this procedure we would be at the mercy of the dealer to get the EPB motor to retract if we wanted to replace rear brake pads.

there are little nuances some people might miss so I add my notes in red............

Switching On Maintenance Mode

1. Switch the ignition ON (engine off). (you have to press the start button TWICE) pressing once only gives you ACC power, (do not press on brake otherwise engine will start, engine must be off)

2. Release the electric parking brake. (to release the parking brake, you have to have your foot on the brake pedal, then press down on EPB switch to release it, you will hear the motor releasing and the light on the EPB switch light goes off)

• (I'll simplify remaining steps here: after step 2, release foot from brake pedal, and move over and press accelerator pedal down fully and press down on the EPB switch at the same time and hold, then press the start button 3 times quickly, you will hear the motor moving and the yellow parking brake with exclamation point light up) you are now in maintenance mode.

Now go do whatever you need to do on the brakes, for the rear brake pistons DO NOT TURN THE PISTONS, compress them straight back like you would do the fronts. After they are compressed back make sure the grooves are lined up in perfect North South orientation per Mazda instructions use Lisle #28600 for minor adjustments only.

Even if you don't plan to do your own brakes, it would be a good idea to let your mechanic know about the maintenance mode. They might not be aware and turn the piston which may damage the EPB motor.

Ending Maintenance Mode

1. Switch the ignition ON (engine off). (you have to press the start button TWICE (do not press on brake otherwise engine will start, engine must be off) pressing once only gives you ACC power

(I'll simplify the remaining steps here: press accelerator pedal down fully and pull up on the EPB switch at the same time and hold, then press the start button 3 times quickly, you will hear the motor moving back and the yellow parking brake with exclamation point goes out)

you can then move your foot and press on the brake pedal and pull up the EPB, you will see the normal red brake light light up and you're done.

·
Registered
119 Posts
A lot of newer vehicles are coming with electronic parking brakes. In order to release the electronic parking brake you typically need either a handheld scanner device or software loaded onto a computer with a cable attached to the vehicle. I'm not sure how Honda does it but you probably wont be able to change the brakes as the rear pistons will not release on their own.
The manufacturer unnecessarily making things complicated. Nothing wrong with cable actuated parking brakes. Now we have needless complication just to screw over people who want to change brakes on their own.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
The manufacturer unnecessarily making things complicated. Nothing wrong with cable-actuated parking brakes. Now we have needless complication just to screw over people who want to change brakes on their own.
How true, adr5! These so-called geniuses sit in their fancy offices declaring, "We can this, this, and this." Not once do they have the brains to ask, "Should we?"

Let's see now, we have yet another device that requires electricity = more fuel needed for charging = more greenhouse gases = climate change...do I need to go on? If we can just push on a mechanical cable pedal that actuates the parking brake, doesn't that make more sense? I open all the drapes in my house to let daylight in rather than closing the drapes and turning on lights. Why do carmakers choose the latter?? Did I miss something here?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts