Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure exactly what happened, but they did no damage getting in (I ALWAYS LOCK it, but I suppose there is always the possibility of a first time.)

However, they did tear up the two glove boxes pretty good. We had them locked and they pried them open.

The insurance company is playing dueling deductibles, my $500 homeowner's deductible applies to the stolen items, and our $1,000 comprehensive deductible applies to the damage to the glove boxes.

So I'd like to keep the cost down as much as possible.

A couple of glove boxes are well within my abilities, but I do have some questions.

First, where's the best place to get the parts? Anyone have a good, inexpensive source?

Second, what is involved in keeping the lock from the first set (which wasn't damaged to my knowledge.

I'd rather not have to pay the dealer to do this as I'm sure they add a pretty premium to do something that I could do myself in a couple of hours on a Saturday afternoon.

Thanks for any help,

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Ask local dealer for PN, sometimes the cost is not that bad. Ask first.

Then buy the part and DIY.

Ebay has a 2007 Glovebox for $50.
Search under "honda odyssey glovebox" and you will see it.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
tsteele93 said:
Second, what is involved in keeping the lock from the first set (which wasn't damaged to my knowledge.
I wouldn't even think about trying to keep the old lock. The reason? Shouldn't ever lock the glovebox anyway. You saw the result of locking it. They'll steal whatever you have in there whether you lock it or not. And you found out the result if they do find it locked.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Yup...same reason why stores leave the cash drawer open at night. Thieves figure if it's locked, there must be something valuable inside.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Steve P said:
I wouldn't even think about trying to keep the old lock. The reason? Shouldn't ever lock the glovebox anyway. You saw the result of locking it. They'll steal whatever you have in there whether you lock it or not. And you found out the result if they do find it locked.
We keep it locked because my wife keeps her .357 Magnum in the glovebox and we have small kids. I know it won't keep a thief out, but it keeps the kids from getting a hold of it.

·
Registered
778 Posts
tsteele93 said:
We keep it locked because my wife keeps her .357 Magnum in the glovebox and we have small kids. I know it won't keep a thief out, but it keeps the kids from getting a hold of it.
I have to admit, I didn't see that reason coming...

·
Super Moderator
13,475 Posts
Cntrtwnltd said:
I have to admit, I didn't see that reason coming...
Me neither. Now I am wondering if the magnum vanished.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
If someone broke into mine and did not steal it or burn it....I'd be very upset..... So long as the more valuable baseball equip were not in the rear

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
tsteele93 said:
I guess that is a good reason to lock it. :eek:
So there's another gun in the hands of criminals?

(Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti gun.)

·
Registered
469 Posts
wild willy said:
If someone broke into mine and did not steal it or burn it....I'd be very upset..... So long as the more valuable baseball equip were not in the rear
Am with you on this one! :D burn it down to the ground!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Steve P said:
I guess that is a good reason to lock it. :eek:
So there's another gun in the hands of criminals?

(Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti gun.)
Yeah, I wasn't happy about that either. Unfortunately even with a CWP you can't carry everywhere and are forced to leave it in the car.

·
Registered
778 Posts
tsteele93 said:
Yeah, I wasn't happy about that either. Unfortunately even with a CWP you can't carry everywhere and are forced to leave it in the car.
I would suggest locking it in the infloor storage. Every car's got a glove box, but not all of them have infloor storage and to me, it looks harder to break into.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Cntrtwnltd said:
I would suggest locking it in the infloor storage. Every car's got a glove box, but not all of them have infloor storage and to me, it looks harder to break into.
Good idea! Most thieves wouldn't even know that the infloor storage compartment is there.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
davedrivesody said:
Good idea! Most thieves wouldn't even know that the infloor storage compartment is there.

It would be rather difficult to get to if you need it.......

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
wild willy said:
Yeah, if I was going to be away from the van for a while that would be a good spot. We just went into gattitown for a couple of hours with the kids.

·
Registered
778 Posts
wild willy said:
I know, but it sounded to me like its only stored there when visiting zero tolerance places, like schools.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
wild willy said:
That's true! Never having owned a gun, I never thought of why it was in the van in the first place. What about storing it in the drawer under the passenger seat instead?

·
Registered
778 Posts
davedrivesody said:
That's true! Never having owned a gun, I never thought of why it was in the van in the first place. What about storing it in the drawer under the passenger seat instead?
I think they want it locked so the kids don't get to it.

·
Registered
7,317 Posts
Gunvault makes some items, and this from ConsoleVault might be an option.

ConsoleVault

OF

1 - 20 of 20 Posts