Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys my dad has a 2001 EX and he was telling me when he applies the brakes the pedal goes all the way to the ground and does not feel firm. I figured he needed a brake fluid flush so took it to the mechanic for him. after they checked out his car they told me his right caliper has failed which is wearing down the right brake pad. they also said that the brake master cylinder might need to be replaced but they wouldnt know until i give them the go ahead to remove everything to find out. they quoted me $300 out the door using honda parts for caliper and pad replacement and a brake fluid flush and if i pay cash they would give me a discount so it would cost $265. It would be another $300 if the master cylinder needed replacement. does this sound about right or should i get a second opinion somewhere else? thanks for the help

·
Registered
145 Posts
If you have a few hours, you could probably save about half that. Brakes are easy to deal with (search the forum), and the master cylinder is not bad to change. I haven't done either on the odyssey, but have on other hondas and it is not bad. There are some good instructions on here for both.

·
Registered
71 Posts
as far as the price goes it sounds about right. but honestly if you have a 8mm 10mm 12mm 14mm wrenches about 2 ft of 1/8 inch vacuum hose and a clean container (20oz soda bottle etc) you could do the job your self do it properly and only spend about half that amount.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
I agree with the other folks, if you are mechanically inclined you can do it yourself. If not then the mechanic could be right and the parts wouldn't be cheap. Of course you can get rebuilts cheaper. Here's your typical test, if you push hard on the brake pedal and it slowly goes to the floor then check and see if there is fluid on the ground around the car which would show a leak but seeing you haven't mentioned needing to add brake fluid my bet is on the master cylinder. All it takes is a bit of debris in there to mess up the seals. The fluid should be replaced periodically and I think Honda specifies OEM fluid. BTW, if you replace the master cylinder then the fluid needs to be totally flushed out or you could have more issues in the future.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the posts guys. my parents and i live in a condo so we do not have access to a garage or driveway. my dad just told me to go ahead with the shop and it turned out the brake master cylinder was fine and the right caliper, pads, and brake fluid were changed. i took it to another mechanic and the final bill was $250.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts