Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else get the letter from Honda instructing you to update the radio software? Even says that you may have to remove the radio fuse if you’re clock is off by an hour. Funny, I had to remove this fuse to “fix” my radio the other day and I’m wondering if it was due to this bug. I actually couldn’t update my software at the time because the radio thought the car was moving...the engine was off and the driver door was open. Have since updated the software and all seems good now.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Got the same mailed envelope with printed color book on resetting the radio and fuse. I haven’t had the digital clock 1 hr back issue though, so not going to do it yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got the same mailed envelope with printed color book on resetting the radio and fuse. I haven’t had the digital clock 1 hr back issue though, so not going to do it yet.

I don’t think I had a clock issue either but honestly I didn’t pay much attention to it when the screen wouldn’t turn off and I pulled the fuse to fix it, maybe that corrected my clock? Either way, seems like there’s a bigger issue than the clock, why would they strongly recommend an update as soon as possible to fix a clock?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Which fuse is it?
Under the dash under the steering wheel fuse 37, it is a blue 15A fuse in my car. Also in my car there was a fuse map on the plastic panel near the footrest. Fuse puller tool is located in a fuse box under the hood in the engine compartment.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Dealer took care of it during last service along with some transmission related recall whether they had to check software or battery.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm not able to get this software update for some reason. My Honda SW Version in the settings is B.1.0.21. According to the letter, it's supposed to be B.1.0.26. I've tried updating both wirelessly and through the USB drive and both state that my software is "up to date" when it doesn't appear to be.

Anyone else encountering this?

I have the Touring version.

·
Registered
14 Posts
New member here with a 2018 EX. I received the mail a few days ago, tried doing the Over-the-Air (OTA) update but the van couldn't see my WiFi network. Looked up how to do the update using a USB drive, but that ended up being an issue. My USB flash drive is old (circa 2006), so I suspect the driver is incompatible with Honda's software. However, a driver search didn't show any updated drivers, so I'm off to Best Buy this afternoon to pick up a new flash drive.

While I was working through USB issues, I did try my iPod for the first time. Good results, and it sounds much better than I expected. I see some playlists in my future for long trips.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Try Starbucks WiFi, start the update, get a coffee and relax. Actually about any public WiFi should work, or use the dealer's WiFi next service.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've encountered this. I have a 2019 Elite. It also says that my system is up-to-date no matter if I use WiFi or the USB method to try and update. I pulled the 15A fuse as well and when it boots and I clear the anti-theft message the software version still says B.1.0.21.

I'm not able to get this software update for some reason. My Honda SW Version in the settings is B.1.0.21. According to the letter, it's supposed to be B.1.0.26. I've tried updating both wirelessly and through the USB drive and both state that my software is "up to date" when it doesn't appear to be.

Anyone else encountering this?

I have the Touring version.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Try Starbucks WiFi, start the update, get a coffee and relax. Actually about any public WiFi should work, or use the dealer's WiFi next service.
I might have to.

Was at Best Buy and purchased a brand new SanDisk Cruzer Glide USB Flash Drive. Took it out of the package, inserted directly in the center console USB port, and it was accepted. Waited for it to download the van's information, brought the drive inside and inserted it into my laptop. Followed the instructions, got to the step about checking for system updates, selected the .json file as instructed, clicked on the button "Check for System Updates," and.........got an error message.

So, I tried something a bit different. The instructions say to turn off power, then remove the USB drive. I reversed the process a bit, I removed the USB drive first, then turned off power. Brought the USB drive inside, inserted it into my laptop, selected the .json file, clicked on the button "Check for System Updates," and...it started checking for updates, then....error message.

So...this whole USB update is very buggy. Depends on how I feel tomorrow I might try a few steps differently. One thing I noticed, it's not evident when the van is done writing to the USB drive. During the second attempt I left the drive in the center console a bit longer, and the step on the laptop where it's checking for system updates went a bit longer before popping an error message.

So, if you're still with me, might want to skip the whole USB update process. Find a decent WiFi signal somewhere and do it OTA, as you suggested.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Format your USB stick with FAT32. When the instructions say to turn off power, kill the power and wait 1 full minute then pull the USB stick out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Format your USB stick with FAT32. When the instructions say to turn off power, kill the power and wait 1 full minute then pull the USB stick out.
MtMan, thanks for your reply. Just an FYI, my old stick was formatted with FAT32, which didn't work, and then exFAT, which also didn't work. The newly purchased stick came formatted with FAT32. Not sure why a new stick was accepted when an older stick gave an error code.

I will try leaving the stick in a full minute, thanks for your suggestion. I'll report back with my progress.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Give it a few weeks, it will work....software updates aren’t sent out to all VINs at the same time.

Interesting, didn't know that. Thanks. If MtMan's suggestion about leaving the stick in for a minute after power off doesn't work, then I'll sit back and be patient. Though, as an engineer, it's not in my nature to be patient. I'm eager to find a solution. :)

Thanks again.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Mtman is correct about the updates. After an update is released, it might take months for the updates to become available to your vehicle.
If that was the case wouldn't I be getting a message saying "Updates are not available for your vehicle at this time," or something similar? I'm not trying to be argumentative, just confused. Bear with me, I'm new to all this. My last Odyssey was a 2003, so I didn't have to go through all this.

After I insert the USB stick into my laptop I go through all the steps for checking updates, the page labelled "Step 2: Check for System Updates" starts to show progress, then ends with "Error, please try again." That indicates an error in the process. Also, something I hadn't mentioned yet, the .json file downloaded from my van is only 3 KB. If it contained all my vehicle's information, I suspect it should be larger.

·
Registered
14 Posts
...When the instructions say to turn off power, kill the power and wait 1 full minute then pull the USB stick out.
Tried that, no joy. I compared the two .json files (one from last night and one from today) and they were identical. BTW, the 3 KB file might not be unusual. Looking through the file it appears to have all the version information for the software in my van.

So right now I'm out of ideas on using a USB stick for updates. I could wait a while and try later, but I think I'm too impatient for that. I'll probably park myself outside a known WiFi spot and sit there with a cup of coffee as suggested.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, they are very much appreciated.

·
Registered
93 Posts
We never received our letter yet for the 2020. Does anyone have a full text they can upload?
Also, as a suggestion if your mobile plan allows it, you may be able to use your phone to allow your car to check for updates.
If you own a later Samsung device, go to Settings > Connections > Mobile Hotspot and Tethering > Mobile Hotspot. If your phone currently has wifi turned on, when you tap to turn on the hotspot it will ask you to turn wifi off and then you can set up your wifi password etc.
From your van, you can now go to system updates and select wireless. When it "sees" your phone wifi - connect to it using your password you just created. Let the car do its thing. When it's done - turn off hotspot on your phone.
Hope this helps someone.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Interesting, didn't know that. Thanks. If MtMan's suggestion about leaving the stick in for a minute after power off doesn't work, then I'll sit back and be patient. Though, as an engineer, it's not in my nature to be patient. I'm eager to find a solution. :)

Thanks again.
It’s normal, some people get the updates before it shows up as available for their VIN, Honda controls the rollout in batches. I usually get it 1-2 months after the first person has reported here that they got an update.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts