Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I’ve been traveling with my Ody cross country recently, and noticed that there is an intermittent sound coming from the back of the cabin. The best way I can describe it is that it sounds like a golf ball or round item shifting in a compartment. I thought it was small flashlight tipping in a cup holder.

Here is what I checked with not success in stopping the noise:
Checked jack and tools compartment for loose tools.
Opened spare tire compartment/storage bin for anything not tightened up.
Checked all cup holders and compartments in rear and doors.
Checked rectangular storage compartments.
Checked under carpet storage bin in center of cabin between first and second row.
Notes: second row mid seat is removed. Second row passenger side captain’s chair removed.

Sound does not occur when the third row seats are folded down.
Sound DOES occur when the third row seats are up.

2007 Odyssey E
Google search for similar description took me to a vibration damper bar in the middle second row seat under the cup holder in a touring model.

How can I determine what is going on in the third row?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2005 Honda Odyssey... for towing, camping, & fetching parts for the German cars. :-/
64 Posts
Long shot... but I had similar noises. Turned out to be (mostly) gravel in the rear bumper fascia. Didn't happen ALL the time. Since that's a cheap & easy check, grab a flashlight.

The other thing mine turned out to be was trailing arm mounts. They wear out. Right now, I'm just putting up with this problem; it's a bit more involved to fix (though here's a video illustrating how to check & repair that).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Long shot... but I had similar noises. Turned out to be (mostly) gravel in the rear bumper fascia. Didn't happen ALL the time. Since that's a cheap & easy check, grab a flashlight.

The other thing mine turned out to be was trailing arm mounts. They wear out. Right now, I'm just putting up with this problem; it's a bit more involved to fix (though here's a video illustrating how to check & repair that).
I’ve removed the rear bumper and no joy. All clear. I should note that the sound is more tinny or metallic in nature. I recorded it today while I drove around the Lowe’s parking lot.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi,
I’ve been traveling with my Ody cross country recently, and noticed that there is an intermittent sound coming from the back of the cabin. The best way I can describe it is that it sounds like a golf ball or round item shifting in a compartment. I thought it was small flashlight tipping in a cup holder.

Here is what I checked with not success in stopping the noise:
Checked jack and tools compartment for loose tools.
Opened spare tire compartment/storage bin for anything not tightened up.
Checked all cup holders and compartments in rear and doors.
Checked rectangular storage compartments.
Checked under carpet storage bin in center of cabin between first and second row.
Notes: second row mid seat is removed. Second row passenger side captain’s chair removed.

Sound does not occur when the third row seats are folded down.
Sound DOES occur when the third row seats are up.

2007 Odyssey E
Google search for similar description took me to a vibration damper bar in the middle second row seat under the cup holder in a touring model.

How can I determine what is going on in the third row?

Thanks!
Adding recording (link) of sound 5/4/2020 Phone was on floor of far rear storage area behind 3rd row seats as I drove slowly with sharp turns in a parking lot.

·
Registered
2005 Honda Odyssey... for towing, camping, & fetching parts for the German cars. :-/
64 Posts
Adding recording (link) of sound 5/4/2020 Phone was on floor of far rear storage area behind 3rd row seats as I drove slowly with sharp turns in a parking lot.
Unfortunately... I don't have permission to access file, but not sure that'd help much. I do have one other recommendation: recruit a helper to drive around so you can get in the back & investigate. I recommend picking up one of these. Likely the best $5 I've EVER spent on a tool. Mechanic's Stethoscope

·
Registered
13,495 Posts
Are you sure it's coming from inside the vehicle? Have you checked all the heat shields around the exhaust?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I am out of town, and don’t know anyone in my current locale. With covid-19, I’m not asking just anyone to drive the van around or to get in back. ;) In the meantime, I have checked for loose items, including in the sliding door gaps. Nothing. I’ll look under the car some more, including the exhaust system.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
SOLVED: Spare tire (which is stored inside on 2007 Ody) was ever so slightly loose. 5-6 turns of the bolt solved it.

After many suggestions, I opened the sliding doors, and shook the whole body like a champ. I was able to narrow down the source to the driver-side rear interior. I checked the jack/tools/bracket again. No joy. After I opened up the spare tire well, I found that tightening the tire (which didn't feel loose) resolved the 'rolling golf ball' sound. 🤷‍♂️

Thank you all!

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
SOLVED: Spare tire (which is stored inside on 2007 Ody) was ever so slightly loose. 5-6 turns of the bolt solved it.

After many suggestions, I opened the sliding doors, and shook the whole body like a champ. I was able to narrow down the source to the driver-side rear interior. I checked the jack/tools/bracket again. No joy. After I opened up the spare tire well, I found that tightening the tire (which didn't feel loose) resolved the 'rolling golf ball' sound. 🤷‍♂️

Thank you all!
There you go!

That spare tire got loose on me few times.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts